How to shorten an essay without losing its clarity Watch

DCArcherX
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
Whaddup, I've got myself into a problem. I made an essay but over the word count, can you please help me or give me tips on how to shorten my essay?
Skyy9432
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
You could try emulating a newspaper's writing style. Studying Journalism, our practice was to take 2+ a4 pages of information and turn them into 4-500 word stories without dropping any important information. May have to check with your teacher though, as news-writing style may not go down well in certain subjects. The jist is the trim the fat.

Any single word that is unnecessary gets removed. "Tom then had a thought that he had better...X" can become "Tom believed X... was better" or "Tom thought he'd better...".
Even my above paragraph "Any important information." Could easily have the word "any" and still communicate the exact same message.

Any combination of words which can be summarised by one or two. "The sprites span with an artistic medium of movement" can become "The sprites danced".

Of course, there's the good old favorite of abbreviating everything you can get away with. "They're" may be 2 words but it counts as one.

Hope this is of some help. Apologies for the abstract examples but the general premise still applies.
DCArcherX
Rep:
?
Thanks mate, i've tries that but its finding the right word to suit my text, thats what im struggling on, other than that i've got this essay on lock.
DCArcherX
Rep:
?
I dont want to go over the word count and make this lead me to my demise of reaching an A/A*
Skyy9432
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Sad times

How far over the word count are you? There's always the (albeit painful) method of removing the least significant point. You'd free up a whole chunk of words.
All you have to make sure is that your other points are so god damn strong that they're important enough to not even NEED the one you're removing.

On another note, most places have a 5-10% leeway agreement. A figure which you should ask your teacher about as each one usually has their own threshold. So a 10,000 word essay is allowed to be 9,500-10,500, or even 9,000-11,000 words long. Check with your teacher how far they're willing to go.

While I'm on this point, there shouldn't be anything stopping you from bringing this query directly to the teacher. I get you may not want them to read an unfinished draft, but if you're struggling with what to remove just go ask them what they think. Make sure to bring your own ideas and reasons to teh conversation though. They won't do the work for you, but may help guide you if you demonstrate an understanding of WHY something is too important to take out.

Hope I'm not rambling. Best of luck mate.
AdamCee
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
The thing I did the most that saved me about 100 words in my history essay was the use of apostrophes

So instead of saying "the support of the Mittlestand"
I said "the Mittlestand's support"
I used "of" about 80 times in my 2,500 worded essay...
DCArcherX
Rep:
?
Adem cee, you right i used of a plethora of times, but my ignorance didn't let me identify the problem, i'm getting rid of the of's and i now have 8 words less in the 1sy paragraph
DCArcherX
Rep:
?
does this make sense
'respect worthy and a credible man'
Skyy9432
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by DCArcherX)
does this make sense
'respect worthy and a credible man'
Yeah, it does to me. You could also put a at the front so "a respect worthy and credible man".

I'll throw it into word and see if I can trim any fat. However, I doubt I'm educated enough on your topic to know what paragraph could be removed, though I'll think about it. I'm doing the 2nd one yeah?
voices.exiled
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Remove all but essential words.
DCArcherX
Rep:
?
nice.
It does make sense by the way, i have cut out 35 words using that of tick
DCArcherX
Rep:
?
tHANKS GUYS I APPRECIATE ALL OF THIS, BUT sorry caps. I just have to trim this down hand it in to my teacher , and pray for the best.
It's_Ailie
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Is it a report or creative? If it's a report take out repeated ideas. If creative, take out descriptive parts that contribute little to character/plot development. If you're way over, best thing to do is pick a paragraph and get rid of it's.
It's annoying to get rid of work you've done like that but it's a quick solution, if you can pick a paragraph that's of lesser importance if course. I spent ages writing an essay last year which ended up double the max word count, had to get rid of half of all that I'd done it was horrible!

Posted from TSR Mobile
DCArcherX
Rep:
?
I know what you mean, that feeling makes me cringe and the worst part, this is my first actual gcse assignment.Awful isn't it.
DCArcherX
Rep:
?
First time on TSR, and i've actually started an actual thread with actual people who have endured the same annoying situation. Dw i feel for you for you all.
DCArcherX
Rep:
?
Btw, The question is 'How does Churchill use the Language of power effectively', is that descriptive or a report?
DCArcherX
Rep:
?
i mean creative
Kvothe the Arcane
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
If this is assessed, please delete your essay.
DCArcherX
Rep:
?
Okay, deleted.
DCArcherX
Rep:
?
what do you mean by assesed
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of East Anglia
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sun, 20 Oct '19
  • University for the Creative Arts
    Sun, 20 Oct '19
  • University of Gloucestershire
    Sun, 20 Oct '19

Have you made up your mind on your five uni choices?

Yes I know where I'm applying (67)
66.34%
No I haven't decided yet (21)
20.79%
Yes but I might change my mind (13)
12.87%

Watched Threads