The Student Room Group

Getting into med school with extenuating circumstances

Will I be able to be accepted into med school with A levels of AAB if I have extenuating circumstances?

Are there any med schools with AAB as their entry requirements?

How do you go about applying with extenuating circumstances? Do you have to email admissions or do you let them know through your PS?

If I don't have the grades to get into med school can I retake all of my A levels and try again?

Original post by 1lastchance

Will I be able to be accepted into med school with A levels of AAB if I have extenuating circumstances?

How do you go about applying with extenuating circumstances? Do you have to email admissions or do you let them know through your PS?

If I don't have the grades to get into med school can I retake all of my A levels and try again?

There are some med schools which allow resits but most want AAA (or higher) in the first sitting.

I think Keele is the only uni that Accepts AAA or A*AB.

A second option is to do medicine as a postgrad, where they want a 2:1 instead of A levels.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Try the med schools with a foundation year. Or if your extenuating circs are socioeconomic your local med school might have a widening participation scheme that is slightly more lenient about grades for under-represented types.
Reply 3
Thank you.
Thank you.

I'm a resitter with A*AB first time who now has 3 offers for med. I had exten circumstances but these only really mattered for one of my choices.

email every single uni that says they sometimes accept resitters depending on circumstances explaining your situation. On top of that, if you have AAB achieved (this year) you could have applied to Lancaster, Liverpool, Exeter, Plymouth, Brighton and (I think) HYMS without any real disadvantage and without needing clarification on whether your exten circumstances are sufficient (some of these do ask for a reflection on the need to resit in your ps tho).

So, overall with those and then hopefully some other unis that have accepted your circumstances you should have around 8-10 or so choices open to you, get the best predictions, ps and ukcat you can and go for it.

It can be done, and I've seen quite a few resitters this year be successful with and without extenuated circumstances so work hard, chin up, good luck and please pm me if you want more info :smile:

Ps. Just to clarify: most likely you will have to resit as nowhere accepts AAB as far as I'm aware. If you are currently holding an offer then it is possible they'll accept you, but even then it is difficult (I got A*AB instead of AAA and none of my offers would accept me last year)
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Dr. Django
I'm a resitter with A*AB first time who now has 3 offers for med. I had exten circumstances but these only really mattered for one of my choices.

email every single uni that says they sometimes accept resitters depending on circumstances explaining your situation. On top of that, if you have AAB achieved (this year) you could have applied to Lancaster, Liverpool, Exeter, Plymouth, Brighton and (I think) HYMS without any real disadvantage and without needing clarification on whether your exten circumstances are sufficient (some of these do ask for a reflection on the need to resit in your ps tho).

So, overall with those and then hopefully some other unis that have accepted your circumstances you should have around 8-10 or so choices open to you, get the best predictions, ps and ukcat you can and go for it.

It can be done, and I've seen quite a few resitters this year be successful with and without extenuated circumstances so work hard, chin up, good luck and please pm me if you want more info :smile:

Ps. Just to clarify: most likely you will have to resit as nowhere accepts AAB as far as I'm aware. If you are currently holding an offer then it is possible they'll accept you, but even then it is difficult (I got A*AB instead of AAA and none of my offers would accept me last year)

Hi there, I read your message that you got predicted A*AB and still got rejected by all unis, out of interest which unis did you apply to because unfortunately that is what i have been predicted. Just to clarify are you saying that brighton, plymouth , lancaster, exeter and liverpool accepted peopLE WITH predicted A*aB

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending