My tutor has declined requesrt for extension, ignoring my assessment of needs Watch

xeryus
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
Hi, I am writing in the hope that someone will tell me what to say at uni tomorrow to my tutor - who sent me an email today telling me,
"we do not give extensions therefore you might consider the PMC route." A very curt email, considering my email to her was very explanatory and must have taken a few minutes to read - it certainly took me a few to write. I am astounded as she has seen my "needs assessment" which states that I need flexibility on submission dates. I was told by the assessor it was a legal document and must be respected by colleges. I have an exam tomorrow in a different module and I feel stressed by this tutor and have a feeling I'll end up arguing. Any suggestions appreciated.
NJones
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
This is a regular occurrence, as the assessment can only make recommendations, they don't have to be carried out. It depends on your university's policy as to whether they see extensions to deadlines as a reasonable adjustment.
username457532
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Also, I don't know if this happens everywhere but Sussex has two dates - the deadline and the 'Final Submission Opportunity' after which no further work can be handed in. Without an extension the amount of marks lost for handing in after the deadline increased up to the Final Submission Opportunity but the length of time between the two dates varied from none to several weeks.

It may also be that they expect you to have reasonable adjustments in place that prevent to need to extend deadlines.
penguinsocks
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
This seems unlikely but is there any loophole you're missing? At my university one department doesn't give extensions but can waive all late penalties when all the coursework is moderated at the end of term (which often works out better than an extension which you'll still be penalised for exceeding) - is there anything like that? If you don't mind me asking what's your disability? Is there a disability coordinator who should do all this for you? Where I am we have a disability guy who liaises on your behalf with the tutors and whenever I need an extension I email them saying "I can't finish X on time and need until Y to complete it" with no explanation, Cc him in and I'm not sure whether he just backs me up and they take his word for it without ever knowing what the reason is or whether he explains it to them and they exercise their discretion but I'm pretty sure it's the former. Anyway, it makes the whole thing less uncomfortable and saves me from having to rely on the tutors to decide what does and doesn't constitute a disability which to be honest isn't their job and shouldn't be up to them anyway.
Tiger Rag
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
You need to ask why they won't grant an extension. I know that OU generally do. But they won't give you an extension on the last tutor marked assignment because it interferes with the revision for the exam / final assignment.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of East Anglia
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sun, 20 Oct '19
  • University for the Creative Arts
    Sun, 20 Oct '19
  • University of Gloucestershire
    Sun, 20 Oct '19

Have you made up your mind on your five uni choices?

Yes I know where I'm applying (67)
66.34%
No I haven't decided yet (21)
20.79%
Yes but I might change my mind (13)
12.87%

Watched Threads