The Student Room Group

Befriending lonely girl with depression.

This is going to sound quite convoluted but I am in the first year of university and my sisters friends younger sister, is in the same university. My sister has asked me to keep a look out for her friends younger sister who suffers from depression and anorexia (ever since her father passed away from what I gather) for instance if she is looking a bit thin or upset, I should let people know and comfort her myself. I have agreed to it, I have never had depression or anorexia, so I am a bit nervous. The girl in question has been asked whether she would like me to look out for her and she has said 'yes!'.

It is an immensely dysfunctional situation but I will do my best. Advice would be great.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 1
I have not really met the girl that much but from what I have heard she is lovable and cuddly but has inner demons in the form of depression.
Just Be there and be nice and sympathetic, that's all you can do really . You'll never be able to cure her ailments but you can be a shoulder to cry on and that's more helpful then you might think
Original post by auctoritate
This is going to sound quite convoluted but I am in the first year of university and my sisters friends younger sister, is in the same university. My sister has asked me to keep a look out for her friends younger sister who suffers from depression and anorexia (ever since her father passed away from what I gather) for instance if she is looking a bit thin or upset, I should let people know and comfort her myself. I have agreed to it, I have never had depression or anorexia, so I am a bit nervous. The girl in question has been asked whether she would like me to look out for her and she has said 'yes!'.

It is an immensely dysfunctional situation but I will do my best. Advice would be great.

I wouldn't have any advice as I haven't been in any similar situation. But I just wanted to commend you, for looking out for some one who is vulnerable. :smile:
Reply 4
Original post by ssupernova
Just Be there and be nice and sympathetic, that's all you can do really . You'll never be able to cure her ailments but you can be a shoulder to cry on and that's more helpful then you might think

Ok. In regards to the anorexia, my concern is, if she does not eat properly and I inform her family and my sisters friend, I do not want her to think I am betraying her. I want to look out for her but I do not want her to think I am being mean or nasty by 'telling' on her.
Reply 5
Original post by SausageMan
I wouldn't have any advice as I haven't been in any similar situation. But I just wanted to commend you, for looking out for some one who is vulnerable. :smile:

Thank you! I will probably do a really awful job of it but I am going to try and do my best.
I've dealt a lot with friends with depression and eating disorders and all you can really do is talk to her, check on her and b y that I mean just ask her how she's been, how university is and how she's coping; don't make it obvious that you are checking up on her as she could find this distressing, but you should make your self available to talk to, and confide in. It will seriously help her and comfort her knowing that she isn't alone and that someone cares.
But if you do see a massive decline in her mental stability then don't be afraid to tell someone, you are only trying to care for her, you aren't betraying her trust and you aren't going to hurt her.

Hope this helps

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending