Did I get rejected for being an EU student? Watch

apen610
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
Hi, I don't mean to sound pretentious or anything asking about this after getting rejected, but I just got rejected from St Andrew's for Physics, and I was wondering whether me being classed as an EU student was a factor in this. I'm from Northern Ireland where we have dual British/Irish citizenship, and St. Andy's classed me as an EU student even though I should really be RUK. I've heard that there is stiffer competition for EU students - is this true?
I got AAAA at AS and I thought my personal statement was pretty darn good, and people I've spoken to had said that should get me in alright.

Thoughts?
DevonPL
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
The thing about stiff competition for EU students is 100% true and this might be the reason they rejected you. I'm from EU and was rejected from Edinburgh with grades much higher than last year's typical offer whereas folks that i've met here from the UK got offers with lower grades.
FionaMG
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
It's interesting that the two unis mentioned are both in Scotland. As an ex-pat Scot myself, I kind of have an inkling that, all other things being equal (-ish), Scottish unis are more likely to give preference to Scottish students so EU students need to be waaaay more competitive to stand a chance.

We live in Portugal so my daughter is classed as an EU student. She got offers from 1 uni in Wales and 3 in England. Only the Scottish uni that she applied to turned her down and out of the 5 it was, according to the info on their website, the second least-demanding. They claimed the course was very competitive and that her application was not competitive enough. Her qualifications were more than adequate and we're talking modern languages here, so I'm not entirely sure I believe them... :rolleyes:
apen610
Rep:
?
You don't suppose there's anyway they would way reconsider my application, as an RUK student?
FionaMG
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by apen610)
You don't suppose there's anyway they would way reconsider my application, as an RUK student?
Actually, yes. Here's why: At Scottish universities tuition fees for Scottish and EU students are paid by the Scottish government, so there's a cap on the number of places. However, this cap does not apply to applicants from the rest of the UK because they are responsible for their own tuition fees.

The best example of this is Clearing. Take a look at these two Clearing 2014 pages from the same uni and you will see what I mean.

http://www.napier.ac.uk/study/cleari...ottish-EU.aspx
http://www.napier.ac.uk/study/cleari...-students.aspx

There were virtually no places left for Scottish and EU applicants but there were loads for applicants from England, Northern Ireland and Wales.

If you had your heart set on St. Andrew's, I would say you should definitely get in touch with them and point your "rest-of-UK" status out to them. It may make all the difference. As I see it, you have nothing to lose and absolutely everything to gain.

I hope it works out for you. Good luck.
apen610
Rep:
?
(Original post by FionaMG)
Actually, yes. Here's why: At Scottish universities tuition fees for Scottish and EU students are paid by the Scottish government, so there's a cap on the number of places. However, this cap does not apply to applicants from the rest of the UK because they are responsible for their own tuition fees.

The best example of this is Clearing. Take a look at these two Clearing 2014 pages from the same uni and you will see what I mean.

http://www.napier.ac.uk/study/cleari...ottish-EU.aspx
http://www.napier.ac.uk/study/cleari...-students.aspx

There were virtually no places left for Scottish and EU applicants but there were loads for applicants from England, Northern Ireland and Wales.

If you had your heart set on St. Andrew's, I would say you should definitely get in touch with them and point your "rest-of-UK" status out to them. It may make all the difference. As I see it, you have nothing to lose and absolutely everything to gain.

I hope it works out for you. Good luck.

Wow, I see what you mean about the number of places! I've sent an email to admissions, so I'll wait and see what happens, although it's not the end of the world if I don't get in.

Thanks!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Bristol
    Undergraduate Open Afternoon Undergraduate
    Wed, 23 Oct '19
  • University of Exeter
    Undergraduate Open Day - Penryn Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 23 Oct '19
  • University of Nottingham
    Mini Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 23 Oct '19

Have you made up your mind on your five uni choices?

Yes I know where I'm applying (154)
59.46%
No I haven't decided yet (60)
23.17%
Yes but I might change my mind (45)
17.37%

Watched Threads