Sun!
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
Hi,

I graduated from a 'second-tier' university in 2012 with a 2.1 degree in history. Since then I have been teaching English abroad, in both Europe and Asia. I have had some great experiences and seen some wonderful things.

But now thoughts turn back to the UK and a future career. I am hoping to return home in the summer of 2016, and I am thinking of things I could do. I do however feel a bit unprepared. I feel like I don't have the skills to go into a graduate level job, yet I also (feel like I) graduated too long ago to go into a graduate programme.
I have gained a few qualifications since leaving uni. Namely a CELTA (A teaching certificate to teach English as a foreign language) and a few special-needs qualifications, but I feel these won't be that useful in the future.

The only career I know I don't want is in teaching haha! So, I am thinking about doing a masters degree to both increase my skills and employability. I am fairly interested in politics, so I am thinking of doing a masters in that. But the job prospects don't look that good. So, I am also thinking about some sort of business masters. I have around £12,000 saved, and I could get some money from family.

What do you guys think? Do you have any advice for me?

Thanks
Klix88
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
My first thought is that you may have trouble with residency and the resulting fee status, unless you've done some very careful planning before and during your time abroad.

You will only be classed as a Home/UK student if you have been "ordinarily resident" in the UK for three full years before the start of your Masters. If you don't have proof of that, then you will be charged International fees - and business-based Masters courses are already some of the most expensive.
Sun!
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
Hi!

That could/ would indeed be a problem. The same budget would stand though, and I could still afford some international masters degrees.

Another option I have been thinking about is going abroad to study. Degrees are much cheaper in the Netherlands and Scandinavia, even for international students.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Bristol
    Undergraduate Open Afternoon Undergraduate
    Wed, 23 Oct '19
  • University of Exeter
    Undergraduate Open Day - Penryn Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 23 Oct '19
  • University of Nottingham
    Mini Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 23 Oct '19

Have you made up your mind on your five uni choices?

Yes I know where I'm applying (116)
65.91%
No I haven't decided yet (36)
20.45%
Yes but I might change my mind (24)
13.64%

Watched Threads