If my dad was bisexual how likely am I to have gay sons? Watch

Nickierose21
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
I'm just wondering? My uncle was gay and my dad died and the way he died is kind of suspicious
Explanation don't open if easily triggered.
Spoiler:
Show
he was murdered after leaving the bar with a guy and ended up strangled nude upside down in a closet. Police eluded to the use of condoms being lack of evidence etc.

So there's evidence he Was likely bisexual. Also my mom indicated he was bi but like it really scared her where she rather try and say he wasn't. He was pretty closeted since he was in the navy at one point. All the female relatives on that side are very heterosexual. It's only gay men in the family that's more of a prominence than anything.
I also have a feeling that my brother is as well. So there's obviously a genetic pattern to it through the maternal lineage as my dad and uncle only had the same mom. I read that there is a link in gay brothers through their maternal lineage.

Anyhow I read that if you have gay relatives you're more likely to be gay. At least among gay men. I also read it's carried through the maternal lineage that said mother may be a carrier. im kind of curious like is everyone in the family then basically a carrier? Of the females?

http://news.sciencemag.org/biology/2...-homosexuality

So if it's X linked then if a gay or bisexual man has a daughter isn't she a carrier? Because it's X linked... Therefore said individual would likely have homosexual grandsons through his daughter? If so how likely? How likely would she have gay sons?
Nickierose21
Rep:
?
And my mom was mentally scarred by my dad's situation and it's only gotten worst because of the movement. So I mean my side of the family (I was raised with my mom side) wouldn't be very accepting to that to begin with. And I wouldn't like taking sides because I like being neutral on things like that. I like the privilege of being straight and not caring either way.
unprinted
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
It's not as simple as a 'gay gene'.

Why are you only asking about 'sons', rather than about 'children'?
Nickierose21
Rep:
?
(Original post by unprinted)
It's not as simple as a 'gay gene'.

Why are you only asking about 'sons', rather than about 'children'?
Did you see the article?

It's saying homosexual in men is genetic. I notice this to be true in my dad's family it has nothing to do with female homosexuality. Female homosexuality has more to do with hormones. More lesbians have a specific hand pattern indicidating invited virilization. My dad's family has no lesbians in it. But my dad and his brother were gay/bisexual. And they only had the same mom so if it's genetic it would be maternal like the article explained. And that the female relatives would be more likely to be carriers. If X chromosome linked then I'm more susceptible since I'm his daughter and he was bisexual likely right?
unprinted
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Nickierose21)
I gave you the link I've seen a lot of articles on this that say it is genetic.
Even the cheerleaders for the idea say the statistical link is only one of many 'causes' of sexual orientation.

Michael Bailey in particular has form in denying bisexuality exists as part of the oversimplification of sexual orientation necessary to say its a significant link.
jshep000
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
hey... why did my post get deleted?
unprinted
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Did you see the article?
I am familiar with the research yes.

It's saying homosexual in men is genetic.
Well it may do, but the actual research doesn't.

It's a bit like height. On average, men are taller than women. So there's a link between having a Y-chromosome and height. But there's a huge variation within the heights of men and women, and a large overlap between them. So it doesn't mean 'Y = tall', it just means 'Y = probably slightly taller than if you don't have one'.

So here, there are some interesting studies that say that statistically, there's a bit of the X-chromosome that gay men are slightly more likely to have than the straight men in the sample. ('What about the bisexual men?' I hear you cry - typically, this area of research ignores them entirely to make it easier. As I say, Bailey is particularly guilty of this.) There are also some interesting studies that cannot find a statistically significant link.

My dad's family has no lesbians in it.
I bet it does, though I'm not saying it's a sister or mother.

..and he was bisexual likely right?
Yes, but sexual orientation is far, far more complicated than saying 'gay / bisexual / straight'. It's a combination of identity, attraction and behaviour, and much more. You can have an attraction without the behaviour, and the behaviour without the identity etc etc. It also often varies over time.

Ultimately, what do you care what the answer to the original question is?
Nickierose21
Rep:
?
Even the cheerleaders for the idea say the statistical link is only one of many 'causes' of sexual orientation.

Michael Bailey in particular has form in denying bisexuality exists as part of the oversimplification of sexual orientation necessary to say its a significant link.
Yeah I looked up specifically for bisexual men their women are more hyper heterosexual. I consider myself to be hyper heterosexual. My paternal grandma was hyper heterosexual as well. But my mom's family had more children than my dad's because her mother didn't really have a say since it was an abusive relationship. But my mom's great grandma through her mother's side had 15 kids. And everyone has seemingly been pretty straight. My mom's family very fertile despite being very masculine the females at least we all have like broad shoulders and very narrow hips and the structure in the hands indicating virilization yet we're all very straight I always figured it had to do with being west african descent.
My dad's family though are very hyper heterosexual the females are I have 4 aunts and all of them have 5 children and my grandma had 6 with 5 different men.

I don't have kids but I always wondered why I was attracted to men since I'm not a very feminine person. Most people like myself don't like men.

From what I'm reading the gene makes anyone male or female more attracted to men.
Nickierose21
Rep:
?
I am familiar with the research yes.

Well it may do, but the actual research doesn't.

It's a bit like height. On average, men are taller than women. So there's a link between having a Y-chromosome and height. But there's a huge variation within the heights of men and women, and a large overlap between them. So it doesn't mean 'Y = tall', it just means 'Y = probably slightly taller than if you don't have one'.

So here, there are some interesting studies that say that statistically, there's a bit of the X-chromosome that gay men are slightly more likely to have than the straight men in the sample. ('What about the bisexual men?' I hear you cry - typically, this area of research ignores them entirely to make it easier. As I say, Bailey is particularly guilty of this.) There are also some interesting studies that cannot find a statistically significant link.

I bet it does, though I'm not saying it's a sister or mother.

Yes, but sexual orientation is far, far more complicated than saying 'gay / bisexual / straight'. It's a combination of identity, attraction and behaviour, and much more. You can have an attraction without the behaviour, and the behaviour without the identity etc etc. It also often varies over time.

Ultimately, what do you care what the answer to the original question is?
Well like I said that would be controversial for my family on my mom's side since they have never had gay relatives on my mom's side of the family. I just wish I knew the probability. I guess it's good if I do it won't really be a surprise I'll already know what I'm getting into.

And also from what I'm reading that's unlikely if genetically it's linked to being more attracted men than the average woman.
unprinted
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Attraction is not the same as identity is not the same as behaviour.
Nickierose21
Rep:
?
Attraction is not the same as identity is not the same as behaviour.
That doesn't make sense to me

Sexuality is what it is.
unprinted
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
That doesn't make sense to me

Sexuality is what it is.
Yes, and it's complicated!

Who you are attracted to is part of your sexuality. Who you are sexual with - your behaviour - is also part of your sexuality.

Without knowing anything about you, but knowing a lot about sexuality, I can confidently say that your attraction is very probably not the same as your behaviour - you are very probably not sexual with everyone you are attracted to because, for example, there are probably people who are not interested or available, or you may be attracted to someone without wanting to be sexual with them.

You may also, for one reason or another, be sexual with someone you're not attracted to. (If you don't, hooray, but some of your female ancestors probably did this, at least some of the time.)

When you add sexual identity into the mix, it gets even more complicated, then you consider changes over time, then...
al_94
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
There's no genetics in homosexuality
Nickierose21
Rep:
?

Actually I just gave one study on that there was a much larger study done that implies its genetic.

http://www.natureworldnews.com/artic...t-evidence.htm
Nickierose21
Rep:
?
I believe that I am a carrier. At least I'm straight though. I could end up having daughters and avoiding that issue altogether.
unprinted
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Actually I just gave one study on that there was a much larger study done that implies its genetic.

http://www.natureworldnews.com/artic...t-evidence.htm
See, again, the comments about the link between having a Y-chromosome and height.

Sexuality is far, far more complicated than 'you have this gene = you're gay'.
ImNotReallyMe
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
See, again, the comments about the link between having a Y-chromosome and height.

It's also true that often times genes work in combination with one another to give rise to a particular characteristic e.g. handedness isn't determined by a single gene which is why it's difficult to come across a solid answer as to why there's things such as mixhandedness etc.

With regards to sexuality i believe there's going to be a combination of genetic and environmental factors involved, but i believe it's mostly environmental
Little Popcorns
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Definitely mostly environmental.
Little Popcorns
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
I believe that I am a carrier. At least I'm straight though. I could end up having daughters and avoiding that issue altogether.
Are you from American/living in America?
Nickierose21
Rep:
?

no it doesn't it simply means it may be heightened
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Would you turn to a teacher if you were being bullied?

Yes (53)
25.6%
No (154)
74.4%

Watched Threads