simplestand
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
Hi all,

I have been considering applying for either midwifery or nursing for the 2016 intake but I am unsure which I want to do. I have been offered a voluntary Health Care Assistant Internship. The position is 2 days a week for 6 months. The job description says the role is aimed at people with no health care experience who want to become Nurses and states that people who do well in the role will get offered a place for Nursing in Feb 2016. I want to know if universities will accept this experience for Midwifery or will this look bad on my application if I decide that I would rather do Midwifery.

I have no other health care experience and worry that I will struggle to find such good experience in a hospital setting.

Thanks
deviant182
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Any experience is better than no experience.
And as you've said you don't know if you're going to apply for nursing or midwifery then maybe the position will help that. As when you apply they like you to know why and what it is you're applying for. Nursing and midwifery are very different.
So volunteer and see if you can find anywhere else that you can get midwifery experience. If not don't worry about it! Universities like to see what it is you're planning on doing and if you're suited.

Posted from TSR Mobile
LouieSax
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Hey!
That experience is definitely worth taking no matter what you decide to do.
I am a HCA (Highly recommend it) and I want to go into Occupational Therapy!
However, is you DO decide to go into midwifery in the end, you may want to try and get some midwifery experience, remember midwifery is about both the parents AND the babies so get some experience of both.
Volunteer at some parent baby classes
Apply for work experience at major hospitals to shadow midwives
Volunteer in a creche for an hour a week.
Anything which will improve your application!

If you want to go into Nursing however, other experiences could include work experience at a local hospital and pretty much anything you can do to work with people, particularly in your branch of interest i.e. Learning Disabilities (Think Learning Disability units both in schools and in the community), Mental Health (think charities such as Mind and the Alzheimer's Society), Adult (think hospital etc.) or children (think creche, schools and of course also includes adults as well i.e. parents)

The HCA position is good for any health care career in my opinion because it gives you a range of different skills and teaches you a lot about different health conditions and how these affect people. I would recommend it. But keep looking for other experiences which would really build on your application and possibly help you decide between the two careers!
Hope this helps xx
rachaelftw
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Any experience you have, is better than none at all.
It will give you the experience they look at when applying for courses, give you confidence and background knowledge etc.

But there's also no better way to learn than to go out and literally see and experience it for yourself. You can observe nurses and see how they work or whatever, and actually see what it's like so you know what you're getting into!

Good luck, and I hope you enjoy yourself!
simplestand
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
Hi Again

I really need some more advice please. I am beginning to lean more towards midwifery and my head is telling me that taking this experience would be a problem when it comes to applying for uni. When you apply do you just have to state that this is the experience I have done, where I have done it, how long I did it for and what tasks I actually did? Or do you have to state how you got it? (would it involve me saying that it was set up by the hospital and that it was actually for nursing?) I don't want the universities that I am applying to to look on it badly as though I want to be a nurse or that I am flip flopping between the two. Because then there would be no point in taking it. Also do you have to put down contact details of where you gained work experience so that the university has proof that you attended? If you do what will the universities be asking them will it purely be did she attend and how long for, or would it be how did she get on there and what is she like?

My mind is telling me two different things, that it will either all work out and that it is valid experience or that it will all get in a mess and my application will get thrown out because it looks as though I don't know what I want to be.

And then there would be the awkward moment when I have to tell the hospital actually I have decided I don't want to be a nurse and that I have decided to apply for midwifery and you may be contacted by the uni etc.

Should I take the experience or risk leaving it and struggling to get any healthcare experience at all, never mind in a hospital again (it may have to be in a care home).

Also this experience is at my local hospital so i wouldn't feel able to write to them asking for experience and saying that I wanted to do midwifery if I turned this down and that means that I would have to go further afield.
Happy_Holidays
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
One option that may be worth considering is doing the internship you're being offered, then doing your nursing training, then (if you still want to be a midwife) applying for the conversion course. It would mean much better experience before doing your midwifery training, I'm guessing being paid through all your training, and having 2 registrations so you always have something to fall back on.

Posted from TSR Mobile
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Bristol
    Undergraduate Open Afternoon Undergraduate
    Wed, 23 Oct '19
  • University of Exeter
    Undergraduate Open Day - Penryn Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 23 Oct '19
  • University of Nottingham
    Mini Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 23 Oct '19

Have you made up your mind on your five uni choices?

Yes I know where I'm applying (120)
64.86%
No I haven't decided yet (39)
21.08%
Yes but I might change my mind (26)
14.05%

Watched Threads