08rgill
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
Hello everyone!

I've got two offers for Medicine: Leeds and Durham. I don't know which one to choose because I really like them both! So I just please want some opinions and advice in order to help me make the right decision!

Thanks!

PS. After two years at Durham Medical School, you have to go to Newcastle University Medical School where you will graduate which some may see as a positive whilst some may see that as a downside!
Blatant Troll
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
How do the courses compare (lectures/PBL, early clinical contact, year size, BSc opportunities etc.)?

If they're pretty similar, then really it comes down to where you'd like to live for 5-6 years. Did you like Queen's Campus and do you mind being in Stockton for the first 2 years? Likewise do you like Leeds as a city, and would you rather be jollying around West Yorkshire vs. Tyneside after the pre-clinical years?
08rgill
Rep:
?
(Original post by Blatant Troll)
How do the courses compare (lectures/PBL, early clinical contact, year size, BSc opportunities etc.)?

If they're pretty similar, then really it comes down to where you'd like to live for 5-6 years. Did you like Queen's Campus and do you mind being in Stockton for the first 2 years? Likewise do you like Leeds as a city, and would you rather be jollying around West Yorkshire vs. Tyneside after the pre-clinical years?
Thanks! I think I'm going to try and mentally ask these to myself and see which one suits me best! Also, do you think it will be hard when transitioning from Durham to Newcastle?
Blatant Troll
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
I think that's the way to go! Otherwise you'll get people selling it either way, which isn't all that useful.

Your last question is a fair one: that doesn't seem to be a problem (in my n=1, second-hand experience). It seems to be more of a problem for the Newcastle students coming the other way for the year.
Blorcyn
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
I'm a fourth year who just transitioned this year. I think it's very easy to go from Stockton to Newcastle, it's the other way round that's hard (they aren't involved with Durham, they don't have the societies down there etc.)

Getting involved with everything in Newcastle Uni is really easy, and in my opinion all the newcastlers have been really friendly. Newcastle itself is a bit more expensive and the first few weeks we all had very poor impulse control but it's ok. It's fun to have somewhere to explore again after a few years, and the move was one of the things that attracted me to Durham/Newcastle.
08rgill
Rep:
?
(Original post by Blorcyn)
I'm a fourth year who just transitioned this year. I think it's very easy to go from Stockton to Newcastle, it's the other way round that's hard (they aren't involved with Durham, they don't have the societies down there etc.)

Getting involved with everything in Newcastle Uni is really easy, and in my opinion all the newcastlers have been really friendly. Newcastle itself is a bit more expensive and the first few weeks we all had very poor impulse control but it's ok. It's fun to have somewhere to explore again after a few years, and the move was one of the things that attracted me to Durham/Newcastle.
Hey! Thanks for your reply! I suppose it depends if you're the kind of person who would like the change and a different environment. Also, which college were you in? Snow or Stevenson?
Blorcyn
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by 08rgill)
Hey! Thanks for your reply! I suppose it depends if you're the kind of person who would like the change and a different environment. Also, which college were you in? Snow or Stevenson?
No problem. Stevenson. Pm me if you have any more questions specifically, I'll try not to over-sell it.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• The University of Law
    The Bar Series: Applications and Interviews - London Bloomsbury campus Postgraduate
    Thu, 17 Oct '19
  • Cardiff Metropolitan University
    Undergraduate Open Day - Llandaff Campus Undergraduate
    Sat, 19 Oct '19
  • Coventry University
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 19 Oct '19

How has the start of this academic year been for you?

Loving it - gonna be a great year (140)
17.83%
It's just nice to be back! (212)
27.01%
Not great so far... (281)
35.8%
I want to drop out! (152)
19.36%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed