I think i am going to fail my BTEC, what do you think? Watch

Alexander01
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
I am struggling in my BTEC extended diploma in IT at the moment. I am in my first year and i don't think i will pass unit 35 interactive graphics. It means to be the easiest unit but i hate using Photoshop. I meant to finish it by this week, but the work is not good enough. I will try and hand it in tomorrow but idk.
yt7777
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
you need to pass all the units to get the qualification, have you looked at Photoshop tutorials online? maybe do that and request an extension?
Alexander01
Rep:
?
(Original post by yt7777)
you need to pass all the units to get the qualification, have you looked at Photoshop tutorials online? maybe do that and request an extension?

I just went to college and handed it to the teacher. I hope i will get a PASS at least, although my website is a bit dodgy. I will not get a resubmission because the work was handed in post deadline. Won't they make me do the work later before the end of the year if the work i handed in is not going to pass?
yt7777
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Im not too sure, in theory if you dont meet all pass criteria by your second submission then you will fail the unit and subsequently the course, but it depends on how lenient your teachers are and whether they are following the new BTEC rules on submissions this year.
Alexander01
Rep:
?
Im not too sure, in theory if you dont meet all pass criteria by your second submission then you will fail the unit and subsequently the course, but it depends on how lenient your teachers are and whether they are following the new BTEC rules on submissions this year.

Unit 30/35 have nothing do to with IT, i don't really know why they put it in there instead of the business units, apparently lots of students like it and find it easy. We are currently redoing unit 2 because the teacher was crap and they are making sure that no one is going to fail because it's a core unit. What grades do you need to get a Distinction overall in the first year?
yt7777
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Alexander01)
Unit 30/35 have nothing do to with IT, i don't really know why they put it in there instead of the business units, apparently lots of students like it and find it easy. We are currently redoing unit 2 because the teacher was crap and they are making sure that no one is going to fail because it's a core unit. What grades do you need to get a Distinction overall in the first year?
I totally agree, I hated the graphics units, I did 30 and 31 (Digital Graphics and Computer Animation).

They should make it core to have more technical content, at least one of the programming units (14, 15 or 16) or a maths based unit 19 or 26 or a technical Networking unit, they are really beneficial.

are you doing the subsidiary diploma?
Alexander01
Rep:
?
I totally agree, I hated the graphics units, I did 30 and 31 (Digital Graphics and Computer Animation).

They should make it core to have more technical content, at least one of the programming units (14, 15 or 16) or a maths based unit 19 or 26 or a technical Networking unit, they are really beneficial.

are you doing the subsidiary diploma?
At the moment yes. I am fine with unit 30, but i somehow messed up unit 35. The first time my teacher marked it, she awarded me a Pass and said i am done, and then 2 weeks later, she comes up to me and says you haven't done this and this. I am like, what was she doing when she first marked it? daydreaming?
yt7777
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Alexander01)
At the moment yes. I am fine with unit 30, but i somehow messed up unit 35. The first time my teacher marked it, she awarded me a Pass and said i am done, and then 2 weeks later, she comes up to me and says you haven't done this and this. I am like, what was she doing when she first marked it? daydreaming?
to get a distinction you need 500 points for the full subsidiary diploma (6 units) and for D* you need a minimum of 530.

Dist = 90 points
Merit = 80
Pass = 70

thats weired, did you get feedback as to what criteria you missed?
Alexander01
Rep:
?
to get a distinction you need 500 points for the full subsidiary diploma (6 units) and for D* you need a minimum of 530.

Dist = 90 points
Merit = 80
Pass = 70

thats weired, did you get feedback as to what criteria you missed?

Yes, i did. I have done what i was asked of but i have missed little bits. The work has not been marked yet by the lead tutor, so i guess i just wait till then.
btectutor
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
As the task is for Pass criteria and you missed the deadline, you lost yoru resubmisson, but you can apply for a Retake.
When this retake takes place is up to your tutor. My students have completed retakes before we have reached the end of the unit being studied. A Retake should be a completely new task, so you will probably have to wait for the Retake assignment to be written and authorised.

I am concered about your comment that you 'messed up Unit 35' and that after marking your work as a pass, your tutor then came back to you and said you hadn't. I would be querying this with the Lead BTEC IV for the college. If your college is complying with the new BTEC assessment rules, you shouldn't have been given feedback as to exactly what was missing, this is no longer allowed.
Alexander01
Rep:
?
(Original post by btectutor)
As the task is for Pass criteria and you missed the deadline, you lost yoru resubmisson, but you can apply for a Retake.
When this retake takes place is up to your tutor. My students have completed retakes before we have reached the end of the unit being studied. A Retake should be a completely new task, so you will probably have to wait for the Retake assignment to be written and authorised.

