letsdothetimewarpagain
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
So I'm part way through my level one modules, am planing on studying at full time equiv. so three years.

I am doing a Bsc Mathematics and want to go on to teaching. Will I stand a chance of getting onto a PGCE with an open uni Bsc?

Am going to approach getting lots of experience and shadowing etc. but if I am ineligable will focus on another route!
123ab
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
You should be able to. I can't see why not.
laura.a.c265
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by letsdothetimewarpagain)
So I'm part way through my level one modules, am planing on studying at full time equiv. so three years.

I am doing a Bsc Mathematics and want to go on to teaching. Will I stand a chance of getting onto a PGCE with an open uni Bsc?

Am going to approach getting lots of experience and shadowing etc. but if I am ineligable will focus on another route!
Yes easily as long as you have 50% or more of your modules in the subject you want to teach. I have a BA (Hons) Open and I got onto Teach First and a PGCE which I start in September. I studied with someone who has already qualified as a primary teacher, someone who is about to finish their PGCE and four of us start in September.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Mr M
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by letsdothetimewarpagain)

Long time no see.

There is nothing wrong with an Open University degree. As a mathematics graduate, you will EASILY be able to get into teaching.
SarahLou0385
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
I'm just finishing my last OU level three module for my degree, and I've got an offer for a Maths PGCE in Bristol in September - where you get your getter matters less than how well you do in it :-) x

Minds are like parachutes - they work best when open!
Airfairy
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Yep, we have OU graduates on our course.
laura.a.c265
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Airfairy)
Yep, we have OU graduates on our course.
Where are you doing your PGCE?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Airfairy
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by laura.a.c265)
Where are you doing your PGCE?

Posted from TSR Mobile
University of Cumbria
laura.a.c265
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
University of Cumbria
I did the Student Associate Scheme there in 2011 for RE, had a lovely lecturer, he was brilliant!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Airfairy
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
I did the Student Associate Scheme there in 2011 for RE, had a lovely lecturer, he was brilliant!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Oh, awesome. I'm doing an R.E. PGCE at the moment. I bet you had Dave. He is amazing, I love him.
laura.a.c265
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Oh, awesome. I'm doing an R.E. PGCE at the moment. I bet you had Dave. He is amazing, I love him.
Dave Mc? Yeah he was really awesome, we did 2 days of uni and 15 in school. I'd have done my PGCE there but you couldn't do it at Carlisle campus.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Airfairy
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Dave Mc? Yeah he was really awesome, we did 2 days of uni and 15 in school. I'd have done my PGCE there but you couldn't do it at Carlisle campus.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Yeah him. He is great. I've never heard of the student associate scheme. Shame it's only in Lancaster campus. I am enjoying the uni, no regrets there.
laura.a.c265
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Yeah him. He is great. I've never heard of the student associate scheme. Shame it's only in Lancaster campus. I am enjoying the uni, no regrets there.
It only ran till 2011, it was to give you experience of what a PGCE is like. You got a £600 bursary and filled in a reflective journal and got a report from your school mentor to help you apply for a PGCE. Shame they stopped it, I liked the school I was at so much I volunteered in the RE dept once a week for 18 months after I finished the S.A.S!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Airfairy
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
It only ran till 2011, it was to give you experience of what a PGCE is like. You got a £600 bursary and filled in a reflective journal and got a report from your school mentor to help you apply for a PGCE. Shame they stopped it, I liked the school I was at so much I volunteered in the RE dept once a week for 18 months after I finished the S.A.S!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Sounds like a great idea! Shame it was stopped but not exactly surprising these days either...

Posted from TSR Mobile
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you made up your mind on your five uni choices?

Yes I know where I'm applying (138)
61.06%
No I haven't decided yet (50)
22.12%
Yes but I might change my mind (38)
16.81%

Watched Threads