babausis
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
Hello, I am trying to choose between a few courses on Music Production. I've tried to read something related to this topic in this forum, but I hope to get some more experience and advice from you. It isn't possible for me to decide which one should I pick from these:

1. SAE Institute London
2. SSR London
3. Huddersfield

Maybe you have some thoughts to share on these. It would be really helpful.
04MR17
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Which has the best course on offer?
babausis
Rep:
?
SAE Institute
04MR17
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by babausis)
SAE Institute
Is there a reason you don't want do this one?
babausis
Rep:
?
I'm sorry, I didn't understand the first question for the first time. All of these courses look very similar to me on many aspects and I can't decide which one would be the right choice. Each course looks ok, but I'm just looking for some opinions that would compare them to each other.
04MR17
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Can't help you I'm afraid: not my area. Sorry.
Leeds College of Music
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Hey :-)

I studied Music Production and I remember it being really difficult to decide where to go. I actually wrote a short blog post which you can view here.

The main thing I found that helped to make my decision was going to visit the different unis - even if they haven't got an open day. You can normally request to have a look around and have a chat with the staff. This is what really helped me because you can ask loads of questions, and you always get a better idea when you're there and can explore the area.

Also, if it helps, I went to look at Huddersfield and even though the facilities were okay, I thought the course was more focused on computer music and synthesizes rather than the process of writing and recording/mixing music which is what I wanted to do. I think there was also a lot of written work, which didn't really appeal to me.

Just have a think about what you really enjoy within Music Production and go for the course that fits around that. Obviously there will be modules you won't enjoy as much but I reckon you'll find one that stands out more than the others.

Feel free to ask me more questions if I've helped and good luck!!

Jemma
babausis
Rep:
?
(Original post by Leeds College of Music)
Hey :-)

I studied Music Production and I remember it being really difficult to decide where to go. I actually wrote a short blog post which you can view here.

The main thing I found that helped to make my decision was going to visit the different unis - even if they haven't got an open day. You can normally request to have a look around and have a chat with the staff. This is what really helped me because you can ask loads of questions, and you always get a better idea when you're there and can explore the area.

Also, if it helps, I went to look at Huddersfield and even though the facilities were okay, I thought the course was more focused on computer music and synthesizes rather than the process of writing and recording/mixing music which is what I wanted to do. I think there was also a lot of written work, which didn't really appeal to me.

Just have a think about what you really enjoy within Music Production and go for the course that fits around that. Obviously there will be modules you won't enjoy as much but I reckon you'll find one that stands out more than the others.

Feel free to ask me more questions if I've helped and good luck!!

Jemma
Hello Thanks for advice! I am also looking for more recording/mixing and songwriting, so it will be really helpful to re-check the details of each course.
Leeds College of Music
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Hello Thanks for advice! I am also looking for more recording/mixing and songwriting, so it will be really helpful to re-check the details of each course.
Hey!

Yeah I would check them all

I'm sure if you email the unis they would send you a more detailed overview of the modules within each of the courses.

Are you looking for September this year or next year 2016? Just wondered if you could look at maybe expanding your options?

Jemma
candytreeman
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
It is quite a variety of courses, SSR and SAE similar in terms of being private providers, with Huddersfield being a public uni. You really need to visit the campuses and study the course literature (not just the marketing talk on the websites, also the content of the module narratives). Talk to staff and students and make an informed choice.
SAE Oxford
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by candytreeman)
It is quite a variety of courses, SSR and SAE similar in terms of being private providers, with Huddersfield being a public uni. You really need to visit the campuses and study the course literature (not just the marketing talk on the websites, also the content of the module narratives). Talk to staff and students and make an informed choice.
Hi!

i would advise that you come in and see what SAE have to offer, we have an Open Day at the London campus on 11th July, you can book on our website. If the 11th doesn't suit you then please book a tour in with us. The campus direct number is 0207 923 9159. If you ave any questions, please email me on [email protected]. I work at the Oxford campus but am happy to help. Pippa
monkeybb
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Hello, I am trying to choose between a few courses on Music Production. I've tried to read something related to this topic in this forum, but I hope to get some more experience and advice from you. It isn't possible for me to decide which one should I pick from these:

1. SAE Institute London
2. SSR London
3. Huddersfield

Maybe you have some thoughts to share on these. It would be really helpful.
Hey... I came across this post also seeking help with joining a music production course this coming year! It's so so hard deciding where is best. I looked around SAE Oxford and it blew my mind, but now I've been to Birmingham Uni Open day, it's thrown a spanner in the works. I NEED to know whether I would progress and achieve more choosing SAE... Essentially you could say £6000 more. I mean it's a lot of money to blindly invest in something you could gain the equivalent else where e.g. huddersfield...

I wondered if you had any more progress? Have you looked anywhere else? Financially Birmingham is winning but in terms of what you gain... I'm going to be spending A LOT of money either way. So I just want to find the best place... hmm.

Not sure if you have seen the other posts from Media students at SAE saying it wasn't worth it... this worries me.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Surrey
    Postgraduate Open Afternoon Postgraduate
    Wed, 23 Oct '19
  • University of Bristol
    Undergraduate Open Afternoon Undergraduate
    Wed, 23 Oct '19
  • University of Exeter
    Undergraduate Open Day - Penryn Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 23 Oct '19

Would you turn to a teacher if you were being bullied?

Yes (34)
25.19%
No (101)
74.81%

Watched Threads