Saudi Arabia bombs Houthi in Yemen Watch

Aj12
  • Political Ambassador
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
Delicious sauce.

"Saudi Arabia and a coalition of regional allies have launched a military operation in Yemen against the Houthi rebels, who deposed the US-backed Yemeni president last month.
Adel al-Jubair, Saudi ambassador to the US, said on Wednesday that a coalition consisting of 10 countries, including the Gulf Cooperation Council (GCC), had begun airstrikes at 7pm Eastern time.
"The operation is to defend and support the legitimate government of Yemen and prevent the radical Houthi movement from taking over the country," Jubair told reporters in Washington."

The Houthi are backed by Iran and claim to be fighting al Qaeda in the country, the Yemeni branch are one of the most dangerous and active of all al Qaeda affiliates. I don't really know a huge amount about what is going on in the country, but it appears to be another front in a proxy war between Iran and Saudi and the Gulf States. Syria, Iraq, Yemen, this conflict is spreading all over the region. I have to wonder how long it will be before the powers involved start directly targeting each other.
HassanD
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Al-Qaeda and ISIS need to be fought on all fronts. If we let the disease grow for to long it could get out of hand to a point were we can't go back. This will spread all over the region including Saudi Arabia which worries them, hence the air strikes. The US also can't lose it's puppet states so they are jumping in too.

In my opinion it's not long before the powers go to war with each other. Saudi Arabia and Yemen are funding terrorists which are killing other sects of Islam, e.g. Shia and other people from other religion such as Christianity. That is directly provoking Iran and it's a question of how long are they going to cope with before finally deciding to directly get involved.

I don't see the Houthi rebels are 'radical'. They are fighting the radicals themselves or have I been missing something for the past 10 years? What did they expect, do slaughter a whole group of people based on their beliefs and not get a retaliation?
gagaslilmonsteruk
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
I don't know much about the situation, but who are the Houthi? I keep hearing about them, but have no idea who they are.

Also, if Pakistan is supporting the Saudis, this could make a major regional war even more serious, as we need to remember Pakistan is a nuclear-armed state. In addition, Morocco is considering support and that should put the EU, but especially the United Kingdom, Spain and Portugal in particular on alert, seeing as it's right on Gibraltar's doorstep and the doorstep of mainland Spain (especially Ceuta, the enclave in the north of Morocco) and Portugal, if this makes Morocco a target.

With Egypt contributing, and given what's going on in countries neighbouring Egypt, this is a situation we need to keep a close eye on. I also think we need to pay special attention to Turkey, given that there's already trouble on their doorstep with Syria and Iraq. Iran and even though not a neighbour, but a nearby country, Saudi Arabia in trouble will make life even more difficult for Turkey.
hassansheikh
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by gagaslilmonsteruk)
I don't know much about the situation, but who are the Houthi? I keep hearing about them, but have no idea who they are.

if Pakistan is supporting the Saudis, this could make a major regional war even more serious, as we need to remember Pakistan is a nuclear-armed state.
You are absolutely right! I, a Pakistan, am totally against the idea of Pakistani army supporting Saudi Arabia in a war that they, themselves, have started. Pakistan is already facing so much problems.
Houthi is an armed group of Shia muslims operating within Yemen.
gagaslilmonsteruk
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by hassansheikh)
You are absolutely right! I, a Pakistan, am totally against the idea of Pakistani army supporting Saudi Arabia in a war that they, themselves, have started. Pakistan is already facing so much problems.
Houthi is an armed group of Shia muslims operating within Yemen.
My knowledge of the M.E and Southern Asia in particular are pretty poor, I've been much more tuned into the crisis developing within Ukraine; however, I'm absolutely petrified of the potentials that this has.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Why wouldn't you turn to teachers if you were being bullied?

They might tell my parents (10)
6.58%
They might tell the bully (16)
10.53%
I don't think they'd understand (28)
18.42%
It might lead to more bullying (56)
36.84%
There's nothing they could do (42)
27.63%

Watched Threads