cmpunk37jess
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
Hi,

I'm seriously considering signing up for a role in the RAF soon. I am trying to pick which role I would like to follow and have narrowed it down. I know it is a bit of a silly question but will I be the only woman a RAF Halton for basic training. It's just a little more intimidating knowing that I could be the only one?

Thank you,

Jessica
Kop1
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by cmpunk37jess)
Hi,

I'm seriously considering signing up for a role in the RAF soon. I am trying to pick which role I would like to follow and have narrowed it down. I know it is a bit of a silly question but will I be the only woman a RAF Halton for basic training. It's just a little more intimidating knowing that I could be the only one?

Thank you,

Jessica
Hi Jessica,

I extremely doubt it. From my experience so far there are more males than females going through the application process which is fairly standard, however it's pretty impossible to predict. You could get lucky and have a big number of females or the opposite. But if your concerns about this are bothering you now you might need to really consider if it is what you really want to do, as whatever branch you are in you will always likely be in the company of more males than females.

It's worth noting, I would expect every recruit to be respectful and supportive of every colleague regardless of sex.

Would you really avoid joining for something you want to just for the fact you are in the company of more men when you train?
andym90
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
At my PRTC there were about 20 females and 60 males, it isn't just guys that join the RAF!
jannisjr
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
I was at Cranwell this weekend and there was at least 30% females going through the various processes.

It would be incredibly unlikely that you would be the only female, however, even if that was the case, the RAF has incredibly strict gender equality reg's and certainly the percentages would even out after your basic training.
Drewski
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
RAF has the highest percentage of women of any of the armed forces. You won't be on your own.
cmpunk37jess
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
(Original post by Drewski)
RAF has the highest percentage of women of any of the armed forces. You won't be on your own.
Thank you so much!! I really want to do it, I just wanted a little more information thats all! Im just a bit nervous thats all, but I guess everyone is. Thank you
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you made up your mind on your five uni choices?

Yes I know where I'm applying (115)
66.09%
No I haven't decided yet (35)
20.11%
Yes but I might change my mind (24)
13.79%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed