_bindra
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
Hello, I have just been stumped by the diagram needed for this question. I have checked solution bank but dont understand why they have used (0.8 + x) and (0.8 - x) for the extension of each spring. Please if possible could you help, it would be greatly appreciated!

A particle P of mass 0.4kg is attatched to two identical light elastic springs each of length 1.2m and modulus of elasticity 12 N. The free ends of the strings are attatched to points A and B which are 4m apart on a smooth horizontal surface. The point C lies between A and B with AC = 1.4m and CB = 2.6m. The particle is held at C and released from rest.

a) show that P moves with SHM
Puddles the Monkey
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by _bindra)
Hello, I have just been stumped by the diagram needed for this question. I have checked solution bank but dont understand why they have used (0.8 + x) and (0.8 - x) for the extension of each spring. Please if possible could you help, it would be greatly appreciated!

A particle P of mass 0.4kg is attatched to two identical light elastic springs each of length 1.2m and modulus of elasticity 12 N. The free ends of the strings are attatched to points A and B which are 4m apart on a smooth horizontal surface. The point C lies between A and B with AC = 1.4m and CB = 2.6m. The particle is held at C and released from rest.

Heya, I'm going to put this in the Maths forum for you as you should get more responses there.You should also check out the forum to see if there's any other threads there which might be helpful to you!http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=38
ghostwalker
  • Study Helper
Badges: 16
Report 4 years ago

At the midpoint of AB (the equilibrium position), each spring will have extension (4-1.2-1.2)/2=0.8

If we take x to be the displacement from the midpoint of AB, then the extension are 0.8+x, and 0.8-x
_bindra
Rep:
?
(Original post by ghostwalker)
At the midpoint of AB (the equilibrium position), each spring will have extension (4-1.2-1.2)/2=0.8

If we take x to be the displacement from the midpoint of AB, then the extension are 0.8+x, and 0.8-x
oh I see, thank you very much
tiny hobbit
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
oh I see, thank you very much
Note that the equilibrium is in the middle of AB because the strings are identical. If they were not, you'd have to work out where the equilibrium position was and measure x from there.
_bindra
Rep:
?
(Original post by tiny hobbit)
Note that the equilibrium is in the middle of AB because the strings are identical. If they were not, you'd have to work out where the equilibrium position was and measure x from there.

Brilliant! Thanks a lot
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• The University of Law
    The Bar Series: Applications and Interviews - London Bloomsbury campus Postgraduate
    Thu, 17 Oct '19
  • Cardiff Metropolitan University
    Undergraduate Open Day - Llandaff Campus Undergraduate
    Sat, 19 Oct '19
  • Coventry University
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 19 Oct '19

How has the start of this academic year been for you?

Loving it - gonna be a great year (140)
17.86%
It's just nice to be back! (212)
27.04%
Not great so far... (281)
35.84%
I want to drop out! (151)
19.26%

Watched Threads