The Student Room Group

why do A-Level Students Look Down on BTEC's?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by ohhello92x
BTEC students aren't 'dumbos'
I did a BTEC and am in university. Just because someone does a BTEC doesn't mean they are 'dumb', they might just prefer doing coursework more than doing exams along with coursework. Or the course they want to do is a BTEC anyway

Posted from TSR Mobile

That seems pretty dumb in my eyes:tongue:
A-levels is a **** ton harder. Trust me. I know a few people who do a Btec and 1 a-level and find the A-level 100x harder, they literally can't hack it.
Original post by gabriellakhan
That seems pretty dumb in my eyes:tongue:

How is it? It still gets BTEC students into university. There's a load of people I know who have done BTECs and got into university and are really clever, so don't judge!!!!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 43
Original post by TheNoobishKnight
A-levels is a **** ton harder. Trust me. I know a few people who do a Btec and 1 a-level and find the A-level 100x harder, they literally can't hack it.

Surely it depends on the A level?

And I know people who achieved higher grades in the A level than they did the BTEC, one of my friends got an A* in Maths A level and DDD (equiv to AAA) in Engineering
How is it? It still gets BTEC students into university. There's a load of people I know who have done BTECs and got into university and are really clever, so don't judge!!!!

Posted from TSR Mobile

They won't get into top unis. They'll get into unis at the bottom of the league table. Hence, they are dumbos.
They won't get into top unis. They'll get into unis at the bottom of the league table. Hence, they are dumbos.

Hardly dumbos if they get into university though? At least they HAVE a chance of getting into university and getting a degree and making a decent life for themselves!!!!

Posted from TSR Mobile
[QUOTE=yt7777;54565117]it just depends what grades you get, a Pass = E at A level = 40, a Merit = C at A level = 80, Dist = A at A level = 120 and a Dist* = A* at A level = 140

it works the same way

in order to get a D, you need to have more distinctions than merits right? and to get a D*, you need to have all 6 Distinctions for example with me as i do 6 units in IT this year?
Reply 47

Posted from TSR Mobile

A levels are harder m8! No matter how much you love your BTECS, a levels will always be harder lol. No one's judging you. I'm not saying your thick . It's just a fact !! A levels are best if you want to go to the best university but tbh there are loads of universities that aren't in the Russel Group with lower requirements. (No offence ) . Now days you don't even have to be clever to go to university. You only have to be clever to go to like the top universities. :cool:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 48

I would love to know you're evidence for this, in my college group (health and social care) we have people with offers/interviews for Cardiff, York, Nottingham, UEA, Sussex, Bath and plenty more. I can't wait for one of these "dumbos" you speak of to be your nurses or social workers!
Original post by yt7777
haha D*D*D* for just turning up!! have you ever taken a BTEC at Level 3??

My Extended Diploma totalled almost 200,000 words! and also I learned much more in my subject area then i could have done in 3/4 A levels, so why shouldn't i go to a good uni and get a scholarship?

(btw as i previously mentioned in this thread, i am at a good uni, i did get a scholarship and i am on track for a first with minimal effort because of how much i learnt on my btec)

200,000 words? And all you got was a pokey BTEC?
You can get a PhD for half that amount.
Original post by diana99
A levels are harder m8! No matter how much you love your BTECS, a levels will always be harder lol. No one's judging you. I'm not saying your thick . It's just a fact !! A levels are best if you want to go to the best university but tbh there are loads of universities that aren't in the Russel Group with lower requirements. (No offence ) . Now days you don't even have to be clever to go to university. You only have to be clever to go to like the top universities. :cool:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Well I managed to get into university 'mate' at least you can get into uni either way

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by lisamb
I would love to know you're evidence for this, in my college group (health and social care) we have people with offers/interviews for Cardiff, York, Nottingham, UEA, Sussex, Bath and plenty more. I can't wait for one of these "dumbos" you speak of to be your nurses or social workers!

I so agree with you here! :biggrin:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Binary Freak
Translation: I'm currently doing A-levels, and my performance is possibly sub-par. Therefore, I'm incapable of getting into high ranked universities and feel some level of resentment to those on a BTEC.

Secondly, I wouldn't be blaming the students for such a framework. If you have a problem, pick it with the examination board as opposed to the students. They just enroll and complete the course. The lecturers and the lead IVs enforce the rules for the institution. As students, they follow those rules. Much alike you A-level students.

You should also be aware that easy/hard are both relative terms and thus subjective. I personally find that doing examinations is far more easier than doing a coursework element.

I don't actually see where your resentment is towards those on a BTEC. Quite frankly, I don't understand the logic behind it either. Needless to say that intelligence levels, and the ability to remember varies for each individual. So some are more suited for a BTEC course. Whether they progress towards university is their choice. Are you going to complain about them bothering? Would you rather them progress towards A-level, and possibly fail?

To me, you're the only 'dumbo' here.

EDIT: Give up with the elitist follow-along facade. Stop trying to fit in with the other self-absorbed egotists on here.

I agree.
I did a level 3 BTEC, purely because I'm more of a coursework person than an exam person if that makes sense? And I've managed to get into university. I don't see why people degrade BTECs, if it gets you into uni, it does..

Posted from TSR Mobile
I agree.
I did a level 3 BTEC, purely because I'm more of a coursework person than an exam person if that makes sense? And I've managed to get into university. I don't see why people degrade BTECs, if it gets you into uni, it does..

Posted from TSR Mobile

:yep:
Original post by Quantex
200,000 words? And all you got was a pokey BTEC?
You can get a PhD for half that amount.

200,000 words is probably the right amount for students studying at a reasonable college. Otherwise, you'd find about 75,000 is average. Even those on a standard diploma usually reach a really high word count.

What did you study anyway? Sorry if you've mentioned it before. I only came in here to see if the usual happens :smile:
Original post by Binary Freak
What did you study anyway? Sorry if you've mentioned it before. I only came in here to see if the usual happens :smile:

I did Health and Social Care :redface:
What're you studying?

Posted from TSR Mobile
My housemate gets it all the time. Anytime she wants to roast someone on being academically inadequate everyone just says shut up BTEC. It's quite sad for her but funny at the same time.
I did Health and Social Care :redface:
What're you studying?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Ah yeah.. It does say on your profile you're doing a foundation degree? Or is that topped up now? :smile:

I'm on my first year of Computer Networks & Security

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending