Report 3 years ago
not this again...
The_Internet
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by JC.)
BTEC's are put on to give the thick kids something to do...
I did a BTEC. I had the choice to do A levels at my (very good) school. I chose to do a course. I now work for an ISP

There'ssomeone here who also did a BTEC and now works in cyber security

As before, I know many people working at many large organisations, getting a decent amount of pay. All of them did a BTEC.
JC.
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by The_Internet)
I did a BTEC. I had the choice to do A levels at my (very good) school. I chose to do a course. I now work for an ISP

There'ssomeone here who also did a BTEC and now works in cyber security

As before, I know many people working at many large organisations, getting a decent amount of pay. All of them did a BTEC.
Cute.
The_Internet
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by JC.)
Cute.
Tbh JC, I don't think you truly believe what you've written any way as you normally seem pretty nice

Posted from TSR Mobile
jamestg
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by JC.)
You can't say BTECs are for 'thick kids' when you went to Bangor to study Music...
Spoiler:
Show
I jest (I'm just playing devil's advocate)

There are some valuable BTECs, but they are not comparable to A-levels IMO. And yeah most people who study BTEC are the 'thick kids'
JC.
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by jamestg)
You can't say BTECs are for 'thick kids' when you went to Bangor to study Music...
Spoiler:
Show
I jest (I'm just playing devil's advocate)

There are some valuable BTECs, but they are not comparable to A-levels IMO. And yeah most people who study BTEC are the 'thick kids'
At no point have I ever professed to being even remotely close to approaching intelligent.
yt7777
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by JC.)
BTECs are more employable and actually hold ground in the real world

And do do you mean just 'to give the thick kids something to do' clearly doing a BTEC in IT onto doing an MSci in Computer Science at a top 20 uni and two internships was just something to...

one of the interviewers at a recent graduate assessment centre was impressed by the amount of content that I had covered on my bTEC and said the BTEC in IT/Computing was better preparation for a job in Cyber or Software Engineering than A levels would have been, and to quote the interview (who has a PhD and worked at a very high level in the field of Cyber Security) - i "made a great choice" in doing the BTEC, I've also heard similar in other IT companies, wait until you get some experience in the real world and you'll realise academic qualifications alone arent all that great
multieman
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by yt7777)
BTECs are more employable and actually hold ground in the real world

And do do you mean just 'to give the thick kids something to do' clearly doing a BTEC in IT onto doing an MSci in Computer Science at a top 20 uni and two internships was just something to...

one of the interviewers at a recent graduate assessment centre was impressed by the amount of content that I had covered on my bTEC and said the BTEC in IT/Computing was better preparation for a job in Cyber or Software Engineering than A levels would have been, and to quote the interview (who has a PhD and worked at a very high level in the field of Cyber Security) - i "made a great choice" in doing the BTEC, I've also heard similar in other IT companies, wait until you get some experience in the real world and you'll realise academic qualifications alone arent all that great
I'm done, I guess nothing can get past your delusion.
yt7777
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by multieman)
I'm done, I guess nothing can get past your delusion.
How is it a delusion?

For people with a graduates who did a BTEC 80% are in employment whereas those who did A levels and a degree its only at 74%.

Also for those who didnt go to university, but are employed in skilled, professional or managerial jobs it is 49% vs 45% in favour of BTECs

What makes A levels employable? they are purely to get into university and mostly dont offer many actual tangible skills relating to a specific industry, and thats fine because they're not intended for that, BTECs directly related to what you need to know to work in a particular sector and are more valued in industry, thats a fact.

As I said before I have secured placement at a really good company and one of the interviewers said that they were impressed by the amount of content that was covered on my BTEC and that it was a good decision that I made to take it instead of A levels as real world practical skills are more valued (after they asked why i did it instead) - thats coming from someone who works in industry (Cyber/Engineering)

I have also heard the same at a previous placement that I did, where I overheard one of the higher managers talking to my line manager asking about my background and whether training me was going to utilise too much of their time, and my line manager replied "its okay, he has a BTEC" - subsequently that manager offered me a permanent job (part-time around my studies) on my second day there - this was also in an IT related role

So they are preferred by employers. I have a friend who got an apprenticeship as a Software Engineer and the first part of the apprenticeship included doing a BTEC level 3 which he already had and got to progress and advance with the job a lot quicker than the people with A levels who spent the first year of their apprenticeship doing the BTEC that they could have done instead of their A levels which were pretty useless as all the initial skills they needed were covered on the BTEC that they could have already done 2+ years previous.

Im guessing you're still at school? typical opinion of someone who hasnt got any real world experience.

Sources for the statistics at the start:

http://www.teachingtimes.com/article...nal-course.htm

http://uk.pearson.com/home/news/2013...-to-succe.html

http://www.stanmore.ac.uk/about-the-...ment-prospects
multieman
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
How is it a delusion?

For people with a graduates who did a BTEC 80% are in employment whereas those who did A levels and a degree its only at 74%.

