The Student Room Group

why do A-Level Students Look Down on BTEC's?

Scroll to see replies

I'm not saying A levels are easier than BTECs but the only purpose of A levels is to get into uni after that they are useless. Whereas BTECs are recognised by employers and can secure you places at universities.

And for those saying you can't get into Oxbridge with BTECs I laugh at you for the simple fact that I've seen several A LEVEL students getting AAB grades and still getting rejected from these top unis.
Reply 581
Alevels = remembering and understanding the content taught
BTECs= sitting with a text book regurgitateing the information Infront of them by putting it into a report
Original post by Yoyo57
BTECs= sitting with a text book regurgitateing the information Infront of them by putting it into a report

Lool that's funny

Posted from TSR Mobile
Oh gosh, this thread just proves people will debate almost anything.
People who do A-levels get into uni.
People who do BTECs get into uni.
No matter the topic, some people will always act superior to others.
Luckily, there's a famous quote about that nobody can make you feel inferior without your consent :lol:
Those are the facts. So don't worry about it! :smile: xx
Original post by Yoyo57

And how much do you remember? From both GCSE and A-level that is.
Original post by Yoyo57

Original post by Binary Freak
And how much do you remember? From both GCSE and A-level that is.

The UEA did a study to answer that very question, 60% of those in the study forgot everything they had “learnt”.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/education-28014519
Reply 586
LOL there are many a-level students who think they are 'capable' but they end up retaking and then all the BTEC students end up going to uni....so if u think u can't handle it, do BTEC......

P.S. Im doing A-LEVEL
Because BTEC students claim that their distinction in their health and social care BTEC is the equivalent to AAA at A level - k mate

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Sacred Ground
Because BTEC students claim that their distinction in their health and social care BTEC is the equivalent to AAA at A level - k mate

Posted from TSR Mobile

The exam boards make the same claim. You know, the ones that award your qualifications. :facepalm2:
The exam boards make the same claim. You know, the ones that award your qualifications. :facepalm2:

I'm going to do medicine with a Health and social care BTEC cos it's the equivalent to AAA as exam boards said so, why am I doing A levels then?
I'm going to do medicine with a Health and social care BTEC cos it's the equivalent to AAA as exam boards said so, why am I doing A levels then?

Where are you going to study medicine?

Posted from TSR Mobile

That doesn't actually prove anything. BTECs are vocational qualifications and most likely will not prepare you for a rigorous, academic degree though they may be suitable preparation for more vocational courses i.e. BTEC in Engineering and then an Engineering degree.
Original post by Asexual Demigod
That doesn't actually prove anything. BTECs are vocational qualifications and most likely will not prepare you for a rigorous, academic degree though they may be suitable preparation for more vocational courses i.e. BTEC in Engineering and then an Engineering degree.

I wasn't trying to state anything. I was implying that the equivalent grades aren't just 'student claims'...
I wasn't trying to state anything. I was implying that the equivalent grades aren't just 'student claims'...

I never claimed you were stating anything, I said prove. And you didn't imply anything, you were directly trying to prove that the grades are equivalent because the exam boards say so which I find naive. It is widely known that BTECs are less academically rigorous and are better preparation for vocational pursuits instead. You need to control for their relative difficulty, what different skills are gained, etc.

Like how you used your career ambition as an example. Health + Social BTEC is a cross between Sociology, and Health and Social Care A-level. Can you aim to be a doctor with those A-levels? Alongside something such as Psychology or Biology? I don't think so. Do you also measure distance in kilograms? -.- :rofl:

Now let's look at something more feasible. With A-level Biology, Mathematics, Chemistry, and/or Further Mathematics. Similarly, doing a BTEC Level 3 Extended Diploma in Science might land you a place in medicine.
(edited 8 years ago)
I never claimed you were stating anything, I said prove. And you didn't imply anything, you were directly trying to prove that the grades are equivalent because the exam boards say so which I find naive. It is widely known that BTECs are less academically rigorous and are better preparation for vocational pursuits instead. You need to control for their relative difficulty, what different skills are gained, etc.

'difficulty'?, would you use that phrase on yourself purely because Alevels consist of minor course work and major exams. Trying to reason with someone else's view, you still act as a bias Alevel student.

Besides all of this 'exam boared' mumbo jumbo, I really think this equivalence is immoral to the fact that at the end of the day, we get the same 'level' of qualification which could lead us to higher education or a job.

Yes, there are benefits, and disadvantages to BOTH BTEC and Alevels, however, by dwelling on another persons root in education is 'naive' at another level.
(edited 8 years ago)

Well if you want to be specific with the choice of words, then prove. I wasn't directly trying to prove anything. I was regurgitating the viewpoint that exam boards have. Nice to know you understand something that only 10% of people on this thread seem to grasp.
Reply 597
It's true that btecs are looked down upon, honestly it depends on the btec, for example engineering will be okay but health and social a girly subject will be seen as a easy subject to pass. I will do 3-alevels and a btec in product design for the variation but i don't have a clue what i'm getting into
Original post by OGGUS
It's true that btecs are looked down upon, honestly it depends on the btec, for example engineering will be okay but health and social a girly subject will be seen as a easy subject to pass. I will do 3-alevels and a btec in product design for the variation but i don't have a clue what i'm getting into

I do health and social care and I'm a male, and really? over hairdressing and performing arts, you would categories 'health' and 'social care' as a girly course. Health and social care consists of science and sociology and psychology not dressing someone up and putting makeup on them. Unless you've been in the course, you can't really judge it. And it's much easier to pass engineering than health and social care or any course within science or humanities as I've went to the engineering taster lesson.
Reply 599
Original post by manniaj
I do health and social care and I'm a male, and really? over hairdressing and performing arts, you would categories 'health' and 'social care' as a girly course. Health and social care consists of science and sociology and psychology not dressing someone up and putting makeup on them. Unless you've been in the course, you can't really judge it. And it's much easier to pass engineering than health and social care or any course within science or humanities as I've went to the engineering taster lesson.

sorry to offend you most girls at my college i' in pre 16 do health and social care

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending