Can my parents stop me going university? Watch

Verm-llion
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
I need them to provide details to student finance to get a loan. They refuse as debt with interest is against Islam, their religion. I am an atheist. This is despite the fact that in practice the 'debt' functions as an effective 'graduate tax'.

I live on a ****ty mattress in the dining room, and my brother sleeps on the couch. I am willing to do anything to go to university and get an education, and to sacrifice everything. Even if it means sleeping on the streets. The minimum £5500 loan isn't even enough to pay for the rent of a shared room in London. I will receive no grant despite the fact that six of us live under one roof on around £24'000 in combined income per year. I don't know the details.

If I do take the loan, I will be kicked out of the house. I will not be eligible for benefits of any kind.

Is there any possible way for me to prove my parents income and my situation without them signing any papers? Am I well and truly ****ed as far as an education goes?
Reue
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Verm-llion)
I need them to provide details to student finance to get a loan. They refuse as debt with interest is against Islam, their religion. I am an atheist. This is despite the fact that in practice the 'debt' functions as an effective 'graduate tax'.

I live on a ****ty mattress in the dining room, and my brother sleeps on the couch. I am willing to do anything to go to university and get an education, and to sacrifice everything. Even if it means sleeping on the streets. The minimum £5500 loan isn't even enough to pay for the rent of a shared room in London. I will receive no grant despite the fact that six of us live under one roof on around £24'000 in combined income per year. I don't know the details.

If I do take the loan, I will be kicked out of the house. I will not be eligible for benefits of any kind.

Is there any possible way for me to prove my parents income and my situation without them signing any papers? Am I well and truly ****ed as far as an education goes?
I believe there are Islamic groups which offer various loans to cover funding?

Other options would be to go to a cheaper university area or get a part time job to help fund it.
RMIM
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/education...niversity.html
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you made up your mind on your five uni choices?

Yes I know where I'm applying (115)
66.09%
No I haven't decided yet (35)
20.11%
Yes but I might change my mind (24)
13.79%

Watched Threads