AQA Struggle for identity HELP PLEASE English Literature A Watch

AnkitKapoor
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
I'm not enjoying revising question one of this course AT ALL.
In terms of wider reading, do I need a novel for each struggle for identity? That includes the Irish struggle, gender politics, black struggle, post EU conflicts, class after the war and more.
i love reading, but I don't have time to read a novel and analyse it to an A grade standard for each of these things with my other a levels. I can't wait till next year, the course sounds so much more interesting! That being said, I loved Streetcar named desire.

Whic novels/ plays did you look at for your exam( I really need plays), which worked best? Any other advice ?
how did you prepare?
thanks.
sorry for poor spelling/ grammar, I have the worst headache.
The Empire Odyssey
  • Study Helper
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by AnkitKapoor)
I'm not enjoying revising question one of this course AT ALL.
In terms of wider reading, do I need a novel for each struggle for identity? That includes the Irish struggle, gender politics, black struggle, post EU conflicts, class after the war and more.
i love reading, but I don't have time to read a novel and analyse it to an A grade standard for each of these things with my other a levels. I can't wait till next year, the course sounds so much more interesting! That being said, I loved Streetcar named desire.

Whic novels/ plays did you look at for your exam( I really need plays), which worked best? Any other advice ?
how did you prepare?
thanks.
sorry for poor spelling/ grammar, I have the worst headache.
You have the course all wrong. I did WW1 Lit, but I've seen your Identity one.

You don't have to focus on all these issues on separate texts. It is definitely ideal to read more than one text though. For example, if you REALLY want to test yourself, read Irvine Welsh's Trainspotting and look at how conformity to a certain identity is formed. If you want gender politics, Caryl Churchill's Cloud 9 is really powerful. It's a play and quite complicated but is good. For instance, a black slave is played by a white man, a white lady is played by a male actor, etc during the first act. By the second act, the roles are all reversed. So a white slave is played by a black actor etc etc. And it's such a powerful political play. You can also look at Another Country for black struggle, or The Help. Both are novels that deal with racial prejudice and discrimination. Another Country is certainly a one to read. It deals with black homosexuality and all sorts. Defo a go if you want to look at identity in there.

If you want some plays, try Angels in America which is focused on when HIV became a worldwide epidemic, focusing on the gay community during the 1980s and how a bunch of characters have interrelated storylines. Not About Heroes is about Wilfred Own and Sassoon's relationship when they were in the war psychiatric hospital. Also, Journey's End focuses on class structure in the army. Is such a sad play, but so good! Again, anything by Caryl Churchill - her plays are brilliant, esp Top Girls, but she is a right feminist and her plays really do centre on gender politics like, so much. I first was introduced to this play last semester, in my uni. It was so good! You can also look at Death of a Salesman, which is all about how a married man tries to protect his family when his business goes down the drain. All to do with the American Dream! Depressing like hell, but such an emotional turmoil play!

I did A Streetcar for A2 Love Through the Ages for exam prep with my class, it was great. Do you know what texts you'll be studying next year?
AnkitKapoor
Rep:
?
Thanks so much! So what I'm understanding is to look for texts which tackle more than one of these issues. How many would you reccomend ? (The reason I ask is because my Chem and Bio A level take A LOT more time, and I'm naturally less good at them so need to put in twice the effort)

i loved top girls, I'll defo try cloud 9!
AnkitKapoor
Rep:
?
I've not thought about next year yet, I liked Gatsby when I read it a lot. Would the bloody chamber work? I'm really enjoying it
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Cardiff Metropolitan University
    Undergraduate Open Day - Llandaff Campus Undergraduate
    Sat, 19 Oct '19
  • Coventry University
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 19 Oct '19
  • University of Birmingham
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 19 Oct '19

Why wouldn't you turn to teachers if you were being bullied?

They might tell my parents (11)
6.01%
They might tell the bully (18)
9.84%
I don't think they'd understand (32)
17.49%
It might lead to more bullying (70)
38.25%
There's nothing they could do (52)
28.42%

Watched Threads