Jemma17
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
Can anyone tell me what the best colleges are for studying Geography at Cambridge?
Lucilou101
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
There's no such thing as a 'best' college for any subject. The teaching standard will be the same at all.

Instead look at the colleges and use things like size, location, accommodation costs or just the general feel to help you come to a decision
Jemma17
Rep:
?
Was just wondering whether any had a particularly good reputation for geography etc
Doones
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Looking at the 2014 & 2013 stats, Fitz seems to be the most popular (has the most acceptances)
http://www.undergraduate.study.cam.a...ply/statistics

http://www.fitz.cam.ac.uk/academic/courses/geography

Posted from TSR Mobile
BWCW
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
There is no 'best' really - Downing is the closest to the department, Fitz seems to consistently have the most geographers (they have 10 first years this year!), but apart from that, none of them have anything particularly notable. Teaching and exams are pretty much either university or department based, so while supervisions are held within college, topics are set by the department.

Try and choose the college that appeals most to you based on its own features, not its link to the subject - it is where you'll be living full time, after all!
username1865079
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Academically there’s not much difference between colleges, whatever the subject/course you are in, as you go to the department for the lectures and supervisions from the second year onward are with relevant supervisors depending upon your course, not your college.
However, some colleges do have a strong tradition in Geography with more number of DoS and students than others; like St.Catharine’s and Fitzwilliam. This may make your life easier as the college library have better stock of geography related books. Yes, the department itself has very good library and you can use University Library, too, but it IS handy if you can get necessary books in your college, not only handy logistically (College libraries are often open 24/7 while the departments’ & UL are not) but also (because sometimes many of your fellow students need a same book at the same time for the course) it’s easier to co-operate with your college fellow geographer to use the same book in turn.
Fitzwilliam is the only college that has its own Geography Society which seems to be a great community, not only academically but also socially. I happened to know several geographers in three different colleges in the same year, but Fitz’s geographers’ community really seem to be quite unique and they seem to enjoy and thrive in the friendly atmosphere, so do their DoS.

http://www.fitz.cam.ac.uk/mi-client/.../Geography.pdf

They regularly produce solid number of students with a First every year, though this may not too surprising as they do have more number of Geography students than other colleges!
Unfortunately, I personally don’t know any Catz geographer, so I can’t give you any info regarding what it’s like in the other big Geography college.
But ultimately it’s up to you if you want a college with more number of fellow geographers or you’d rather be one of few.
Jemma17
Rep:
?
(Original post by vincrows)
Academically there’s not much difference between colleges, whatever the subject/course you are in, as you go to the department for the lectures and supervisions from the second year onward are with relevant supervisors depending upon your course, not your college.
However, some colleges do have a strong tradition in Geography with more number of DoS and students than others; like St.Catharine’s and Fitzwilliam. This may make your life easier as the college library have better stock of geography related books. Yes, the department itself has very good library and you can use University Library, too, but it IS handy if you can get necessary books in your college, not only handy logistically (College libraries are often open 24/7 while the departments’ & UL are not) but also (because sometimes many of your fellow students need a same book at the same time for the course) it’s easier to co-operate with your college fellow geographer to use the same book in turn.
Fitzwilliam is the only college that has its own Geography Society which seems to be a great community, not only academically but also socially. I happened to know several geographers in three different colleges in the same year, but Fitz’s geographers’ community really seem to be quite unique and they seem to enjoy and thrive in the friendly atmosphere, so do their DoS.

http://www.fitz.cam.ac.uk/mi-client/.../Geography.pdf

They regularly produce solid number of students with a First every year, though this may not too surprising as they do have more number of Geography students than other colleges!
Unfortunately, I personally don’t know any Catz geographer, so I can’t give you any info regarding what it’s like in the other big Geography college.
But ultimately it’s up to you if you want a college with more number of fellow geographers or you’d rather be one of few.
Thank you this was really helpful!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Cambridge
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Thu, 2 Jul '20
  • University of Cambridge
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 3 Jul '20

Have you made up your mind on your five uni choices?

Yes I know where I'm applying (150)
59.52%
No I haven't decided yet (57)
22.62%
Yes but I might change my mind (45)
17.86%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed