The Student Room Group

Current Nurse/Midwife and Student Nurse/Midwife - Ask Me Anything thread masterlist

Scroll to see replies

Original post by moonkatt
I expect my students to participate in all aspects of nursing that they can. This includes last offices, it's an important part of nursing care.

That's brilliant - I would encourage it too, of course.

Most of my fellow students weren't encouraged to get involved while we were on our 4-week insight placement. We felt a bit like we were a nuissance to the ward being MH nurses and not general they almost excluded us despite us desperately trying to learn from the placement.

As a MH nursing student, I didn't get more than one opportunity to do any last offices whilst on my adult placement - the general nurses took over despite my asking to be involved with it. I'm lucky in a way (or not depending on how you look at it) that I haven't had to deal with it yet.

I'm sure as my career continues I will unfortunately see death, it's inevitable within nursing!
Hi,

i was hoping someone could give me some advice/tips/word of encouragement!

I have recently been lucky enough to have been offered a place on a adult nursing course starting sept 2016. However, i have a 18 month old and i beginning to wory about how i will manage my family/study time. I have a very supportive partner and family. Childcare shouldnt be to much of a problem but im worried baout how little family time i am going ot have.
Are there any newly qualifieds or current student nurses with a young family who could give me some reassurance?

Thank you :smile:
Hi this is probably the wrong place to post this. I am going back to college this year after a long break having my family. I have wanted to be a midwife since I left school. There are no access to midwifery courses (like there are for adult nursing). Would anyone be kind enough to tell me what is my best course of action. Should I take a health and social care course and a higher or should I do several highers before applying to university for next year? Thanks in advance.
Original post by MrsN2011
Hi this is probably the wrong place to post this. I am going back to college this year after a long break having my family. I have wanted to be a midwife since I left school. There are no access to midwifery courses (like there are for adult nursing). Would anyone be kind enough to tell me what is my best course of action. Should I take a health and social care course and a higher or should I do several highers before applying to university for next year? Thanks in advance.

Access to nursing tends to be more generically called access to healthcare these days and is widely accepted for midwifery degrees. Have a look at which universities you're thinking about going to and see what admission criteria they have, they might be able to point you in the direction of the best access course, especially if you're planning on staying local.
That's interesting I have not seen that course. I know that the college most local to me has an access to nursing course but I will have a look for the health care one elsewhere. Would it make a difference that I am in Scotland? Thanks so much for replying.
Original post by MrsN2011
That's interesting I have not seen that course. I know that the college most local to me has an access to nursing course but I will have a look for the health care one elsewhere. Would it make a difference that I am in Scotland? Thanks so much for replying.

I presume as you have a family you're settled where you are and will be wanting to go to university locally? Why not get in touch with where you're looking at going and ask for advice on admissions from them? They might accept the access to nursing course the college you've already looked at offers.
Hi all.
Thank you for this thread I've already taken in some good info.
I've recently received my unconditional offer to my chosen uni for Adult nursing starting Jan'17 however was wondering about what the health check entails and how long before you start the course do we have the checks? As I have a full time job at present and although it's a while away yet until I start I would like just know for future reference.
Good luck all!
Original post by Stephanie_anne
Hi all.
Thank you for this thread I've already taken in some good info.
I've recently received my unconditional offer to my chosen uni for Adult nursing starting Jan'17 however was wondering about what the health check entails and how long before you start the course do we have the checks? As I have a full time job at present and although it's a while away yet until I start I would like just know for future reference.
Good luck all!

You'll need to disclose any medical conditions and provide proof of your immunisation history. When you start there may be a blood test to check your immunity and then a course of hep b vaccinations.