Also for those who didnt go to university, but are employed in skilled, professional or managerial jobs it is 49% vs 45% in favour of BTECs

What makes A levels employable? they are purely to get into university and mostly dont offer many actual tangible skills relating to a specific industry, and thats fine because they're not intended for that, BTECs directly related to what you need to know to work in a particular sector and are more valued in industry, thats a fact.

As I said before I have secured placement at a really good company and one of the interviewers said that they were impressed by the amount of content that was covered on my BTEC and that it was a good decision that I made to take it instead of A levels as real world practical skills are more valued (after they asked why i did it instead) - thats coming from someone who works in industry (Cyber/Engineering)

I have also heard the same at a previous placement that I did, where I overheard one of the higher managers talking to my line manager asking about my background and whether training me was going to utilise too much of their time, and my line manager replied "its okay, he has a BTEC" - subsequently that manager offered me a permanent job (part-time around my studies) on my second day there - this was also in an IT related role

So they are preferred by employers. I have a friend who got an apprenticeship as a Software Engineer and the first part of the apprenticeship included doing a BTEC level 3 which he already had and got to progress and advance with the job a lot quicker than the people with A levels who spent the first year of their apprenticeship doing the BTEC that they could have done instead of their A levels which were pretty useless as all the initial skills they needed were covered on the BTEC that they could have already done 2+ years previous.

Im guessing you're still at school? typical opinion of someone who hasnt got any real world experience.

Sources for the statistics at the start:

http://www.teachingtimes.com/article...nal-course.htm

http://uk.pearson.com/home/news/2013...-to-succe.html

http://www.stanmore.ac.uk/about-the-...ment-prospects
Now compare the average graduate salary from graduates who did A-levels to graduates who did BTEC...
Lol. Try finding a BTEC student at Kings College hospital or at Goldman Sachs. Never.
yt7777
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Now compare the average graduate salary from graduates who did A-levels to graduates who did BTEC...
Lol. Try finding a BTEC student at Kings College hospital or at Goldman Sachs. Never.
My friend who did a BTEC is doing a placement at Goldman Sachs in London

Also another on of my friends, again from a BTEC background, is doing a placement at a different bank and if getting over 33k for just an internship

both studying Computer Science at uni

Also well done for ignoring everything that I said in my post
multieman
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago

Also another on of my friends, again from a BTEC background, is doing a placement at a different bank and if getting over 33k for just an internship

I really can't be bothered with your delusion, obviously your "friend", is probably working at HR or administration instead of doing an intense role requiring rigorous academic qualifications.
ViewOnlyMum
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
I really can't be bothered with your delusion, obviously your "friend", is probably working at HR or administration instead of doing an intense role requiring rigorous academic qualifications.
Rigorous academic qualifications? You mean like that C you got in GCSE English Language?
yt7777
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Hahah clearly, because you know I am right, there is no delusion, you are the one who is deluded you little child, have fun when you get experience in the real world and realise that your A levels mean **** all, also how isnt a degree in Computer Science "academically rigorous"? - you're an idiot :P

btw they are both working in Technical roles, focussing on Cyber Security and Software Engineering - hardly HR or admin
username2130115
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by ViewOnlyMum)
Rigorous academic qualifications? You mean like that C you got in GCSE English Language?
ad hominem attacks are very low.
username2130115
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Hahah clearly, because you know I am right, there is no delusion, you are the one who is deluded you little child, have fun when you get experience in the real world and realise that your A levels mean **** all, also how isnt a degree in Computer Science "academically rigorous"? - you're an idiot :Pn
Most people seem to think computer science = microsoft office tutorials.
yt7777
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by Raees_Sharif)
Most people seem to think computer science = microsoft office tutorials.
Haha yeah i know right, if only they knew... :P

you study CS?
Princepieman
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago

That's pro-rata (i.e. (£33k/52)*10 = £6.3k)* and that's actually a below market salary for back office tech.

Posted from TSR Mobile
yt7777
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by Princepieman)
That's pro-rata (i.e. (£33k/52)*10 = £6.3k)* and that's actually a below market salary for back office tech.

Posted from TSR Mobile
But for an UG intern?

Also they are doing a full year internship not a 10-week placement
Princepieman
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
But for an UG intern?

Also they are doing a full year internship not a 10-week placement
Ahh, that explains why it's lower. Average is more £38-42k nowadays.

Yeah, banks pay above most other industries, high salaries aren't surprising.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Which party will you be voting for in the General Election?

Conservatives (202)
19.27%
Labour (444)
42.37%
Liberal Democrats (204)
19.47%
Green Party (54)
5.15%
Brexit Party (28)
2.67%
Independent Group for Change (Change UK) (4)
0.38%
SNP (15)
1.43%
Plaid Cymru (10)
0.95%
Democratic Unionist Party (DUP) (1)
0.1%
Sinn Fein (2)
0.19%
SDLP (1)
0.1%
Ulster Unionist (3)