Tory leadership reveal their true colours in trying to oust Bercow Watch

Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
"In an extraordinarily bad tempered debate in the Commons today, David Cameron was accused of behaving in a "petty and spiteful" way after ambushing Labour with a last minute parliamentary manoeuvre that would change the rules on how the Speaker is elected after the general election. While William Hague was branded a "grubby, cowardly assassin".

http://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/2015/03/26/john-becow-im-not-going-anywhere_n_6946098.html

I'm appalled at these politicians. Why is it you have to be a greasy slime ball to get to the top of the cabinet?

Massive respect to Charles Walker for his honesty.
Jammy Duel
  • Political Ambassador
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
They were trying to oust him, were they? Anything to suggest this, or is it just Labour supporting media rhetoric?
Baron of Sealand
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Jammy Duel)
They were trying to oust him, were they? Anything to suggest this, or is it just Labour supporting media rhetoric?
You mean the fact that the plan was proposed by William Hague, supported only by Tory MPs, and voted for only by Tory MPs are not evidence whatsoever?
Jammy Duel
  • Political Ambassador
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by clh_hilary)
You mean the fact that the plan was proposed by William Hague, supported only by Tory MPs, and voted for only by Tory MPs are not evidence whatsoever?
I saw the presentation of it and have been out at one place or another most of the time since. Whether an explicit attempt to oust him or not, the points made still stand (and in all likelihood, despite this, he probably will retain his position as speaker).
Baron of Sealand
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
I saw the presentation of it and have been out at one place or another most of the time since. Whether an explicit attempt to oust him or not, the points made still stand (and in all likelihood, despite this, he probably will retain his position as speaker).
It doesn't.

It's public knowledge that despite Mr Speaker being from the Conservative Party in the past, he only has support from Labour. Very few Tories voted him in, and they have just recently doubted his promise on resigning speakership mid-term next term.
Rep:
?
Filing for a motion less than 24 hours before it's set to be voted on?
Briefing tories to vote for the motion at a time when labour MPs were absent/unaware it had been filed.

Jw do you have anything to suggest it wasn't or are you just a one nation tory?
democracyforum
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
I thought it was disgraceful,

I think he's a great speaker. Bercow has never been wrong too.

People should not shout, be rude, interrupt, or gang up on the opposition.
scrotgrot
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Absolutely disgraceful. It's all just a game to these overgrown public schoolboys, but it's our country and our lives they're playing with. Bercow is pompous and sanctimonious but he is worth more than all the Tory party put together. I guess he committed the grave error of drawing support from Labour, occasionally shutting up the Tories baying and daring to submit ministers to parliamentary scrutiny. None of this chimes with the Tory right to rule stuff.

A fittingly ignominious end to William Hague's career too.

For what it's worth (not much when we have important things to be thinking about), the speaker probably ought to be elected by secret ballot. But not by an ambush vote on the last day of parliament and not as an obvious personal attack on Bercow
Jammy Duel
  • Political Ambassador
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by 105263)
Filing for a motion less than 24 hours before it's set to be voted on?
Briefing tories to vote for the motion at a time when labour MPs were absent/unaware it had been filed.
And well aware Bercow will almost certainly remain speaker?

Jw do you have anything to suggest it wasn't or are you just a one nation tory?
Jw, do you understand one nation toryism, because I don't see the relevance

Posted from TSR Mobile
Rep:
?
And well aware Bercow will almost certainly remain speaker?

Jw, do you understand one nation toryism, because I don't see the relevance

Posted from TSR Mobile
It was a blatant attempt to undermine the speaker. Charles Walker certainly agrees with this and yes he's a conservative MP who commissioned the report. There's naivety and there's blindness..
Observatory
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by 105263)
It was a blatant attempt to undermine the speaker.
Granted, but what's so terrible about that? Bercow is not some sage elder statesman who cares only for integrity and correct procedure. He has been a politicised candidate from Day 1, a Tory candidate supported almost exclusively by Labour votes because they knew that he hated and was hated by much of the Conservative Party. The Tories are retaliating now that they think they're strong enough. The whole business is grubby but it didn't begin two days ago.
KingStannis
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
I never understood there was so much underlying politics of the speaker. He seems to do a good job to me, he has some great banter.

If he's a Tory why do labour love him. Don't understand the situation to be honest. Why would, exactly a secret ballot automatically get him out?
democracyforum
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Hopefully in the next pariliament he treats them all like sh*t

Only opposition should be allowd to ask questions at PMQs,
we're sick to death of Tories kissing their own backsides
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you made up your mind on your five uni choices?

Yes I know where I'm applying (129)
64.18%
No I haven't decided yet (43)
21.39%
Yes but I might change my mind (29)
14.43%

Watched Threads