How to break up after a long relationship Watch

Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
In a nutshell it started out great. We had some disagreements (nothing major) but we talked. We discussed problems in the relationship and figured out what each of us could do to help sort it out.

It is now a year and 2 more conversation like this later and she hasn't tried a bit, while I have tried everything to get us to work out. TBH I'm sick of it and just want out now.

She still says she loves me though and I have been trying to avoid saying it (I can't stop saying it all together or she will know, I'm not breaking up unless it is in person).

How do I break up with her in person, I'm not sure how to go about it. I'm usually on the receiving end. She still says she loves me so I know it will hit her hard, is there anything I can do to make it easier for her?
Spike1999
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
what about taking a break from each other and see how you feel afterwards?
Anonymous #1
Doesn't that give a false sense of hope though? I honestly don't know how I will feel afterwards but I wouldn't want to give false hope just in case.
mollymadworld
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Just be brutally honest with her, tell her what your problems are, and tell her that you don't want to be in the relationship. The longer you keep up with this false pretence of love the harder it is going to be to break up with her.
Honesty is the best policy, otherwise you are going to become trapped in this relationship that you know is going no where.
Spike1999
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Well it could do, at least with time apart from each other you have time to think about what you really want. I would be risky to break up now and then realise further down the line that you've made a big mistake.
Spike1999
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
but then again it does sound like you are not going to change your mind .
username1837067
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Be sensitive to her feelings but don't give her false hope
Anonymous #1
What would be the best place to do it? Mine, hers, somewhere neutral?
Spike1999
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
I recommend neutral ground.
boro_andy
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Broke up with my ex of almost seven years 18 months or so ago. It was over probably 2 years before that really, we just didn't acknowledge it.

I broke it off, she was devastated and wouldn't leave it for 3 months. Turns out she was doing the dirty anyway.

Break ups aren't pleasant, but they do have to happen sometimes. Just get on with it, no point dragging it out. If she finds out you've been planning it for a while it'll hurt her more.

Good luck!
infairverona
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Just get it over with otherwise you'll have to face loads of interrogation 'oh but you said you loved me this morning' etc etc
boro_andy
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
One thing I also learnt, be selfish.

If you are not happy, change it. Regardless of the outcome.
Rock Fan
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Best just to be honest and tell her you want to break up, I would advise against a break from each other because they never really work.
Anonymous #2
Report 4 years ago
I'd do it at hers so that you are the one who has to travel afterwards - if she's really upset it'll be better for her to be at home rather than trying to get home in floods of tears.

I wouldn't be "brutally" honest. Be kind but firm. Be prepared for the things she might say (e.g. she might say that now she'll change) and know how you'll deal with it.

It'll be unpleasant but you'll be relieved when it's over.
Crystalclearmagic
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
In a nutshell it started out great. We had some disagreements (nothing major) but we talked. We discussed problems in the relationship and figured out what each of us could do to help sort it out.

It is now a year and 2 more conversation like this later and she hasn't tried a bit, while I have tried everything to get us to work out. TBH I'm sick of it and just want out now.

She still says she loves me though and I have been trying to avoid saying it (I can't stop saying it all together or she will know, I'm not breaking up unless it is in person).

How do I break up with her in person, I'm not sure how to go about it. I'm usually on the receiving end. She still says she loves me so I know it will hit her hard, is there anything I can do to make it easier for her?
The longer you leave it, the more it'll hurt her.
Anonymous #1
Thanks for the advice, I'm scared to do it myself but I know it needs doing, or the matter will just get worse. I know what is right...
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Why wouldn't you turn to teachers if you were being bullied?

They might tell my parents (23)
6.82%
They might tell the bully (33)
9.79%
I don't think they'd understand (51)
15.13%
It might lead to more bullying (128)
37.98%
There's nothing they could do (102)
30.27%

Watched Threads