tso
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
For the past few years I've been flooded with revision techniques and tips. None of them seem to work. I'm currently in year 10 and I've got my mocks in about 4 weeks time. I've literally tried everything and it doesn't work for me. I can't remember study cases or equations or definitions. The worst part about the expectations, I'm in all the top sets but I haven't been doing well with exams just for this reason, I'm great at coursework but exams are a real pain. Any suggestions to memorise/learn/revise stuff?
shawn_o1
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Past Paper Practice

(your Maths and Science textbooks should have lots of questions for you to answer; as for English, well I got a C so can't really help you there)
Leah3852
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
There's an app called ' Brainscrape' that I really recommend for remembering facts and case studies. It allows you to make flash cards and each time you answer a question you can rate on a scale from 1-5 how well you answer each question and if you rated it 1 it will regularly repeat this question, however if you rated it 5 it won't repeat this question as much .
inachigeek21
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
What mocks have you got coming up?
Fatimah21
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by tso)
For the past few years I've been flooded with revision techniques and tips. None of them seem to work. I'm currently in year 10 and I've got my mocks in about 4 weeks time. I've literally tried everything and it doesn't work for me. I can't remember study cases or equations or definitions. The worst part about the expectations, I'm in all the top sets but I haven't been doing well with exams just for this reason, I'm great at coursework but exams are a real pain. Any suggestions to memorise/learn/revise stuff?
You're like my education twin :five:
Honestly, I haven't been revising much either and my first exam is next week! (Religion and Life Issues)
Try doing past papers to see what you're good at and what you need work on. Try making up a few abbreviations for some equations (SOHCAHTOA is useful in maths)
And if you really cannot definition, try to come up with a unique or funny way of remembering it along with the proper definition.
Watch some videos about the topic, this always helps me!
Good Luck!
aimeelovescats
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
I am the exact same, I'm finding it so hard to study and can't seem to take in the information no matter which method I try even though my coursework grades are fine and I'm in the top sets. If you find anything that really works well It'd be interesting to hear.
skyde
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by tso)
well you see i know how you feel right now i'm in yr 10 and my GCSEs are in a week or so and i couldn't revise to but i found something really helpful write the topic you learned my eg will be chemistry and around your topic write down all you know about it without looking at your books and than when you think your done look over your book and see if there is anything you didnt write thats what you need to revise
than once you figured out what you need to revise read it out loud and record what you say and play it to your self again and again if you learn by listening to things
if not listening and doing than make a poster or something on that week point and if your both than do both
this helped me
try it it dosent bite
tso
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
(Original post by skyde)
well you see i know how you feel right now i'm in yr 10 and my GCSEs are in a week or so and i couldn't revise to but i found something really helpful write the topic you learned my eg will be chemistry and around your topic write down all you know about it without looking at your books and than when you think your done look over your book and see if there is anything you didnt write thats what you need to revise
than once you figured out what you need to revise read it out loud and record what you say and play it to your self again and again if you learn by listening to things
if not listening and doing than make a poster or something on that week point and if your both than do both
this helped me
try it it dosent bite
(Original post by aimeelovescats)
I am the exact same, I'm finding it so hard to study and can't seem to take in the information no matter which method I try even though my coursework grades are fine and I'm in the top sets. If you find anything that really works well It'd be interesting to hear.
(Original post by Fatimah21)
You're like my education twin :five:
Honestly, I haven't been revising much either and my first exam is next week! (Religion and Life Issues)
Try doing past papers to see what you're good at and what you need work on. Try making up a few abbreviations for some equations (SOHCAHTOA is useful in maths)
And if you really cannot definition, try to come up with a unique or funny way of remembering it along with the proper definition.
Watch some videos about the topic, this always helps me!
Good Luck!
Thanks guys!

I've been trying out mocks and some of your tips for the past week and i got my first result back for my English Language mock which was an A!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of East Anglia
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sun, 20 Oct '19
  • University for the Creative Arts
    Sun, 20 Oct '19
  • University of Gloucestershire
    Sun, 20 Oct '19

Have you made up your mind on your five uni choices?

Yes I know where I'm applying (66)
66%
No I haven't decided yet (21)
21%
Yes but I might change my mind (13)
13%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed