Complete lack of motivation, drive, or ambition Watch

Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
I was not entirely sure as to where this particular thread should be posted, so I apologise if it has been placed within the wrong forum section. Given the topic, mental health seemed the most appropriate

---------------------------------

So, before I actually detail what is wrong, I just wanted to confirm the intention of this thread. I am not attempting to let off steam or get sympathy, I want some genuine advice from people who have experienced this. So any advice you have would be greatly appreciated.

----------------------------------

So what is the problem? Well for the last month or so, I have lost ALL motivation and drive for absolutely everything. I could probably summarise the problem as 'I just can't be arsed with anything'.

For the last month or so, I have been very anti-social to the point where I have spent almost 95% of my time in my room. I have absolutely no motivation to go out and do something social, even when invited and encouraged by friends to do so.

I have plenty of University work that I should be doing, but likewise, I have absolutely no motivation for doing it. Whereas I could normally breeze through several essays in a week or so, I have been stuck on the same (very easy) essay for the last week. I just cannot be bothered doing the reading or actually constructing an argument.

It has got to the point where I can't be bothered to cook or play games either; two of my favourite things! For the most part, I just want to stay in bed.

Now, I am used to this sort of lull happening once or twice a year - but it usually only lasts a week or so, most certainly not a month. I feel tired and bored, and lack all motivation and drive for anything.

I suspect many TSR users have experienced this sort of thing - what did you do about it? Any 'life hacks' or tips you could share?
HandmadeTurnip
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
It sounds a lot like depression. Maybe have a talk with your doctor? Or contact your university's counselling service?
Anonymous #1
(Original post by HandmadeTurnip)
It sounds a lot like depression. Maybe have a talk with your doctor? Or contact your university's counselling service?
Hmm... I have absolutely no reason to be depressed though... and I honestly wouldn't feel comfortable opening up to someone on that level - I am quite reserved about anything like that.
Sabertooth
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
Hmm... I have absolutely no reason to be depressed though... and I honestly wouldn't feel comfortable opening up to someone on that level - I am quite reserved about anything like that.
You don't necessarily need a "reason" to be depressed, sometimes it just happens. I agree with the other poster that it does sound a lot like depression (although, obviously, I'm not a doctor).

Do you have any friends or family you could talk to if you don't want to talk to a counselor/doctor?
Anonymous #1
(Original post by Sabertooth)
You don't necessarily need a "reason" to be depressed, sometimes it just happens. I agree with the other poster that it does sound a lot like depression (although, obviously, I'm not a doctor).

Do you have any friends or family you could talk to if you don't want to talk to a counselor/doctor?
I have friends and family I could speak to about it but honestly would feel very uncomfortable doing it. I am very reserved with things such as these and would rather not have to 'open myself up'

I would love some tips or hints on dealing with it but preferably by myself.
Airmed
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
I was not entirely sure as to where this particular thread should be posted, so I apologise if it has been placed within the wrong forum section. Given the topic, mental health seemed the most appropriate

---------------------------------

So, before I actually detail what is wrong, I just wanted to confirm the intention of this thread. I am not attempting to let off steam or get sympathy, I want some genuine advice from people who have experienced this. So any advice you have would be greatly appreciated.

----------------------------------

So what is the problem? Well for the last month or so, I have lost ALL motivation and drive for absolutely everything. I could probably summarise the problem as 'I just can't be arsed with anything'.

For the last month or so, I have been very anti-social to the point where I have spent almost 95% of my time in my room. I have absolutely no motivation to go out and do something social, even when invited and encouraged by friends to do so.

I have plenty of University work that I should be doing, but likewise, I have absolutely no motivation for doing it. Whereas I could normally breeze through several essays in a week or so, I have been stuck on the same (very easy) essay for the last week. I just cannot be bothered doing the reading or actually constructing an argument.

It has got to the point where I can't be bothered to cook or play games either; two of my favourite things! For the most part, I just want to stay in bed.

Now, I am used to this sort of lull happening once or twice a year - but it usually only lasts a week or so, most certainly not a month. I feel tired and bored, and lack all motivation and drive for anything.

I suspect many TSR users have experienced this sort of thing - what did you do about it? Any 'life hacks' or tips you could share?

I have friends and family I could speak to about it but honestly would feel very uncomfortable doing it. I am very reserved with things such as these and would rather not have to 'open myself up'

I would love some tips or hints on dealing with it but preferably by myself.
Hi.

So, what you have described has been me for the past 2 years (except I'm doing my A2 exams now in May).

I don't like talking to people myself. Despise it, in fact. And I always thought that it was a lull with myself, that I'd find my interests in my work and planning for uni life again. But no, not really. Maybe one day out of say 30 days I feel motivated and driven but most of the time I'm so not bothered about it and I don't care about anything.

What you've described, as said by the other 2, is depression. In fact, what you're feeling is partly why I was referred by my GP and last week I was diagnosed with moderate depression. As for the not liking to open up to people, for me that's because I also have social anxiety disorder, and probably a whole lot of lacking emotions to people.

All I can say is that if you go to your GP, they don't have to tell your parents since you're well an adult at uni. But feeling like this solid for a month isn't healthy. Take it from the 2 years long sufferer!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you made up your mind on your five uni choices?

Yes I know where I'm applying (57)
67.06%
No I haven't decided yet (18)
21.18%
Yes but I might change my mind (10)
11.76%

Watched Threads