So what future does the French language have? Watch

navarre
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
http://www.thelocal.fr/20150320/a-po...nguage-in-2015

Those fanatical guardians of the French language over at the Académie Francaise have plenty to smile about these days.

Why? Because despite the dominance of English, the number of French speakers has actually shot up in recent years.

In 2014, there were an estimated 274 million speakers of the language – a 25 percent increase since 2010 – according to a report by the International Organization of la Francophonie (OIF).

Of this number, 212 million spoke the language on a daily basis, representing a rise of seven percent in four years.

Notably, countries in sub-Saharan Africa saw a 15-percent hike in French speakers, thanks to demographic growth and the prioritizing of French in the education system.

Moreover, French was found to be the second most studied language in the world, the fifth most spoken language, the second working language in most organizations and the fourth language of the internet.
An interesting analysis of French. Although it's not the widely spoken language it once was, the future of French may be bright- especially in Africa. However, Africans nations may decide to abandon French in favour of English (like Rwanda has) or indigenous languages (like Algeria), so the projected 750 million French speakers by 2050 is still not certain.
bittr n swt
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Meh french is doing ok but not as great as spanish
whorace
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
The world would be an incredibly boring place without the wonderful barriers that divide us. I don't dispute that there are numerous advantages to having a common language, with regards to politics it is quite clear countries that have similar cultures are less likely to war; however French is a beautiful language and should be preserved as much as possible.

It will certainly always have a place for me.
HFF
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
The language of love, so it would always do okay for that reason - even without most of North Africa speaking it.
WokSz
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
There was a highly controversial vote brought in by certain Cantons in Switzerland to remove French from the obligatory education system for younger children. Naturally, the vote didn't get a majority but it's a bit worrying to think that such a historically rich and important language may be lost.
navarre
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
(Original post by WokSz)
There was a highly controversial vote brought in by certain Cantons in Switzerland to remove French from the obligatory education system for younger children. Naturally, the vote didn't get a majority but it's a bit worrying to think that such a historically rich and important language may be lost.
How is the French language doing in Switzerland? I know Switzerland is officially a quad-lingual nation, with German, French, Italian and Romansh spoken, but I hear it's essentially a German speaking nation nowadays.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you made up your mind on your five uni choices?

Yes I know where I'm applying (85)
68.55%
No I haven't decided yet (23)
18.55%
Yes but I might change my mind (16)
12.9%

Watched Threads