What happens if I don't pay a parking charge? Watch

Treeroy
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
I got a ticket today. I guess the dude must have been bored cause he ticketed every damn car in the car park.

Anyway I have -£9 in my bank with no income. Paying £100 within the next month aint happening.

Will they actually do anything and get me into legal trouble if I don't pay? I am very tempted to just throw the ticket away and forget about it and whatever happens, happens.

Has anyone on here not paid a parking charge? It seems like a lot of effort to take someone to court for such a minor sum of money.

Posted from TSR Mobile
shawn_o1
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Yes they will, it's not their fault you wasted your money and have no job
limetang
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Sums of £100 are what the small claims courts exist for. They can and will take action for this.
Sycamores
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
If you don't pay it they will eventually take you to a small claims court and probably fine you twice the amount.
domonict
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
don't do nothing. The charges can escalate and then you have to prove that they are not reasonable.
doing nothing might ( note the might) mean that they take you to court and impose charges.

write to them and offer whatever one hour's parking would have been as they are only supposed to charge for their losses - not "fine" you.
there are template letters on the web.

if they do take you to court and you have made a reasonable offer then the case may go in your favour.
SirMasterKey
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Why didn't you just pay for parking and thus avoid getting a ticket?
Rorschach II
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Was it justified in the eyes of the law? (Curious.)
Treeroy
Rep:
?
OMG. I was driving home after getting that ticket, stopped to go into a shop, and got ANOTHER ticket! What is wrong with me
I made sure to pay the pay and display machine, even though I was only going in for a few minutes... I leave the shop and I've got a ticket again, the warden was just putting it on my car. I asked him why, and he said that although I had paid for the parking, I needed a permit to park on that section of the road.

(Original post by SirMasterKey)
Why didn't you just pay for parking and thus avoid getting a ticket?
There is no way of paying, it's a car park for some old disused shops that everyone uses to park for the cinema which it's next to. It's one of those "customers only" parking spaces. Which tbh I didn't even know they can charge you for, I don't know how they would prove I wasn't a customer.

I am going to rip the tickets up. If I'm going to pay now then that means getting my parents to fork out £150, and they already have to pay £700 by next week for my girls holiday to greece in the summer. If they find out about this then no holiday for me. And I would much rather get chased down and go to court, than miss out on my holiday. And I will be worrying about this all the time if I don't get rid of them.

(Original post by domonict)
don't do nothing. The charges can escalate and then you have to prove that they are not reasonable.
doing nothing might ( note the might) mean that they take you to court and impose charges.

write to them and offer whatever one hour's parking would have been as they are only supposed to charge for their losses - not "fine" you.
there are template letters on the web.

if they do take you to court and you have made a reasonable offer then the case may go in your favour.
No one is allowed to park in their car park except their customers, there isn't a parking price. Would it still be worth a shot?

(Original post by Sycamores)
If you don't pay it they will eventually take you to a small claims court and probably fine you twice the amount.
Yeah it says in the small print it would be another £60.

Question - do the wardens take a photo of your car? Or is it only the details they write down?

(Original post by shawn_o1)
Yes they will, it's not their fault you wasted your money and have no job
What do you mean wasted my money? Would have been nice if there was a sign in the car park saying they will fine you if you park. And I am a student working for my A-levels, do you really expect me to have a job.
Viva Emptiness
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Is it a council issued ticket or a ticket for parking on private property?
Treeroy
Rep:
?
(Original post by Viva Emptiness)
Is it a council issued ticket or a ticket for parking on private property?
First one is private, my new one is council so I know that will end up in bad things.
Yamcho
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Treeroy)
First one is private, my new one is council so I know that will end up in bad things.
Probably might be able to ignore the first one , the second one you will have to pay though
Treeroy
Rep:
?
(Original post by Yamcho)
Probably might be able to ignore the first one , the second one you will have to pay though
If I pay the second one in 14 days then it's only £25 which isn't too bad. I might be able to convince my parents to loan me £30
Viva Emptiness
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Yamcho)

Agreed.
Treeroy
Rep:
?
I've just ripped the tickets up and threw them away. I can put my mind at ease now.
daryZ
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
How come do you drive a car without any income and you ask parents to pay for your holiday? I smell a big lazy boy here
Treeroy
Rep:
?
(Original post by daryZ)
How come do you drive a car without any income and you ask parents to pay for your holiday? I smell a big lazy boy here
They bought me a car and pay for insurance+petrol because it is cheaper than the bus fare to college, which they would otherwise be paying. It was quite a surprise actually, I woke up a couple weeks after I passed my test and there was a shiny new car on the driveway.

My parents usually pay £1000 on each person in the family each year on holidays. I used to go with them on our normal summer holidays to Australia, America etc. which is way more than a holiday to Greece, so they're saving money really. They bought my brother a £900 skiing holiday at Christmas as a present and said to me they would spend the same on a holiday for me this summer, so they treat us equally.
Reue
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
I've just ripped the tickets up and threw them away. I can put my mind at ease now.
A sound legal strategy
welcometoib
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
They bought me a car and pay for insurance+petrol because it is cheaper than the bus fare to college, which they would otherwise be paying. It was quite a surprise actually, I woke up a couple weeks after I passed my test and there was a shiny new car on the driveway.

My parents usually pay £1000 on each person in the family each year on holidays. I used to go with them on our normal summer holidays to Australia, America etc. which is way more than a holiday to Greece, so they're saving money really. They bought my brother a £900 skiing holiday at Christmas as a present and said to me they would spend the same on a holiday for me this summer, so they treat us equally.
that explains a lot, you sounded exactly like a spoilt entitled lazy teenager in all the threads youve made, try to focus some of the energy you do on taking **** and revise moreso rather than be kicked out of school.
Dez
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
They bought me a car and pay for insurance+petrol because it is cheaper than the bus fare to college
You must have some seriously expensive buses in your town.
Odd socks
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
And I am a student working for my A-levels, do you really expect me to have a job.
plenty of people still at school have jobs. I worked from the age of 15 because I wasn't lucky enough to have parents who could buy me a car and send me on £700 holidays.

You sound rather spoiled, ignoring these tickets is a terrible idea, you should face up to them instead of pretending it hasn't happened
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Why wouldn't you turn to teachers if you were being bullied?

They might tell my parents (11)
5.95%
They might tell the bully (19)
10.27%
I don't think they'd understand (32)
17.3%
It might lead to more bullying (70)
37.84%
There's nothing they could do (53)
28.65%

Watched Threads