Derivatives and integrals of Fourier series Watch

Goods
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago

I've got the series and the derivatives and integrals. How can I show what they sum to?

Or can I simply say that the Integral sums to the integral of |x| for |x|< l because the terms decrease more quickly and so it converges.

If the derivative converges can I say likewise for x=-l,l,0 its undefined for 0<x<l it's 1 and -l<x<0 it's -1. Also how can I show it converges? as the terms decrease more slowly than for the original fourier series and so its not necessarily going to converge...
Attached files
Smaug123
  • Study Helper
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Goods)

I've got the series and the derivatives and integrals. How can I show what they sum to?

Or can I simply say that the Integral sums to the integral of |x| for |x|< l because the terms decrease more quickly and so it converges.

If the derivative converges can I say likewise for x=-l,l,0 its undefined for 0<x<l it's 1 and -l<x<0 it's -1. Also how can I show it converges? as the terms decrease more slowly than for the original fourier series and so its not necessarily going to converge...
It is a fact that the Fourier series of the integral is the termwise integral of the Fourier series, and the Fourier series of the derivative is the termwise derivative of the Fourier series, assuming \sum_{n=0}^{\infty} n (a_n + b_n) converges. All you need is uniform convergence of the series, and that condition turns out to be sufficient. More explicitly, you can use the Weierstrass M-test.
Goods
Rep:
?
(Original post by Smaug123)
It is a fact that the Fourier series of the integral is the termwise integral of the Fourier series, and the Fourier series of the derivative is the termwise derivative of the Fourier series, assuming \sum_{n=0}^{\infty} n (a_n + b_n) converges. All you need is uniform convergence of the series, and that condition turns out to be sufficient. More explicitly, you can use the Weierstrass M-test.
are those an and bn of the original series?

can i quote \sum_{n=0}^{\infty} n (a_n + b_n) as a standard result then as regards the term wise derivative?
Smaug123
  • Study Helper
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Goods)
are those an and bn of the original series?

can i quote \sum_{n=0}^{\infty} n (a_n + b_n) as a standard result then as regards the term wise derivative?
It is, yes. You probably want to say "by the Weierstrass M-test" or something just to dress it up a bit.
TeeEm
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Goods)

I have not done highly analytical stuff on fourier but I can tell you that

|x| differentiates to signum(x)
|x| integrates to 1/2 x2 signum(x)

both can be written as piecewise continuous functions.

the only thing you have to be careful is creating an a0 term when performing these operations, which does not apply to this example as |x| is even
DFranklin
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Smaug123)
More explicitly, you can use the Weierstrass M-test.
Not sure how the M-test works here, the obvious choice for M_n is O(1/n) and then \sum M_n diverges.

Edit: in fact, I don't think the M-test *can* work here. If it does, then the sum converges uniformly, and so the result is continuous. But the derivative of |x| is not continuous...
Smaug123
  • Study Helper
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by DFranklin)
Not sure how the M-test works here, the obvious choice for M_n is O(1/n) and then \sum M_n diverges.

Edit: in fact, I don't think the M-test *can* work here. If it does, then the sum converges uniformly, and so the result is continuous. But the derivative of |x| is not continuous...
Ah. Curses.
DFranklin
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
FWIW, from wording of the question I don't think proof is required. There is actually a relevant theorem: given a continuous and piecewise-smooth function f, differentiating the Fourier series for f gives the correct Fourier series for f', but I think the proof is quite technical.
Goods
Rep:
?
(Original post by DFranklin)
FWIW, from wording of the question I don't think proof is required. There is actually a relevant theorem: given a continuous and piecewise-smooth function f, differentiating the Fourier series for f gives the correct Fourier series for f', but I think the proof is quite technical.
is |x| continuous and piecewise-smooth? and what are the criteria for it to be so?
DFranklin
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Goods)
is |x| continuous and piecewise-smooth? and what are the criteria for it to be so?
Google is your friend.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Cardiff Metropolitan University
    Undergraduate Open Day - Llandaff Campus Undergraduate
    Sat, 19 Oct '19
  • Coventry University
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 19 Oct '19
  • University of Birmingham
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 19 Oct '19

Why wouldn't you turn to teachers if you were being bullied?

They might tell my parents (23)
6.74%
They might tell the bully (33)
9.68%
I don't think they'd understand (52)
15.25%
It might lead to more bullying (131)
38.42%
There's nothing they could do (102)
29.91%

Watched Threads