How does getting a diagnosis of depression affect your chances of getting a job Watch

Mezza362
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
I'm almost certain I have Post Natal Depression. I've suffered with it for a year and a half and I really want help but I'm worried a GP diagnosis will see me off my course.

i am studying to become a social worker. I had to take a fitness to practice assessment where they look at your medical history and see if you are capable of training as a social
worker. I passed easily as I have never been ill in my life and have no medical history except the fact I was born!

if I were to get a diagnosis I'm worried the uni will be Informed of if I have a duty to inform them.im not sure of the rules but I also don't knownif this could make me be seen as unfit for practice.

do you have to disclose a depression diagnosis when applying for jobs?

I have been coping so don't need to go the GP but I do feel down and am having sad thoughts
doodle_333
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
they may want you to speak to occupational health as social work can be an emotionally draining job so they will want to check you are putting strategies in place to cope with that... however they wont discriminate purely on the basis of depression, only if the depression aaffects your ability to work
Laomedeia
Badges: 21
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by doodle_333)
they may want you to speak to occupational health as social work can be an emotionally draining job so they will want to check you are putting strategies in place to cope with that... however they wont discriminate purely on the basis of depression, only if the depression affects your ability to work
As what possibly happened in that airplane tragedy.
I would imagine emotional issues would have an affect on your ability to help others with emotional issues. So yes, I do believe it would affect your employment.
Mezza362
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
Thanks for the replies. I appreciate them. im not going to go to the GP
doodle_333
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Laomedeia)
As what possibly happened in that airplane tragedy.
I would imagine emotional issues would have an affect on your ability to help others with emotional issues. So yes, I do believe it would affect your employment.
simple being depressed would not be reason to not allow someone to work... even in a job where you're helping others with emotionally difficult problems, or if you're a pilot - only if you're depressed rendered you unable to do your job properly (e.g. you might burst into tears in a meeting with a child, you might get angry and hit a difficult child, you shredded your paperwork because it was too stressful)

OP please do go and seek help, these things tend to get worse and then it will end up affecting your work
cole-slaw
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Are you an airline pilot?
superwolf
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
It's your responsibility to tell your uni if you're suffering from an illness relevant to your course. Universities are generally very good with mental illness, if you give them a chance, they're there to help and support you. As long as the illness won't affect your fitness to practise you'll not suffer any repercussions, and if it does affect your fitness to practise then morally it's your obligation to inform someone rather than putting the people you work with at risk.

I've just been accepted onto an occupational therapy degree, and gained a job as a mental health support worker, despite having suffered from depression for a number of years. The fact that I've sought help for my problems puts me at an advantage because I'm now much better off mentally than before, as well as having gained insight into my mental health issues.
Anonymous #1
Report 2 years ago
I would just make sure you take the time off before you start. My mum had it and said I never loved you to me and said she never bonded with me so I feel like I am orphaned. People say I look lost and I tell you what I feel it some days that's not the worst thing that's been said and she doesn't really get how these things manifest. This was all randomly and I couldn't think of many worse things than to be told that. But it's obviously okay to be not okay but you shouldn't have any problem getting a job. It's quite easy to tell when someone is depressed by their sense of humour if she was anything to go by also a bit strange acting so unless you are 100 percent okay I wouldn't recommend starting your job if you already haven't. All others did motive the bad relationship with my mum and I personally could never understand what I was doing wrong but I never was actually doing anything wrong. Also some people assumed it was my Dad causing problems and then a lot of smarter people just made no issue of it. I'm hoping that this could help others. Also don't have another child as the stress could cause a miscarriage or bring up psychopathic children make sure you're settled and doing well. Hope all is good.
bones-mccoy
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by doodle_333)
simple being depressed would not be reason to not allow someone to work... even in a job where you're helping others with emotionally difficult problems, or if you're a pilot - only if you're depressed rendered you unable to do your job properly (e.g. you might burst into tears in a meeting with a child, you might get angry and hit a difficult child, you shredded your paperwork because it was too stressful)

OP please do go and seek help, these things tend to get worse and then it will end up affecting your work
Perfect advice
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Why wouldn't you turn to teachers if you were being bullied?

They might tell my parents (23)
6.82%
They might tell the bully (33)
9.79%
I don't think they'd understand (51)
15.13%
It might lead to more bullying (128)
37.98%
There's nothing they could do (102)
30.27%

Watched Threads