phillips98
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
So I'm currently doing my ASlevels and I am on track for 4As. I am thinking about Unis and I reaaaallly want to go to British Columbia in Canada.
I was wondering if anyone knew whether it would be better to go to a UK uni and apply to do a year abroad, or to apply directly to the uni and apply for the academic scholarship. Does anyone know how successful applicants are? Any advice would be great

Posted from TSR Mobile
hollybeth
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by phillips98)
So I'm currently doing my ASlevels and I am on track for 4As. I am thinking about Unis and I reaaaallly want to go to British Columbia in Canada.
I was wondering if anyone knew whether it would be better to go to a UK uni and apply to do a year abroad, or to apply directly to the uni and apply for the academic scholarship. Does anyone know how successful applicants are? Any advice would be great

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hey!
I can't be of much use with the acceptance rates etc but thought I would comment as I'm currently on my year abroad from a UK uni. I think studying abroad for your whole degree would be a fantastic opportunity but is something you really need to think about carefully.

As much as I'm loving my year abroad and never want it to end, I'm not sure if I could miss out on every single family event etc for more than a year. You end up missing all your friends birthdays as well. Doesn't sound too bad but something you need to think about!

On a similar note, you should think about what you want to do when you graduate. Not that you can't have a Canadian degree and work in the UK, or the other way round, but I imagine graduate prospects will be better in the country you graduate in, at least initially. You should think about it in the long run - if you want to start your post-grad life somewhere completely new
fluffyowl
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
I also did a year abroad from a UK uni (I was in US for a year). Personally, I think it is a massive step to go to somewhere like Canada of the US for your degree, especially if you haven't been there before. I had been to the US before, but not to the place I lived in. I absolutely loved the experience, but I am not sure whether I would have enjoyed it so much if I was there for 4 years. I am really close to my family, and don't have a lot of spare money, so I wouldn't have been able to visit them that much. They did visit me for the Christmas I spent out there, but I didn't go back the UK during the year.

I think going to a European university isn't so bad as you are a lot closer to home. I was considering doing post-graduate studies at a European uni, but decided to stay in the UK in the end.

Obviously, you have to look at your finances to see if it is a viable option. I do think hollybeth is right in terms of job prospects. If you want to work in Canada, you may find it easier to get a job there with a Canadian degree.
phillips98
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
Thank you both for your advice!
I think I would definitely like to work in North America in the future as a budding geographer/economist. Can I ask what courses you're doing?
I was thinking about applying to a European uni possibly Germany.. However if I were to be looking for a job in Canada then i guess it makes sense to go there.
Again it does depend on whether I get the scholarship etc.. And I would plan on visiting for a couple weeks.
Thanks again for your feedback it's helped a lot!

Posted from TSR Mobile
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Bournemouth University
    Midwifery Open Day at Portsmouth Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 16 Oct '19
  • Teesside University
    All faculties open Undergraduate
    Wed, 16 Oct '19
  • University of the Arts London
    London College of Fashion – Cordwainers Footwear and Bags & Accessories Undergraduate
    Wed, 16 Oct '19

How has the start of this academic year been for you?

Loving it - gonna be a great year (105)
17.68%
It's just nice to be back! (163)
27.44%
Not great so far... (212)
35.69%
I want to drop out! (114)
19.19%

Watched Threads