I have no clue about life outside of education (HE)... Watch

royal1990
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
Hi,

I'm basically just throwing this out there, in the hopes some of you can relate to my situation.

Essentially, I've come to the realisation that I just have 'no clue' about the 'real world' outside of this small confined space in my head that I've lived (education system), for at least, the past 9 years of my life.

That is to say, my prior long term goals, thoughts, tribulations and learned knowledge, no longer mean anything in the harsh reality of todays world.

I feel like I'm the product of the educational 'factory', churning out graduates that really and truly have being sold a misconception about the real world (i.e. you'll get a good job with education etc etc), what it is really like- for your average "working class" Uni leaver.

My girlfriend is rather down-to-earth, has struggled (like me in many ways), and knows what is like to have to pay bills, rent and have absolutely nothing. Me on the other hand, I feel I've had it easier (not because my parents are wealthy- because we're poor), but because my Mother doesn't make me pay rent, I have no bills to pay, and I live locally to the uni, I have always had a part time job, and student finance to fund my financial side of things.

I feel I'm having a conflict of interest between how I saw the world, and how it is going to be.

Does anyone else feel out of touch and panicky about the future?

I believe the misconception is a result of previous generations telling us "aim high, you don't want to be sweeping floors for the rest of your life"- and now, a generational shift is happening- or at least in opinion. The same people are saying "oh you think that job is beneath you- get a job!"....
ByEeek
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
You are certainly not the only one to have these feelings. It isn't really about the fact that you have been in some sort of mind bending conspiracy. Simply that you have lived at home, got your education and now it is time to move on. That is a massive step and probably bigger for you as it is from home into the big wide world. Many students have this blow softened a little. Living in halls, then a shared house is a good way to ease yourself gently into the world of being self sufficient / reliant.

So why not attempt to make that step yourself? Do you have any friends looking for a house mate? Sharing with others keeps your costs down, keeps things social and gives you the opportunity to go out into the world and fend for yourself.

Everyone does it sooner or later. Go for it!

Good luck!
royal1990
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
(Original post by ByEeek)
You are certainly not the only one to have these feelings. It isn't really about the fact that you have been in some sort of mind bending conspiracy. Simply that you have lived at home, got your education and now it is time to move on. That is a massive step and probably bigger for you as it is from home into the big wide world. Many students have this blow softened a little. Living in halls, then a shared house is a good way to ease yourself gently into the world of being self sufficient / reliant.

So why not attempt to make that step yourself? Do you have any friends looking for a house mate? Sharing with others keeps your costs down, keeps things social and gives you the opportunity to go out into the world and fend for yourself.

Everyone does it sooner or later. Go for it!

Good luck!
I'd agree with what you've said, although, I have already being through the process of being in student halls (living away from home), as I have done an additional year at a uni previously. I used my 'grace' year- funded from student finance- so I'd done an extra year, having lived away for the best part of a year.

So although what you say is true- I feel I still have experience of living independently- so I don't believe it is this that is so much of an impact.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Would you turn to a teacher if you were being bullied?

Yes (73)
23.93%
No (232)
76.07%

Watched Threads