The Student Room Group

20 year old autistic student taking a gap year

I'm 20 years old unemployed with aspergers and currently taking as gap year applying for universities. I only applied for 3 unis in the Birmingham area because that's where I'm living to study Photography. Coventry rejected my application straight away before I even had chance for an interview, BCU rejected me after my portfolio interview. Both Coventry and BCU requires a DMM which I actially got overall in my BTEC level 3 in Photography.

Yesterday I had an interview with Wolverhampton uni showing them just my portfolio of 20 images but they didn't offer me a place on the Photography that actually required a MMP but I got a DMM but however the uni offered me a alternate course Art and Design with Foundation Year.

My question is what does Foundation year mean? Is it worth actually doing? What's it benefits? Are foundation courses at uni common? Is it a good thing or bad thing I've been offered to do foundation course? I don't think its so too good it makes me feel like I'm thick.
Foundation year is an extra year. Usually for those who didon't quite get the grades to go on to the degree programme.
Original post by jamierobinson94
I'm 20 years old unemployed with aspergers and currently taking as gap year applying for universities. I only applied for 3 unis in the Birmingham area because that's where I'm living to study Photography. Coventry rejected my application straight away before I even had chance for an interview, BCU rejected me after my portfolio interview. Both Coventry and BCU requires a DMM which I actially got overall in my BTEC level 3 in Photography.

Yesterday I had an interview with Wolverhampton uni showing them just my portfolio of 20 images but they didn't offer me a place on the Photography that actually required a MMP but I got a DMM but however the uni offered me a alternate course Art and Design with Foundation Year.

My question is what does Foundation year mean? Is it worth actually doing? What's it benefits? Are foundation courses at uni common? Is it a good thing or bad thing I've been offered to do foundation course? I don't think its so too good it makes me feel like I'm thick.

A foundation year is a course to take just before university (after you do Alevels) to experiment and/or get used to working at university level. It can help you build up your portfolio and give you a better understanding overall of art and design. They are common and a popular place to do it is at UAL.

I would reccomend it but since youre over 19 years old, you may have to pay about £3000 tuition fees (under 19s are free). If youre on a state benefit like ESA or DLA you might be able to take the course for free at somewhere like Kingston College.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by OU Student
Foundation year is an extra year. Usually for those who didon't quite get the grades to go on to the degree programme.

I got the grades. Read the question properly before replying
I got the grades. Read the question properly before replying

The fact you got the grades doesn't change the fact that foundation years are usually for people who didn't meet the grades. That said, foundation years are very common before art degrees.
Original post by wsxcde
yeah a foundation year is usually for someone who doesnt have grades to get onto a uni course, it's an extra year maybe you could think of it as fast-track college doing it all in a year before starting the degree. That you got DMM and the course only required MMP, but they still rejected you and offered you an alternative course with a foudation year seems bad, obviously that decision is wrong if just based on the grades, so my only reasoning is that maybe they thought that you were much worse than DMM when they actually interviewed you. With DMM though I dont know if a foundation year would be a complete waste of your time, maybe they are even being prejudiced because of your diagnosis and assuming you need a foundation year when you dont, I dont know. Maybe you should apply to different universities I'm not sure.

It's more likely that they thought although OP has the grades that their skills just aren't developed enough yet. OP mentioned bringing 20 photos - I'm not expert but I wouldn't have thought that was enough to show a range of techniques.
Original post by wsxcde
yeah a foundation year is usually for someone who doesnt have grades to get onto a uni course, it's an extra year maybe you could think of it as fast-track college doing it all in a year before starting the degree. That you got DMM and the course only required MMP, but they still rejected you and offered you an alternative course with a foudation year seems bad, obviously that decision is wrong if just based on the grades, so my only reasoning is that maybe they thought that you were much worse than DMM when they actually interviewed you. With DMM though I dont know if a foundation year would be a complete waste of your time, maybe they are even being prejudiced because of your diagnosis and assuming you need a foundation year when you dont, I dont know. Maybe you should apply to different universities I'm not sure.

Yeah my mum said something it could to with the fact I'm autistic and bipolar but you know that it's against law for unis to discriminate or take the advantage of out people with disabilities/mental health problems. I have until May to accept their offer so it gives me a lot of time. There's a college about 8 miles away from where I live that does HND in Photogrpahy.
Yeah my mum said something it could to with the fact I'm autistic and bipolar but you know that it's against law for unis to discriminate or take the advantage of out people with disabilities/mental health problems. I have until May to accept their offer so it gives me a lot of time. There's a college about 8 miles away from where I live that does HND in Photogrpahy.

Yeah I mean you got the grades so either maybe your interview and portfolio werent so impressive so despite your grades they wanted to put you on a foundation course, or they were discriminating. They are the only two reasons I can think of. Have you been able to compare your portfolio to other peoples as well? Maybe you can ask people applying for the same course what theirs are like or find examples online.

The admissions team won't know about your diagnoses so unless you told them or it was obvious during the interview they can't have discriminated.
Have you even asked why you've been put on the foundation course before jumping to the conclusion of some tiny chance of discrmination?
Original post by OU Student

art foundation years are completely different, it is normal for most art students to take one first to develop their portfolio

Quick Reply

Latest