Timing depends on the university. Most likely you'll get a form to fill in a few weeks before you start and then have an appointment with occupational health once term begins.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hello, I have been accepted to study adult nursing in September 2016 and just wanted to know if there were any good books I should invest in! Would like to do a bit of reading in the lead up to starting :smile: I have purchased the Ross and Wilson Anatomy and phisiology in health and illness and the student nurse survival guide (which I found really helpful for placement information and finances) thank you in advance :smile: x

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by 19910532
Hello, I have been accepted to study adult nursing in September 2016 and just wanted to know if there were any good books I should invest in! Would like to do a bit of reading in the lead up to starting :smile: I have purchased the Ross and Wilson Anatomy and phisiology in health and illness and the student nurse survival guide (which I found really helpful for placement information and finances) thank you in advance :smile: x

Posted from TSR Mobile

I advise against buying any books at this point. More than likely, once you start they will just sit on your bookshelf. Your library will have plenty of copies of the important ones and if you so wish you can always buy copies of the ones you find the most useful later on.
Thank you :smile: I think it's just because I'm getting excited, but you are right it would be a waste of money to buy some books that I could get from the library.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by ForestCat
You'll need to disclose any medical conditions and provide proof of your immunisation history. When you start there may be a blood test to check your immunity and then a course of hep b vaccinations.

Timing depends on the university. Most likely you'll get a form to fill in a few weeks before you start and then have an appointment with occupational health once term begins.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Great! Thanks for your time! I'm very excited to start even though it seems ages away! ☺️
Reply 152
Original post by Dommce
Thanks Mrs Sarny

Hi, I am 34 now and have an interview for Child Nursing next week for starting in Sep. I also have a 19 month old Son :-) x
Reply 153
Original post by PaediatricStN
I have something that may help you with the tests. Want me to PM you?

Hi, I have an interview next week for Children's Nursing and am really worried about the Maths test. I am 34 and got a D in Maths at School so re-sat last year and got a C (my tutor was expecting me to get a B). Could you please PM me with the thing that could help as well? Thanks :-) x
Reply 154
I have a question about Children's Nursing. I have an interview next week and although I only have a couple of months experience of working in an Adult Healthcare setting, I have about 8 years experience of working with Children of all ages. I also volunteer in the Creche at my Church on a Sunday and am a Qualified Teacher. In light of this, will having experience of working with Children of different ages and in different settings be good experience in the Uni's eyes?
Reply 155
Ok so interview on Wed for Uni of Cumbria for Children's Nursing - anyone know where is good to look for current issues or news in Nursing (other than Newspapers/News websites)? Any online journals?
Reply 156
Hi would it be possible to get advice on interviews for the course I seem to be able to get interviews then mess them up and I'm starting to think this isn't going to happen for me
Hi,
Wonder if you can help?! I'm just having a bit of a freak out re managing shifts/two children etc with not many childcare options. E.g. if I had to do some 7-7 shifts - just wondering how I would get my children to nursery/school when partner has to leave house at 7am! How flexible are the placements? I mean, do you think they would consider 9-9 instead or does it all depend on the ward/mentor? I'm suddenly thinking this isn't going to be very straightforward!!
X
Original post by AmyH81
I have a question about Children's Nursing. I have an interview next week and although I only have a couple of months experience of working in an Adult Healthcare setting, I have about 8 years experience of working with Children of all ages. I also volunteer in the Creche at my Church on a Sunday and am a Qualified Teacher. In light of this, will having experience of working with Children of different ages and in different settings be good experience in the Uni's eyes?

Simply put.
Yes.
But it's how you apply that experience that counts most of all.
Good luck!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by AmyH81
Ok so interview on Wed for Uni of Cumbria for Children's Nursing - anyone know where is good to look for current issues or news in Nursing (other than Newspapers/News websites)? Any online journals?

You don't need to be clued in on everything, that's what the course teaches you.
Just look in the news, local and nationally etc at what's happening in the NHS, what relates to children's nursing. This can include education too.
There's plenty of children's journals out there but some you need to pay for etc so try not to worry about it too much.
Keep an eye on the rcn website, there are links to journals on there too
Best of luck!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending