Been offered two fully-funded phd studentships - which one do I take??? Watch

Susan-Geddes
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
***Thank you. I appreciate your help and advice.***
**Also sorry I had to type this thank you message in here, but I'm using my phone and it won't let me type out a 'normal' reply box lol. Thank you so much again everyone.

Hi guys

I applied for a few fully-funded PhDs around Christmas time and attended two PhD interviews just after New Year and I've been offered both of them.

I just cannot decide what to do!! Here's my dilemma.

I'm really so confused as what to do. Please help!! I would appreciate any advice over this as I've literally not slept in weeks thinking about this and going over it in my head. So anyone's help, input and advice would be sincerely appreciated.

Thank you very much in advance
Klix88
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Think back to when you applied. If they were always just boring or difficult to get to, then you wouldn't have bothered applying for either. Try to remember what drew you to them in the first place. There must have been other factors.

TBH, neither sounds that great. If you're bored with the topic before you start, it will only get worse. I was fascinated by mine and I was ready to scream after eighteen months. And the Glasgow one simply doesn't sound feasible if you have to be on campus so often, the commute really is that difficult/expensive and you cant rent somewhere nearer.

Why *did* you bother applying for them, as a matter of interest?
Susan-Geddes
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
Hi

Because at the time I was in a position to move to Glasgow City. I'm no longer in that position due to a family member being very ill and I cannot move that sort of distance away from them.

And, I applied for the 'boring' PhD because at the time it looked different and interesting and so I put in an application. Then subsequent to that I put in an application to Glasgow and so in comparison to the Glasgow one it then became very boring and dull in comparison.
Snikle
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
You have to do this PhD for three years... Do you really want to spend that time doing something that you think you dont enjoy? Best case? You find that you love the topic at Edinburgh and everything is jim dandy. Worst case? You hate it and you end up writing a mediocre thesis because your heart isn't in it. Or you drop out.. in which case they'd probably make you pay back the money from the scholarship.

Personally, I wouldn't be able to do it - I struggled enough with my undergrad dissertation and that was only a few months/10,000 words! I can't imagine trying to put my soul into a topic like that for such an extended period of time, and for such a long project.

If you it's boring now, how will you feel in a year or two when your struggling for word count with no motivation to extend it?

I'm sorry about your personal circumstances.. but I hope that that doesn't affect what is a major life decision for you.

Is there any way that you can postpone it for a year?
Or could the topic be moulded and twisted to make it more fun?
Or is there a way that Glasgow could assist in managing your travel/lack of it (eg allowing you to travel only once a week)?

I would send an email to Glasgow to discuss your family situation and see if they have any advice. They've offered a scholarship so hopefully they want you enough to try to help you.
Floob
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
I don't know your situation so what I'm about to suggest may be completely unfeasible.

With the amount of money and time you'd be spending travelling to/from Glasgow in mind, could you rent a room in Glasgow and then spend your time between home and Glasgow? You'd be able to get that 2-3 day week in in one go and wouldn't necessarily be any worse off. I'm only paying £200 a month in rent and stay a 20 min walk from the main campus. That, even with the travel should be possible on a basic stipend.

From what I can tell (people I know doing PhDs here) the basic Glasgow University post-grad training courses don't take up much time to get through and are pretty flexible. Individual funders/departments might have more stringent training requirements though (some of the DTPs for example).
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Surrey
    Postgraduate Open Afternoon Postgraduate
    Wed, 23 Oct '19
  • University of Bristol
    Undergraduate Open Afternoon Undergraduate
    Wed, 23 Oct '19
  • University of Exeter
    Undergraduate Open Day - Penryn Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 23 Oct '19

Would you turn to a teacher if you were being bullied?

Yes (33)
25%
No (99)
75%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed