My Uni are changing my course whilst I'm studying - what can I do? Watch

jaderee
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
My university have surprised us this week, by informing everyone on my course of the modules we can choose from for Year 2.
These modules are completely different to what are advertised on the university site, and different to what we all signed up for.
Everybody on the course are angry about this, and a few considering leaving as it is not the same course anymore. :mad:
The removed one module that everybody on the course want to study, it makes no sense why they have removed it, especially since they'll be teaching it to people on other courses.
We have all sent essay long emails complaining of the issues with the course, not just this, and the replies we received back just gave excuses, like staffing and expect us to get on with it.
Is there anything we can do as a group to prevent them from changing the course entirely?
PQ
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by jaderee)
My university have surprised us this week, by informing everyone on my course of the modules we can choose from for Year 2.
These modules are completely different to what are advertised on the university site, and different to what we all signed up for.
Everybody on the course are angry about this, and a few considering leaving as it is not the same course anymore. :mad:
The removed one module that everybody on the course want to study, it makes no sense why they have removed it, especially since they'll be teaching it to people on other courses.
We have all sent essay long emails complaining of the issues with the course, not just this, and the replies we received back just gave excuses, like staffing and expect us to get on with it.
Is there anything we can do as a group to prevent them from changing the course entirely?
Talk to your course reps and your student union. They're the best route to get issues taken seriously by the university bureaucracy.

Unfortunately though most universities will have a disclaimer on all publicity stating that course content is subject to change so you might find there isn't much you can do (although if the module is still running it seems a bit odd that you can't take it).
Butterfly92xo
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
What university is this?
jaderee
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
(Original post by Butterfly92xo)
What university is this?
Salford
Butterfly92xo
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by jaderee)
Salford
I would get your student union representatives together and form a group meeting, discussing how you are unhappy with this and also create a petition as well. The only way to go about it is by getting EVERYBODY involved enough to stop it from happening! That doesn't sound like a good predicament at all.
TwoLimes
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
What course is it at Salford?

Best bet is to get onto your students union and student reps if the tutors aren't responding as you'd hoped.
The Empire Odyssey
  • Study Helper
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by PQ)
Talk to your course reps and your student union. They're the best route to get issues taken seriously by the university bureaucracy.

Unfortunately though most universities will have a disclaimer on all publicity stating that course content is subject to change so you might find there isn't much you can do (although if the module is still running it seems a bit odd that you can't take it).
Well there will be a lot cause the OP said, everything is changing which means the original degree that they signed up for, is not the original degree anymore. That is defo not a uni policy to completely change the degree and expect people to get on with it.
username457532
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by The Empire Odyssey)
Well there will be a lot cause the OP said, everything is changing which means the original degree that they signed up for, is not the original degree anymore. That is defo not a uni policy to completely change the degree and expect people to get on with it.
They are completely within their right to change modules if they have given that disclaimer.

Also, even if the original modules were still running there's no guarantee OP would have got a place on their preferred modules.
The Empire Odyssey
  • Study Helper
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by SmallTownGirl)
They are completely within their right to change modules if they have given that disclaimer.

Also, even if the original modules were still running there's no guarantee OP would have got a place on their preferred modules.
But if they are changing ALL of the modules to make into another degree, then how is that within their right? Changing modules is one thing, changing degrees is another.
username457532
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
But if they are changing ALL of the modules to make into another degree, then how is that within their right? Changing modules is one thing, changing degrees is another.
Presumably the course title is the same as OP hasn't said the uni have changed that. Making it into another degree would be switching the course title from history to French and and changing all the history modules to French ones. But changing the focus of a degree titled 'history' from modern to ancient history is acceptable. If they'd signed up to a degree titled 'modern history' and suddenly all the modules were ancient history they could complain.
PQ
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Universities have in the past closed down degree programmes with students part way through eg http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/education/4105961.stm . Unfortunately there aren't many rights for students in these circumstances. The best bet is to try to work within the university system and threaten bad publicity.
The Empire Odyssey
  • Study Helper
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by PQ)
Universities have in the past closed down degree programmes with students part way through eg http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/education/4105961.stm . Unfortunately there aren't many rights for students in these circumstances. The best bet is to try to work within the university system and threaten bad publicity.
That is ridiculous! I never even knew that could happen! Why do Unis neglect their students such as this? I don't understand!

I'm on my uni's student committee so I know things, but if this ever happened at my uni, I'd set it on fire! Paying so much money for so little respect!
DasSnipez
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
As others have said, get together and approach this internally.

Also consider looking to the years above and below yours, see if you can get them on board.

We had a problem with a module being listed but not being taught, after getting people together and essentially threatening to leave en masse we are getting the tutelage we should have been with a few concessions for room improvements.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Surrey
    Postgraduate Open Afternoon Postgraduate
    Wed, 23 Oct '19
  • University of Bristol
    Undergraduate Open Afternoon Undergraduate
    Wed, 23 Oct '19
  • University of Exeter
    Undergraduate Open Day - Penryn Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 23 Oct '19

Would you turn to a teacher if you were being bullied?

Yes (31)
25%
No (93)
75%

Watched Threads