Mental illness and gender Watch

Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
Psychiatric disorders of any kind can affect anyone at any time, obviously, but which disorders are: a) strongly associated with females, b) slightly associated with females more than males, c) gender neutral, d) slightly more associated with males, and e) strongly associated with males?
Sabertooth
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
a) borderline personality disorder
e) antisocial personality disorder
Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
a) borderline and histrionic personality disorders, bulimia and anorexia nervosa, deliberate self-harm
b) depression and anxiety, swinging bipolar (primarily depressed)
c) OCD
d) Bipolar I disorder/full-fledged mania, AD(H)D
e) schizophrenia (especially the paranoid subset), conduct disorder, narcissistic and anti-social (psycopathic) personality disorders, substance abuse
Walt_14
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Bulimia and anorexia have a very strong association with females, but other than that I don't think there is any gender difference. Depression and anxiety are probably more associated with women (mild neurotic conditions), whilst more severe disorders (severe bipolar/schizophrenia) are more associated with men I'd imagine. And obviously there's a very strong male excess of psychopathy and addiction issues.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How has the start of this academic year been for you?

Loving it - gonna be a great year (114)
17.73%
It's just nice to be back! (177)
27.53%
Not great so far... (229)
35.61%
I want to drop out! (123)
19.13%

Watched Threads