MA English Language + Linguistics (Linguistics in general) Watch

Fembot
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
Hi there,

Is there anyone out there doing Linguistics? I am thinking of doing a Masters and I've come to the conclusion that Lancaster is probably the best overall choice for flexibility, quality of teaching/research and faculty interests e.g. corpus linguistics. Does anyone have any experience with the department? My other choice is Birmingham, but I am not sure if it's quite right for me (no longer into big city life, although I could stay in I suppose!), although they are also big on corpus linguistics, obviously.

Any info much appreciated!
Minerva
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Fembot)
Hi there,

Is there anyone out there doing Linguistics? I am thinking of doing a Masters and I've come to the conclusion that Lancaster is probably the best overall choice for flexibility, quality of teaching/research and faculty interests e.g. corpus linguistics. Does anyone have any experience with the department? My other choice is Birmingham, but I am not sure if it's quite right for me (no longer into big city life, although I could stay in I suppose!), although they are also big on corpus linguistics, obviously.

Any info much appreciated!
Sorry you haven't had a reply to this. Linguistics certainly has been a strong department at Lancaster for some years. The best bet is to go up there and have a look around, and see what it all feels like to you.

You might also like to check out the Postgraduate forum and see if there any kindred spirits lurking in there
Fembot
Rep:
?
(Original post by Minerva)
Sorry you haven't had a reply to this. Linguistics certainly has been a strong department at Lancaster for some years. The best bet is to go up there and have a look around, and see what it all feels like to you.

You might also like to check out the Postgraduate forum and see if there any kindred spirits lurking in there
Hi,

Thanks for your reply! I live about as far away from Lancaster as is geographically possible in this country and I have little free time to get there. However, I know some people who studied there (not linguistics) and they only have positive things to say about it. It looks and sounds like the kind of place I'd like and their linguistics department seems to be fab, so I think I'll take the plunge .
Minerva
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Hi,

Thanks for your reply! I live about as far away from Lancaster as is geographically possible in this country and I have little free time to get there. However, I know some people who studied there (not linguistics) and they only have positive things to say about it. It looks and sounds like the kind of place I'd like and their linguistics department seems to be fab, so I think I'll take the plunge .
I realise it may be an expensive trip - but it would be even more expensive if you committed yourself to studying there and then found you didn't like it. I'd be surprised if you couldn't book overnight accommodation somewhere locally for a reasonable sum, and if you booked travel well in advance you would get it a lot cheaper.

That said, everyone I know who went to Lancaster had a great time there too
Fembot
Rep:
?
(Original post by Minerva)
I realise it may be an expensive trip - but it would be even more expensive if you committed yourself to studying there and then found you didn't like it. I'd be surprised if you couldn't book overnight accommodation somewhere locally for a reasonable sum, and if you booked travel well in advance you would get it a lot cheaper.

That said, everyone I know who went to Lancaster had a great time there too
It's not the expense, it's that I work full time during the week and I've no sign of a holiday in the forseeable months, at least not before applications would be due. It would take about 6 hours to get there and it would be a weekend, so a bit redundant as an exercise.
Minerva
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
It's not the expense, it's that I work full time during the week and I've no sign of a holiday in the forseeable months, at least not before applications would be due. It would take about 6 hours to get there and it would be a weekend, so a bit redundant as an exercise.
Well, you can certainly make the application without visiting - there's no restrictions on the number of applications you can make for postgrad, as it's not a centralised system. But I really would advise against making a final choice without actually visiting the university.
amarjit18
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
HI!

I'm applying for a Linguistics masters too! I'm looking to do mine in Birmingham. I'm applying for the English Language and Applied Linguistics MA at the University of Birmingham. I have two friends on the course currently and they say its really good. I spoke to one of the lecturers and really liked our chat. The campus is really nice and as I'm from Birmingham and do not fancy spending money on living away from home (been there done that) I think this is the right course/uni for me. I only say all this because I know you also were interested in Birmingham. UOB is a great uni which a great linguistics department and would suggest to consider it as a back up. I hope you find the right place for you and wish you the best of luck in your masters!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How has the start of this academic year been for you?

Loving it - gonna be a great year (128)
18.21%
It's just nice to be back! (193)
27.45%
Not great so far... (251)
35.7%
I want to drop out! (131)
18.63%

Watched Threads