Other (specify in thread) (0)
0%
mikejohnno
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
Johnno thanks you

Two weeks after a dramatic opening weekend in Melbourne, the Formula 1 circus arrives at the Sepang International Circuit for the Malaysian Grand Prix.

At the Australian Grand Prix last week, we saw the first outing of this years cars. However, many of the cars barely even had a chance to race... while the dominance of Mercedes was filling the headlines. Nonetheless, the race was alright, with Lewis Hamilton managing to finish this years race, and bringing home a 1-2 with Nico Rosberg, with Vettel another driver who dropped out early last year joining them on the podium for his first Ferrari podium.

So as we arrive in Malaysia, a race usually tormented by the ever changing weather, we should hope to see a better race.

First introduced in 1999, Malaysia was brought onto the calendar to accompany Japan as the second Asian Grand Prix on the calendar. Designed by Hermann Tilke, the track, although generally flat, does in fact manage to incorporate some fantastic corners. In particular, the second to last corner involves long right hander with a wide apex, with the driver having to delicately balance the throttle and the brake throughout, similar to Bahrain's turn 9 Any lock up here can have you off the track, especially in the wet, as Sergio Perez discovered in 2012 when [chasing down Fernando Alonso.

Speaking of the weather, Malaysia is well known for it’s unexpected and sudden rainfalls, often changing the outcome of the race. The most extreme example of Malaysia’s oscillating weather was in 2001. In this particular year, a rainstorm hit the middle of the race, sparking chaos across the circuit that brough out the safety car due to the severity of the downpour. Both Ferrari’s of Schumacher and Barrichello both went straight off sorry about quality, but managed to somehow keep the car going and eventually won the race with a 1-2 finish.

The Malaysia Grand Prix should be a spectacle to cherish.

On paper, Mercedes are once again firm favourites, and we are hoping for rain to throw some grid surprises into the mix. Furthermore, Alonso and Bottas are finally returning to the grid as well, as they recover from their injuries.

The word “Malaysia” seems to bring bad memories for Red Bull. On lap 44 of the 2013 Malaysian Grand Prix, Mark Webber exited the pits, bringing him side by side with his teammate Sebastian Vettel. Over the next two laps, in a situation that left the Red Bull pit wall littered with bitten nails, the two drivers battled it out for the lead of the race. It was until lap 46 however, that Vettel made the infamous pass around the outside of turn 4 on Mark, with Mark responding angrily.

The decision to pass his teammate went against the team order of "multi 21" which ordered them to remain in position. It was also later revealed as the final event that affirmed Mark’s decision to retire. The event was another to add to the long list of conflicts that Vettel and Webber had on track and caused outrage among fans who soon turned to jeer at Vettel for almost every race he was on the podium for (which was a lot).

The situation was not Red Bull specific however, as Mercedes suffered a similar problem, that would have stolen the headlines if not for Red Bull. Rosberg was forced to hold position behind Hamilton despite being faster. These two coinciding events left the podium looking like schoolkids who had been caught cheating on a test.

Luckily for Red Bull, this is highly unlikely to arise again due to their current situation, but it could for Mercedes, who had managed to handle a similar situation perfectly relative to Red Bull. Both Rosberg and Hamilton were swapping places through the DRS zones before Ross Brawn calmed them down. The drivers relationship will certainly become volatile if the situation were to happen again, this time for the lead of the race.

At last years Malaysian Grand Prix, we saw Mercedes take home a dominant 1-2 win, with Lewis Hamilton taking his first win of 2014. [He was joined by teammate Rosberg and Sebastian Vettel. Although the race was considered dull, there was controversy in the Williams team garage when Massa refused to slow down for Bottas after being given team orders.
Andrew657Thomas
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Even for an F1 fan, I can't be bothered to read all of that...

Wait would you even consider me a fan, I stayed up till the AUS GP was on and fell asleep because it wasn't to interesting, hopefully this will be a lot better! Nice to have F1 every other week!
MrsSheldonCooper
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
I missed the races badly when they weren't in season
Motorbiker
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Excited to see what alonso can do in the terrible McLaren...

Posted from TSR Mobile
Yeah dude
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Cmonnn ferrari

Posted from TSR Mobile
Motorbiker
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Anyone know the weather forecast? Lots of rain as usual?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Robbo-92
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Isn't Malaysia always forecast rain?

The problem with rain at Malaysia is that it seems to rain too much and too fast making the track unsafe to drive on meaning it's a red flag scenario rather than a potentially thrilling wet race.

On the one hand I want it to be dry to see if Williams and Ferrari are any closer to Mercedes on a proper circuit but on the other hand a wet weather race could spice things up and close the gap.
Loat
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Hamilton will be leading by four seconds from Rosberg, and cruising to an easy victory.

As the Mercedes cars prepare to pass Alonso under blue flags for the fourth time, the McLaren's steering will jam on full lock and the car will spin towards a puddle. Fernando simultaneously suffers from a mild stroke, an epileptic fit and an apocalyptic tantrum with Ron Dennis. As he hits the puddle, the ERS will malfunction, causing a spectacular lightning storm down the pit straight as the leaders accelerate from the hairpin.

Hamilton crosses the line just ahead of Rosberg, looks around to celebrate and realise that he is no longer in Sepang. It is the year 2000, and he has just beaten his teammate in Formula A.

The pair will now have to work together to get back to the future, before Sebastian Vettel can claim a 5th world title...
Jean-Luc Picard
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
In.

hopefully another good weekend for Lewis, interesting to see how Bottas does back from injury, reckon he is most likely to challenge Vettel for best of the rest this year.
F1's Finest
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
subbing.
PetrosAC
  • Political Ambassador
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Loat)
Hamilton will be leading by four seconds from Rosberg, and cruising to an easy victory.

As the Mercedes cars prepare to pass Alonso under blue flags for the fourth time, the McLaren's steering will jam on full lock and the car will spin towards a puddle. Fernando simultaneously suffers from a mild stroke, an epileptic fit and an apocalyptic tantrum with Ron Dennis. As he hits the puddle, the ERS will malfunction, causing a spectacular lightning storm down the pit straight as the leaders accelerate from the hairpin.

Hamilton crosses the line just ahead of Rosberg, looks around to celebrate and realise that he is no longer in Sepang. It is the year 2000, and he has just beaten his teammate in Formula A.

The pair will now have to work together to get back to the future, before Sebastian Vettel can claim a 5th world title...
This is actually brilliant xD

Posted from TSR Mobile
legen-daryklutz
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Loat)

Sounds legit:yy:
Jean-Luc Picard
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Manor-Marussia didn't have a great start, Mehri had to pit in going very slow

Hamilton's car has no telemetry and now it's stopped on track :erm: not a great start
drewBusby
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago

Hamilton blue arai which he can't wear due to the new rules.
And then...
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Hurry up and come to Europe, these times are killing me. Morning everyone.
Andy98
  • Study Helper
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
I reckon if Marussia pull their finger out this year they might be in with a shot of beating McLaren in the constructors.

Posted from TSR Mobile
And then...
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
I only watched FP1 so don't want to make comment but if McLaren don't sort out their issues before Marussia gets the 2015 engine you could be right.
drewBusby
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by And then...)
Hurry up and come to Europe, these times are killing me. Morning everyone.
drewBusby
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
I had to ditch watching bbc on the tele, after streaming sky f1 for the last couple of races.
You can't go back to bbc's Perry Q/A style of presenting which gets a tad bit boring once you become accustomed to sky's massive team of individuals who are all well versed on the topic of f1.
Motorbiker
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by drewBusby)
I had to ditch watching bbc on the tele, after streaming sky f1 for the last couple of races.
You can't go back to bbc's Perry Q/A style of presenting which gets a tad bit boring once you become accustomed to sky's massive team of individuals who are all well versed on the topic of f1.
I'm too lazy. BBC is so much easier to watch.

Posted from TSR Mobile
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you made up your mind on your five uni choices?

Yes I know where I'm applying (76)
67.26%
No I haven't decided yet (21)
18.58%
Yes but I might change my mind (16)
14.16%

Watched Threads