Scared of Driving After Passing 4 Years Ago Watch

Hav18
Badges: 0
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
Hi,

I passed my driving test nearly 4 years ago (4 years in May), I passed the first time with 3 minors. But I've not been able to afford insurance or anything since that point. I've just brought a car (with all of my savings) as I've got a job starting in September about 10 miles away from home. And I've been driving with my dad and since driving with him my confidence has just plummeted. I've been really struggling to do it, this morning a car just jumped out in front of me (he was turning right) and I had to break sharply and it's really really shook me up. After that today I had my worse driving experience ever. I don't know what to do, this job is too awkward for me to commute to but I just don't know how I'm going to get there. And I've literally just spent £4000 on this car and insurance etc and now I feel like I've just wasted my money. How do I get more confident driving? Because right now I feel like I should just give it up.
dhr90
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Take some refresher driving lessons with an instructor. I was in the same position, except it had been 5 years.

First 2 or 3 journeys I went out at a quiet time of the day and just found a quiet area linking 2 roundabouts and just did some laps to get used to driving on my own after the refresher lessons I took. Just take your time, leave plenty of distance to other cars, breathe slowly and stay calm. Confidence just takes time and practice.
louisefuller21
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Hello, I am just commenting as I am almost in the exact same position except I passed my test summer last year and have been scared of driving by myself since then. I live in a busy town and I find driving in traffic really daunting, I try to take my time whilst driving but feel like I continually have pressure from other drivers. I have been practicing late at night when the roads are bit quieter but I am still getting confused with lanes as I do not know my area very well as haven't been here long. I am hoping to push myself tomorrow and drive in rush hour tomorrow to hopefully boost my confidence. Please share when you've conquered your fear to help give me hope
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How has the start of this academic year been for you?

Loving it - gonna be a great year (127)
18.12%
It's just nice to be back! (192)
27.39%
Not great so far... (251)
35.81%
I want to drop out! (131)
18.69%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed