Ploft
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
So in Baddeley's 1966 experiment it says:
Participants were given lists of words with similar sounds (e.g. cat, mat...), similar meaning (large, big...) or lists of dissimilar words. Over the short term, there were many errors with similar sounding (acoustically similar) words, but in the long-term, mistakes were made for material with a similar meaning (semantically similar). Baddeley concluded that the STM uses acoustic processing, and LTM uses semantic processing. However, the study is limited in that it only tests memory for words, and visual processing is not accounted for.
(Copied from
http://mindsandmodels.blogspot.co.uk/)

However this doesn't seem to make sense to me. Can someone explain why these conslusions on how LTM and STM are encoded are drawn from the results here. Surely difficulty in recalling acoustically similar words would mean STM is unlikely to encode acoustically?

Thanks
Loz19
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Is there a specific question you are trying to answer when using Baddeley? I may be able to help if so!
Unicorndog
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
I done memory last year but from what I can remember (hah):

Short term memories are stored acoustically, evidence showing that its more difficult to remember words that sound similar tell us that sound is important for storing short term memories or it wouldn't matter how they sounded.

I get what you mean though, it does read a bit odd.
Hope that makes sense
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Cardiff Metropolitan University
    Undergraduate Open Day - Llandaff Campus Undergraduate
    Sat, 19 Oct '19
  • Coventry University
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 19 Oct '19
  • University of Birmingham
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 19 Oct '19

Have you made up your mind on your five uni choices?

Yes I know where I'm applying (55)
67.9%
No I haven't decided yet (17)
20.99%
Yes but I might change my mind (9)
11.11%

Watched Threads