The Student Room Group

What Engineering Should I Do?

As per title. Long story short;
I like cars. Everything About them
I like fuels like biodiesel and ethanol, and the process behind them. I like algae and biodigesters.
I like aeroplanes. Jet engines especially.
I like building stuff. Like miniature production plants.

I don't like medical, electronic and robotic engineering so much.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Mechanical 💯
Original post by vuvuzela
I like fuels like biodiesel and ethanol, and the process behind them. I like algae and biodigesters.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Posted from TSR Mobile

Three only real options.
Aeronautical Engineering
Mechanical Engineering
Chemical Engineering
Reply 3
Original post by Kadak
Posted from TSR Mobile

Three only real options.
Aeronautical Engineering
Mechanical Engineering
Chemical Engineering

Yeah but which of the three would you recommend?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 4
If you're unsure, look at unis/courses that do a general engineering course. On many of these you do a general first year before choosing your specialization, you may take modules from multiple disciplines to help you decide.
Yeah but which of the three would you recommend?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Posted from TSR Mobile

Hmm,I would go for chemical engineering.
Reply 6
Original post by malakai
If you're unsure, look at unis/courses that do a general engineering course. On many of these you do a general first year before choosing your specialization, you may take modules from multiple disciplines to help you decide.

Good advice. Thanks

Posted from TSR Mobile

Hi,

Have you considered the University of Bolton's very unique opportunity in our Centre for Advanced Performance Engineering, one of the UK’s leading centres for the study of Advanced Performance Engineering, preparing students for the best careers in engineering. where we have a professional racing team RLR Motorsport, who you work alongside whilst studying and also a new unique partnership with Ginetta, a global British racing team.

If you like cars, engines, racing, motorsport, aerodynamics and hands on experience then theres nothing else like it in the country. Check the site out:

http://www.bolton.ac.uk/CAPE/Home.aspx

Any other questions, feel free to ask :smile:
Reply 8
Original post by University of Bolton
Hi,

Have you considered the University of Bolton's very unique opportunity in our Centre for Advanced Performance Engineering, one of the UK’s leading centres for the study of Advanced Performance Engineering, preparing students for the best careers in engineering. where we have a professional racing team RLR Motorsport, who you work alongside whilst studying and also a new unique partnership with Ginetta, a global British racing team.

If you like cars, engines, racing, motorsport, aerodynamics and hands on experience then theres nothing else like it in the country. Check the site out:

http://www.bolton.ac.uk/CAPE/Home.aspx

Any other questions, feel free to ask :smile:

Wow I gotta say I'm impressed, that looooks SO good! Wish i could do that!

Do your students actually get to go to the manufacturing centres and help build the Le mans race cars?
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by a10
Wow I gotta say I'm impressed, that looooks SO good! Wish i could do that!

Do your students actually get to go to the manufacturing centres and help build the Le mans race cars?

Hi,

The students work on the actual cars that race with the guidance of RLR, Ginetta and race drivers that the team has. Its a very unique opportunity and currently Ginetta alongside RLR have built the worlds first Ginetta-Juno LMP3 car. This will get the students as close to the circuit as possible with hands on experience. Check the link out:

http://www.bolton.ac.uk/MediaCentre/Articles/2014/Oct2014-04.aspx
I'd say find somewhere which has a common core between mech and aero so you can easily transfer between the two courses, Leeds is the place I can name off the top of my head, high mech content with basically no electronics and computer science like other aero degrees especially and some mech, and they appear to have a formula student team.
Reply 11
Original post by Helloworld_95
I'd say find somewhere which has a common core between mech and aero so you can easily transfer between the two courses, Leeds is the place I can name off the top of my head, high mech content with basically no electronics and computer science like other aero degrees especially and some mech, and they appear to have a formula student team.

Thanks for reply. I am aiming at the top unis down south (not to disrespect anybody or any uni). After watching a lot of videos of what all of the aforementioned engineering branches entail, I am strongly drawn towards chemical engineering. I am keeping my options open tho

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest