Purchasing a car for more practise.. Worth it? Watch

CautiousCat
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
I'm getting closer and closer to my test 4-6 weeks away and there are certain things I want to perfect and get better at in preparation such as parallel parking. I know the car I want to get and on a provisional license with my mum as an additional driver I can get insurance on it for 50-60 pounds a month. And then my insurance is around 900 pounds when I get my full UK license. (for the year).:confused:

I was wondering if I should purchase a car now and practise my reverse parking in this carpark over my road after hours (I live in a small town and this carpark is always completely empty).

Is there any draw backs I should know etc?

And I know I could just do these in lessons but I think with extra practise I would go into my test even more experienced and therefore more of a chance of passing.

Thoughts? Thanks!
Spike1999
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
hmm it's a tricky one, have you had a mock practical driving test ?
CautiousCat
Rep:
?
(Original post by Spike1999)
hmm it's a tricky one, have you had a mock practical driving test ?
Not yet. Im not even sure if I will be doing one.. Am I mean't to? I've done test routes under test conditions. My instructor believes I'm ready for my test I just need to get this one crossroad correct (my previous thread post) and he'll book me in.
Spike1999
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
No not necessarily, it would be a good indication of what you need to practice on. That's good you've been taken on the test route, so you know what to expect i.e traffic volumes. In my opinion I would say wait until after the test before you buy the car, I went down this route unfortunately I failed my test I had to wait a couple of months before I passed.
Mmmmmmbgh
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
The problem with getting a car before you pass is that it's only worth it if you are able to practice a lot. A car that you buy may have different capabilities than the one that you learn in. E.g diesel vs petrol. You also need to be able to adapt between the two cars as you would need different amount of pressure of the brakes of two different cars. Your instructors car is likely to have fiercer brakes
CautiousCat
Rep:
?
Yeah I understand.. I suppose I just hope I pass first time Thank you both for your comments.
iwanevans
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
I wouldn't bother, just get insured on your parents car and practice as much as possible.
CautiousCat
Rep:
?
(Original post by iwanevans)
I wouldn't bother, just get insured on your parents car and practice as much as possible.
See I want to do this but both of my parents cars are expensive and ones a sports car. Ones a mini cooper sport and I've messed around in it before but the clutch is so hard its too different to practise in I think.

Just wish they had a standard car

EDIT: I don't want to sound arrogant and a "boaster". Just their cars are too different to my instructors.
iwanevans
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by CautiousCat)
See I want to do this but both of my parents cars are expensive and ones a sports car. Ones a mini cooper sport and I've messed around in it before but the clutch is so hard its too different to practise in I think.

Just wish they had a standard car

EDIT: I don't want to sound arrogant and a "boaster". Just their cars are too different to my instructors.
I'd just stay stick to your instructors car, and get as many hours in as you can! And ask your instructor about using your parents car? You will have to drive in different cars during your lifetime, after all. It's all experience!
CautiousCat
Rep:
?
(Original post by iwanevans)
I'd just stay stick to your instructors car, and get as many hours in as you can! And ask your instructor about using your parents car? You will have to drive in different cars during your lifetime, after all. It's all experience!
Good point! I parked a new fiat 500 today and realised how different all cars actually are! My instructors clutch is, well, what im used to.. My mums car is like crunching a brick compared to my instructors fiesta and this fiat had a biting point about a meter above the floor haha!

I appreciate the comment. I'll talk to my instructor and see what he suggests!
Y2J97
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Hi, I purchased a new car last Wednesday and my test is just under 3 weeks time. I have been out everyday in the car and I have developed a lot of confidence and practiced the manoevres time and time again and have improved also. It's really worth it! If you can afford it then I would certainly buy one. Good luck!
AntW161
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
PASSED! Yes, confidence is key, I knew I passed pulling into the test center.
iwanevans
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by AntW161)
PASSED! Yes, confidence is key, I knew I passed pulling into the test center.
Well done!

Posted from TSR Mobile
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How has the start of this academic year been for you?

Loving it - gonna be a great year (131)
18.3%
It's just nice to be back! (194)
27.09%
Not great so far... (257)
35.89%
I want to drop out! (134)
18.72%

Watched Threads