I am concered about your comment that you 'messed up Unit 35' and that after marking your work as a pass, your tutor then came back to you and said you hadn't. I would be querying this with the Lead BTEC IV for the college. If your college is complying with the new BTEC assessment rules, you shouldn't have been given feedback as to exactly what was missing, this is no longer allowed.
Yeah i know, not all the teachers at my College are complying with the rules. The unit has 3 criterias, P3 M3 and D3. I have passed M3 criteria according to my teacher but i am not sure about P3. Apparently i haven't used enough advanced tools and my graphics don't look professional, which i have do admit is true because i am not proficient in using Photoshop.

My work has not yet been marked by the lead IV. We are working on another unit now, so i don't know what will happen. What exactly does the retake involve?
btectutor
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
A retake involves a new task to be written to cover the Pass criteria you did not meet. As this is a new thing this year, the new task would have to authorised by the lead IV. Personally I have written these as required.
The retake should not resemble the original task, this is quite vague.
Before you are given the retake a deadline has to be agreed, again I find this to be a bit of a vague instruction.
Personally I wouldn't want to be leaving any retakes too close to the end of the course.

You have commented that your 'work has not yet been marked by the lead iv', does this happen with everyone's work, or just those students who haven't passed?
Other_Owl
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
I failed my BTEC 4 Passes and 2 Merits so E overall, now in foundation year at university.
Alexander01
Rep:
?
(Original post by btectutor)
A retake involves a new task to be written to cover the Pass criteria you did not meet. As this is a new thing this year, the new task would have to authorised by the lead IV. Personally I have written these as required.
The retake should not resemble the original task, this is quite vague.
Before you are given the retake a deadline has to be agreed, again I find this to be a bit of a vague instruction.
Personally I wouldn't want to be leaving any retakes too close to the end of the course.

You have commented that your 'work has not yet been marked by the lead iv', does this happen with everyone's work, or just those students who haven't passed?

Yes this applies to all the students mainly because not all the teachers are following the BTEC rules. But it looks like i have passed since my teacher did not hand me any work back, so fingers crossed on that one unit!
cnova
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
At my college I have had or will be doing Unit 14, Unit 30, Unit 26 and apparently some networking units - I haven't done the animation unit yet but the digital graphics one was pointless, everybody already knew how to use Photoshop and used very little Illustrator and as you mentioned, not much technical stuff to it. I'm doing event driven programming, which is quite shocking tbh, stuck using VB6 lmao but it's at least getting people into a logical mindset. What's the animation unit like?
yt7777
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by cnova)
At my college I have had or will be doing Unit 14, Unit 30, Unit 26 and apparently some networking units - I haven't done the animation unit yet but the digital graphics one was pointless, everybody already knew how to use Photoshop and used very little Illustrator and as you mentioned, not much technical stuff to it. I'm doing event driven programming, which is quite shocking tbh, stuck using VB6 lmao but it's at least getting people into a logical mindset. What's the animation unit like?
haha i did VB6 its okay but I dont think it really gets you to understand control structure properly, unit 16 however is quite good, however you could use VB.NET as its pretty much the same syntax and you can create the same projects, just download Visual Studio

yeah Animation isnt great however its can be good for people looking to go into games development or graphics, not for me though

unit 26 is very good, unfortunately i didnt get to do it as part of my course so i self taught some of it, it covers quite a bit of maths that im doing on my degree atm

are you doing unit 19?
cnova
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Yeah, I've already done VB.NET, taught myself the AQA computer Science course over the summer to prepare for this course. I really can't stand the outdated, grey UI of 6 vs VB.NET. Loving some C++ game programming atm though.

Hmm, might be interesting then, I suppose.

Unfortunately I'm not, I managed to persuade my department to pick up unit 26 and unit 32, but they won't do 19, sadly. How helpful is the unit? Know any books or videos that cover similar content?

I've actually got an interview with Cardiff university's Comp Sci department on Friday, might be working on a research project over the summer with them, if successful :P trying to do as much as I can to improve my personal statement and background as I didn't really go to school so it's rather lackluster compared to most of you guys :P
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you made up your mind on your five uni choices?

Yes I know where I'm applying (58)
66.67%
No I haven't decided yet (19)
21.84%
Yes but I might change my mind (10)
11.49%

Watched Threads