MSc Human Resource Management and Industrial Relations Watch

She_Bittersweet
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
Hi Guys,

I was looking into doing masters for a while now and until quite recently i realized that i would want to specialize in HR. I currently work in an HR related job and really enjoy it.

So far i have come across one really good course Msc Human Resource Management and Industrial Relations at the University of Manchester. I also did my BA in Arabic at Manchester Uni as well.

My question is what are the prospects with an HR degree? I would appreciate if people that have done it or have knowledge about it could give me some insight.

At the end of the day Msc is 10k and i would like to spend it wisely
klika89
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by She_Bittersweet)
Hi Guys,

I was looking into doing masters for a while now and until quite recently i realized that i would want to specialize in HR. I currently work in an HR related job and really enjoy it.

So far i have come across one really good course Msc Human Resource Management and Industrial Relations at the University of Manchester. I also did my BA in Arabic at Manchester Uni as well.

My question is what are the prospects with an HR degree? I would appreciate if people that have done it or have knowledge about it could give me some insight.

At the end of the day Msc is 10k and i would like to spend it wisely

When it comes to HR the uni degree does not necessary help much. What counts is the CIPD qualification, so if you want to spend money wisely I would suggest looking at Masters combined with CIPD qualification. I personally did mine at Kingston Uni
She_Bittersweet
Rep:
?
(Original post by klika89)
When it comes to HR the uni degree does not necessary help much. What counts is the CIPD qualification, so if you want to spend money wisely I would suggest looking at Masters combined with CIPD qualification. I personally did mine at Kingston Uni
Thanks for a quick response, Manchester offers CIPD qualification which is also a major advantage
klika89
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Thanks for a quick response, Manchester offers CIPD qualification which is also a major advantage
which level CIPD is it?
Tcannon
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Concur with CIPD accreditation. Manchester HRM has a good academic reputation. On the pro side, you get alumni discount at MBS. Birmingham U's HRM with CIPD pathway has the right balance.
She_Bittersweet
Rep:
?
(Original post by klika89)
which level CIPD is it?
"This Masters is approved to the new equivalent advanced level postgraduate standard. You will join CIPD as a student member and on completion of the Masters and CIPD components you will have achieved the underpinning knowledge towards a level of professional membership. Once you have applied your knowledge in the workplace you will be in a position to apply to CIPD for a membership upgrade.
On passing all the modules of the Masters degree (including the dissertation) and the CIPD-recognised stream and activities of the course, you will automatically achieve Associate Membership. Once you have work experience you can apply for Chartered membership."

So from what i understand you can only become CIPD certified once you start working in HR?
klika89
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
"This Masters is approved to the new equivalent advanced level postgraduate standard. You will join CIPD as a student member and on completion of the Masters and CIPD components you will have achieved the underpinning knowledge towards a level of professional membership. Once you have applied your knowledge in the workplace you will be in a position to apply to CIPD for a membership upgrade.
On passing all the modules of the Masters degree (including the dissertation) and the CIPD-recognised stream and activities of the course, you will automatically achieve Associate Membership. Once you have work experience you can apply for Chartered membership."

So from what i understand you can only become CIPD certified once you start working in HR?
CIPD has 7 different levels for their training, depending what you study. When we started each of us became a student member (unless you were a CIPD member before) once we paid the membership cost and from what we were told once they get our results from uni, we will be able to try and upgrade the membership to the next level. Higher levels of membership require also more HR exprience
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Bradford
    Undergraduate and Postgraduate Open day Postgraduate
    Thu, 24 Oct '19
  • Cardiff University
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 26 Oct '19
  • Brunel University London
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 26 Oct '19

Would you turn to a teacher if you were being bullied?

Yes (65)
23.3%
No (214)
76.7%

Watched Threads