Is a lack of use of Facebook going to be bad? Watch

angelfox
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
I've got a facebook account, however haven't updated it since about 2011/2012ish, and all the things I've liked are well out of date, and my picture is 4 or 5 years old. I rarely go on and don't really accept people.

Could this be a bit of a problem with accommodation? I've applied at Essex, and should I try and get back on the facebook hype?
Roving Fish
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by angelfox)
I've got a facebook account, however haven't updated it since about 2011/2012ish, and all the things I've liked are well out of date, and my picture is 4 or 5 years old. I rarely go on and don't really accept people.

Could this be a bit of a problem with accommodation? I've applied at Essex, and should I try and get back on the facebook hype?
It'll make your life and settling in easier. If you throw up a few recent photos and post saying that you've come back to Facebook - people will see that you had a hiatus.

You can then get involved with the accommodation groups and adding your potential flatmates.
TheTranshumanist
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
In my experience you'd be much better off using it. Facebook is the preferred method of communication at uni. Clubs and societies at uni use it almost exclusively to organise events, or to relay important information to members. Facebook's messaging service is used pretty much universally, and your flatmates will probably set up a group chat. In short, you'll probably miss out on a lot for not using Facebook; I know I would have.

Don't worry about your period of inactivity. As suggested above, upload a few pictures and/or update your profile picture, but I doubt anyone will really care.
angelfox
Rep:
?
(Original post by TheTranshumanist)
In my experience you'd be much better off using it. Facebook is the preferred method of communication at uni. Clubs and societies at uni use it almost exclusively to organise events, or to relay important information to members. Facebook's messaging service is used pretty much universally, and your flatmates will probably set up a group chat. In short, you'll probably miss out on a lot for not using Facebook; I know I would have.

Don't worry about your period of inactivity. As suggested above, upload a few pictures and/or update your profile picture, but I doubt anyone will really care.
I don't really wanna draw attention though, what about creating a twitter?
TheTranshumanist
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
I don't really wanna draw attention though, what about creating a twitter?
Twitter's not nearly as good for communicating, nor is it as widely used as Facebook. It's pretty much just for microblogging.

Who are you worried about drawing the attention of? I don't know your situation, but I doubt you'll draw any serious attention from uploading a few pictures on facebook from time to time. This is this something that everyone does, and your friends will probably have hundreds of people on their friend lists who do this. But even if you do draw attention to yourself, I'd say it's still worth using Facebook.
angelfox
Rep:
?
Twitter's not nearly as good for communicating, nor is it as widely used as Facebook. It's pretty much just for microblogging.

Who are you worried about drawing the attention of? I don't know your situation, but I doubt you'll draw any serious attention from uploading a few pictures on facebook from time to time. This is this something that everyone does, and your friends will probably have hundreds of people on their friend lists who do this. But even if you do draw attention to yourself, I'd say it's still worth using Facebook.
It's just as I've been 'dead' if you will on Facebook for so long, it could draw attention, I've only got around 170ish friends on there as well.
TheTranshumanist
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
It's just as I've been 'dead' if you will on Facebook for so long, it could draw attention, I've only got around 170ish friends on there as well.
So was I before uni, and no-one cared when I became active again. Anyway, as I said, a bit of awkwardness now will be absolutely worth it in the long run for having facebook. Trust me. When people meet you they're generally not going to trade phone numbers; they're going to add you on facebook. When your club/society organises an event/social, they'll post it on facebook. It may not be an absolute necessity, but I cannot stress how useful facebook is for managing your social life.
JME10
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
If I were you, I'd follow the advice given and kinda sort out your Facebook. I'd try and get somewhat active on it and post every now and then till uni. Aside from it being important for the reasons previously listed, I remember two of the girls I lived with saying how after adding me from a fresher group, they had a good look around my profile to try and suss me out and judge me I guess lol.

They said mine was 'good' in that they liked it and it gave them a good impression of me compared to another flatmate who they thought they wouldn't vibe with based on his pics. Obviously the Facebook profiles didn't matter when we all were living together but it just shows how your online presence can frame a person's willingness to engage with you
sr90
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
It really helps when you're new and getting to know people. I made a completely new one for uni and nobody noticed/cared. You'll add so many people in Freshers year that your 'friends' number becomes irrelevant anyway.

