Yake-o
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
Hey all

So I'm finishing university in two months (scary!) and I have been considering going into a degree in medicine. Now at the moment this is all just a vague idea about what I want to do with myself in the future.

The problem is I sufferer from a long term mental illness which has meant I have had to take lots of time out of university and ruined my second year marks. My attendance has also been about 20-30% so I'm really worried about getting a reference from the Uni to give to my next course provider.

As it's medicine I was going to do an access course at a college for a year before I appy from a Degree course.

If I did do that, could I just put whoever taught me at the college down as a referee instead of the university? Or any other ideas?

Thanks in advance
JenniB22
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Yake-o)
Hey all

So I'm finishing university in two months (scary!) and I have been considering going into a degree in medicine. Now at the moment this is all just a vague idea about what I want to do with myself in the future.

The problem is I sufferer from a long term mental illness which has meant I have had to take lots of time out of university and ruined my second year marks. My attendance has also been about 20-30% so I'm really worried about getting a reference from the Uni to give to my next course provider.

As it's medicine I was going to do an access course at a college for a year before I appy from a Degree course.

If I did do that, could I just put whoever taught me at the college down as a referee instead of the university? Or any other ideas?

Thanks in advance
You nominate your own referee, don't worry!
ForestCat
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Hey all

Thanks in advance
Why are you doing an access course if you will have a degree?
Yake-o
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
(Original post by ForestCat)
Why are you doing an access course if you will have a degree?
I havea degree in English Lit and Philosophy so it's not really applicable to sciences. I know I would need to get some A-level knowledge in Chemistry before I could consider doing the course anyway, so I think it'll be good prep.

And I don't think there is anyone at the uni I would nominate as my referee as I don't trust anyone to give me a good reference.
JenniB22
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
I havea degree in English Lit and Philosophy so it's not really applicable to sciences. I know I would need to get some A-level knowledge in Chemistry before I could consider doing the course anyway, so I think it'll be good prep.

And I don't think there is anyone at the uni I would nominate as my referee as I don't trust anyone to give me a good reference.
Just fyi, I'm a classics graduate and I had 3 offers this year...you don't need to do an access course just because of your lack of sciences! Check out my post history and you'll see how I went about it this year.

Posted from TSR Mobile
ForestCat
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by JenniB22)
Just fyi, I'm a classics graduate and I had 3 offers this year...you don't need to do an access course just because of your lack of sciences! Check out my post history and you'll see how I went about it this year.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Listen to Jenni. You don't need a science background for GEM. Plus I highly doubt you would qualify for an access course (they're designed for mature students who have been out of education) and universities would look at your degree anyway.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Bradford
    Undergraduate and Postgraduate Open day Postgraduate
    Thu, 24 Oct '19
  • Cardiff University
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 26 Oct '19
  • Brunel University London
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 26 Oct '19

Would you turn to a teacher if you were being bullied?

Yes (67)
23.18%
No (222)
76.82%

Watched Threads