Learning to play the piano Watch

Hectors
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
I am 19 and i would like to learn to play the piano as the one in my living room is getting dusty.
Next year I'll be taking a gap year and I'd like to do something useful with my time, so I'd like to know:
1) What's the best resource to learn to play the piano?
2) Should I bother with tuition or is self teaching enough?
3) do you think I'm wasting my time trying to learn to play such a difficult instrument?
It's_Ailie
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
If you already have some musical knowledge you could try to teach yourself but getting tuition is your best bet. I started trying to teach myself piano (after years of playing keyboard) but I progressed much faster once starting lessons

Posted from TSR Mobile
kkboyk
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Hectors)
I am 19 and i would like to learn to play the piano as the one in my living room is getting dusty.
Next year I'll be taking a gap year and I'd like to do something useful with my time, so I'd like to know:
1) What's the best resource to learn to play the piano?
2) Should I bother with tuition or is self teaching enough?
3) do you think I'm wasting my time trying to learn to play such a difficult instrument?
2 and 3 are solely up to you to think about. As for one you can teach yourself using YouTube tutorials and many long hours of practice. It depends on the type if learner you are.
Hectors
Rep:
?
(Original post by It's_Ailie)
If you already have some musical knowledge you could try to teach yourself but getting tuition is your best bet. I started trying to teach myself piano (after years of playing keyboard) but I progressed much faster once starting lessons

Posted from TSR Mobile

This is as far as my musical knowledge goes, and it was 5 years ago that i last touched this.

(Original post by kkboyk)
2 and 3 are solely up to you to think about. As for one you can teach yourself using YouTube tutorials and many long hours of practice. It depends on the type if learner you are.
Do you play the piano?
Attached files
kkboyk
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago

Do you play the piano?
I taught myself for a few weeks, but then I got bored. One of my friends is pretty much a God of piano, she has a one hour tutorial per week and spend at least 20mins everyday practicing and viewing youtube tutorials.
Hectors
Rep:
?
(Original post by kkboyk)
I taught myself for a few weeks, but then I got bored. One of my friends is pretty much a God of piano, she has a one hour tutorial per week and spend at least 20mins everyday practicing and viewing youtube tutorials.
Oh I see. Thanks
It's_Ailie
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago

This is as far as my musical knowledge goes, and it was 5 years ago that i last touched this.
Haha been there 😄
Personally i'd suggest you get some lessons, if you want to actually LEARN piano, as in be able to open a book of sheet music and play, understand all dat musicy stuff. However if you just want to be able to play a few songs, then YouTube tutorials will be fine as they show you the keyboard and say press these keys then these blah blah blah

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hectors
Rep:
?
(Original post by It's_Ailie)
Haha been there 😄
Personally i'd suggest you get some lessons, if you want to actually LEARN piano, as in be able to open a book of sheet music and play, understand all dat musicy stuff. However if you just want to be able to play a few songs, then YouTube tutorials will be fine as they show you the keyboard and say press these keys then these blah blah blah

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yeah I actually want to learn how to play. I always found pianists very interesting as to the way they can coordinate their eyes and hands so perfectly, it'd be a nice thing to do with my time to learn how to play. Also, having a piano at home for decoration purposes is kind of a waste of space :P
elsinor
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Hectors, I would recommend learning piano while you are still quite young, yes, I know you are a young adult at 19, but younger than me. I started 2 years ago with a tutor and I have progressed all but slowly and now I can play not difficult pieces but I can play a lot of reasonably easy pieces. I recommend you go for it too, and its best to find a good tutor. I have stuck with mine , even though I knew him before I took up piano, he is professional and knows my speed and my capabilities and knows when to push me further to more challenging stuff. It is such a good feeling when you achieve what you never thought you could do. You will need to also learn how to read music. And don't worry about using both hands , that comes easy. You will need lots to time to practice , there will be highs and lows, but stick at it like you are possessed, and you will win through. .
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How has the start of this academic year been for you?

Loving it - gonna be a great year (110)
17.94%
It's just nice to be back! (166)
27.08%
Not great so far... (220)
35.89%
I want to drop out! (117)
19.09%

Watched Threads