Really? I didn't realise that many people still used it regularly :lol: It's useful for people who you don't know or don't have their number, but not so much for good friends. The days of sitting on your laptop for hours with FB Chat open are long gone.
kingoftheting
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Once my mum started using Facebook, I knew I had to leave.

Actually, I just blocked her.
victoriahope
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
I've already been added to a lot of freshers groups on Facebook, and already started chatting with people who have applied to my course & put down the same first choice accommodation as I have. I very rarely go on Facebook to make status updates or anything like that, but I'm already finding it to be helpful when it comes to getting to know people. I'd definitely say it'd be a good idea to update your profile a little -- or make a new one -- even if just to use it to add people, join groups, etc.
TheTranshumanist
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by sr90)
Really? I didn't realise that many people still used it regularly :lol: It's useful for people who you don't know or don't have their number, but not so much for good friends. The days of sitting on your laptop for hours with FB Chat open are long gone.
Not just on computers. There's a very handy smartphone app for it, which is presumably why it's so widely and frequently used even now. I use it more often than the SMS, and I imagine I'm not alone in that.
angelfox
Rep:
?
So basically, I should start a new facebook? I cba to deal with unliking all of the immature crap, and cringing at all of the old, bad pictures of myself.
jameswhughes
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by sr90)
It really helps when you're new and getting to know people. I made a completely new one for uni and nobody noticed/cared. You'll add so many people in Freshers year that your 'friends' number becomes irrelevant anyway.

Do you not have Facebook Messenger on your phone? It's a lot better than standard SMS and completely free, everyone I know uses it.
sr90
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by jameswhughes)
Do you not have Facebook Messenger on your phone? It's a lot better than standard SMS and completely free, everyone I know uses it.
Of course I do, but if I have someones number i'll text them.

There's WhatsApp as well, I don't use it but lots of people do.

So basically, I should start a new facebook? I cba to deal with unliking all of the immature crap, and cringing at all of the old, bad pictures of myself.
Everyone has a **** ton of pages they liked in Year 10 or cringey photos that get bumped for a laugh. It won't just be you.
angelfox
Rep:
?
(Original post by sr90)

Everyone has a **** ton of pages they liked in Year 10 or cringey photos that get bumped for a laugh. It won't just be you.
Year 8/9 for me, honestly the photos are sooooooo bad. Probably best to just start a fresh
Chief Wiggum
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago

I don't think it matters that you haven't used it much recently. You can still use it for stuff now if you need to, eg adding flatmates etc.

EDIT: Yeah, making a new one would be fine also.
jameswhughes
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by sr90)

Texting is dying for a reason - there's no group messaging, no sending pictures or videos, you have to pay more for an unlimited plan, it costs the earth to do it to non UK numbers or to send texts from abroad. It's no surprise these messaging apps are popular!
sr90
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by jameswhughes)
Texting is dying for a reason - there's no group messaging, no sending pictures or videos, you have to pay more for an unlimited plan, it costs the earth to do it to non UK numbers or to send texts from abroad. It's no surprise these messaging apps are popular!
Unlimited texts are pretty standard nowadays tbh. I know group chats are popular these days, but I see my housemates daily and none of my close friends know each other so I don't really need one.

Posted from TSR Mobile
LeaX
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
I never use Facebook but I still have an account because things like group projects are usually done over Facebook and it's good liking your university's fresher page and any societies as it keeps you in the loop with events and stuff. Some people from my halls added me before I started and they probably saw that my Facebook page was empty but I don't care lol, I don't like Facebook and I only use it for privately messaging people.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Cardiff Metropolitan University
    Undergraduate Open Day - Llandaff Campus Undergraduate
    Sat, 19 Oct '19
  • Coventry University
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 19 Oct '19
  • University of Birmingham
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 19 Oct '19

Why wouldn't you turn to teachers if you were being bullied?

They might tell my parents (24)
6.86%
They might tell the bully (33)
9.43%
I don't think they'd understand (53)
15.14%
It might lead to more bullying (135)
38.57%
There's nothing they could do (105)
30%

Watched Threads