tyrellabs
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
For my A2 Design, I am designing, making and marketing a textiles workspace, where the main feature is going to be a mechanism so that the sewing machine can move under the desk (eg. rotation) in order to move out of the way when tidying the area.

I need to research my target market, so if anybody is interested in sewing, or crafts of any kind it would be very helpful if you could answer the following questions:

What do you think is the most important function of a textiles workspace?

Do you think it will be beneficial if the chair and a desk are combined as a unit?

What functions would you like specifically for you in a desk?

Do you think it is difficult for your desk to be clutter free and what items are always occupying your workspace?

What essential items do you keep in your normal workspace?

Do you lean over your desk a lot when you work?

Thank you very much!!!
discombobulatedM
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
I need to research my target market, so if anybody is interested in sewing, or crafts of any kind it would be very helpful if you could answer the following questions:

What do you think is the most important function of a textiles workspace?
Providing enough space to be able to cut and mark out the fabric, or when designing have different pieces of paper spread out in front of you. So basically space as I find when I'm working I'm using different fabrics or pattern pieces at the same time so I need to be able to push the others out of the way. It's useful when the workspace provides drawers to place pin pots or scissors into if you don't have a sewing box.

Do you think it will be beneficial if the chair and a desk are combined as a unit?
Yes, as long as you are able to move the chair out of the way when you move the sewing machine under the desk as it is likely you will be stood leaning over the table when cutting the fabric.

What functions would you like specifically for you in a desk?
Drawers or a way to place the items out of the way when not in use so it doesn't appear cluttered.

Do you think it is difficult for your desk to be clutter free and what items are always occupying your workspace?
Yes, if constantly in use for textiles, it would be convenient to have a place to put the items that doesn't make it too difficult to get them out quickly again. Pins, scissors, pattern paper, bits of fabric, sewing machine and presser foot.

Do you lean over your desk a lot when you work?
Yes, when cutting and pinning the material, especially if the pattern pieces are big.

Hope that helped, I'm currently doing AS Product Design - Textiles
tyrellabs
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
Thank you so much!!! That's so helpful, and your answers will really help me design the final product!

Good luck with your AS'!! 😄
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of East Anglia
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sun, 20 Oct '19
  • University for the Creative Arts
    Sun, 20 Oct '19
  • University of Gloucestershire
    Sun, 20 Oct '19

Have you made up your mind on your five uni choices?

Yes I know where I'm applying (76)
67.26%
No I haven't decided yet (21)
18.58%
Yes but I might change my mind (16)
14.16%

Watched Threads