Taking full A Level Further Maths in Year 13? Risky? Watch

ValarMorghulis
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
Hello. I am currently in Year 12 and taking Maths, Physics, ICT, French and Spanish at AS level. I want to take the full Further Maths A Level in Year 13 so I could possibly do Physics at university. I would teach myself FP1, M1 and M2 over the summer with some help from my very mathsy friends and father, and then hopefully attend the A2 Further Maths classes at my school.

I am considering doing that alongside Maths, Physics and maybe French to A2 level. My question is that if I decided to drop French because it's a lot on my plate (meaning I'll only have a full A Level in Maths, Physics and Further Maths), would I be at a disadvantage when applying to universities if I only have two AS grades to show for in terms of the ones I'm doing a full A level in? How would I show on the UCAS form that I haven't got any FM grades to enter, but I am planning to take the full A Level? And if I do continue with French next year, how difficult would it be do AS and A2 FM in Year 13 alongside three A2s? Any experience?
username457532
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
For most physics courses further maths isn't essential. You can certainly study physics at uni without further maths. I have it to AS level but most of my physics student friends didn't take it.
crayolaguy
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
I'm doing A2 further maths this year alongside 2 A2's. It's very managable. I self teach the A2 part of it though (FP2, FP3, S2) and get taught the AS in school. Definitely take it.

edit: You just put it on UCAS as pending it's quite easy and universities do consider it.
Kevin De Bruyne
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
I took Maths, Physics, Chemistry and English Lit in Year 12, and dropped English Lit/ picked up an A level in Further Maths.

I can only imagine how difficult French must be/how much work you have to do for it, but I found that Maths and Further Maths kind of blended together so it didn't feel like a lot of extra work - though a lot of work had to be done.

It was a bit stressful having 14 exams (inc 1 resit), and they managed to timetable mine so that I had to do some back to back (on 2-3 occasions) but I enjoyed the challenge.

Also, I had a friend who only had 2 AS grades to show for what he was studying, exactly like you've described, but he was predicted an A for FM and got an offer for Engineering at Bath, so that worked out well.
Placeboo123
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Maths should be enough to study physics at most universities.
You could potentially be disadvantaged when applying to universities as you'll only have maths to show your competency in mathematics.
That's not to say you shouldn't give it a go to at least AS, most likely benefit you at uni.
morgan8002
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
It's not required to take further maths for physics, but would be helpful.
I take A2 further maths alongside biology, chemistry, physics and STEP, so it is manageable. AS further maths is easy in comparison to A2 maths and further maths, so that shouldn't put too much extra work on you.
To show it on UCAS, just put all of your module grades as pending and put the dates for next year's series.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Bournemouth University
    Midwifery Open Day at Portsmouth Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 16 Oct '19
  • Teesside University
    All faculties open Undergraduate
    Wed, 16 Oct '19
  • University of the Arts London
    London College of Fashion – Cordwainers Footwear and Bags & Accessories Undergraduate
    Wed, 16 Oct '19

How has the start of this academic year been for you?

Loving it - gonna be a great year (128)
18.21%
It's just nice to be back! (193)
27.45%
Not great so far... (251)
35.7%
I want to drop out! (131)
18.63%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed