AnxiousAtypical
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
I'm 20 years old unemployed with aspergers and currently taking as gap year applying for universities. I only applied for 3 unis in the Birmingham area because that's where I'm living to study Photography. Coventry rejected my application straight away before I even had chance for an interview, BCU rejected me after my portfolio interview. Both Coventry and BCU requires a DMM which I actially got overall in my BTEC level 3 in Photography.

Yesterday I had an interview with Wolverhampton uni showing them just my portfolio of 20 images but they didn't offer me a place on the Photography that actually required a MMP but I got a DMM but however the uni offered me a alternate course Art and Design with Foundation Year.

My question is what does Foundation year mean? Is it worth actually doing? What's it benefits? Are foundation courses at uni common? Is it a good thing or bad thing I've been offered to do foundation course? I don't think its so too good it makes me feel like I'm thick.
InArduisFouette
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
they may feel that you do not have enough of a background in art outside photography , hence the reason they want you to do some more borad based foundation studies ...
AnxiousAtypical
Rep:
?
That's what I thought everyone says that.
cmaudholmes
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by jamierobinson94)
I'm 20 years old unemployed with aspergers and currently taking as gap year applying for universities. I only applied for 3 unis in the Birmingham area because that's where I'm living to study Photography. Coventry rejected my application straight away before I even had chance for an interview, BCU rejected me after my portfolio interview. Both Coventry and BCU requires a DMM which I actially got overall in my BTEC level 3 in Photography.

Yesterday I had an interview with Wolverhampton uni showing them just my portfolio of 20 images but they didn't offer me a place on the Photography that actually required a MMP but I got a DMM but however the uni offered me a alternate course Art and Design with Foundation Year.

My question is what does Foundation year mean? Is it worth actually doing? What's it benefits? Are foundation courses at uni common? Is it a good thing or bad thing I've been offered to do foundation course? I don't think its so too good it makes me feel like I'm thick.
Doing a Foundation Year is a good idea if you're not sure what degree course you want to take. It gives you the opportunity to try out loads of different techniques and practices that you haven't had the opportunity to try before. Its also a good thing to do as it builds up your portfolio and gives you lots more work to show potential universities at interviews. Some universities prefer students who have taken a foundation year, others don't mind.
It definitely doesn't make you thick!! I would definitely take them up on the Foundation!
AnxiousAtypical
Rep:
?
Thank you very much for the nice answer. I really appreciate it so you're telling me it's worth doing it?
cmaudholmes
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by jamierobinson94)
Thank you very much for the nice answer. I really appreciate it so you're telling me it's worth doing it?
Thats okay, you're welcome!
I reckon its definitely worth doing it. I haven't done one myself but applied to do BA Fine Art, if i didn't get into my favourite university, i would've done a foundation and then reapplied next year after completing it!
Loads of people do them, I just found that I new exactly what course it was i wanted to do and had loads of support when putting together my portfolio.
Good luck with everything!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• The University of Law
    The Bar Series: Applications and Interviews - London Bloomsbury campus Postgraduate
    Thu, 17 Oct '19
  • Cardiff Metropolitan University
    Undergraduate Open Day - Llandaff Campus Undergraduate
    Sat, 19 Oct '19
  • Coventry University
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 19 Oct '19

Why wouldn't you turn to teachers if you were being bullied?

They might tell my parents (11)
6.15%
They might tell the bully (18)
10.06%
I don't think they'd understand (30)
16.76%
It might lead to more bullying (69)
38.55%
There's nothing they could do (51)
28.49%

Watched Threads