Social Life At Queen Mary - What's it like? Watch

NickEgg
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
I'm thinking of applying to Queen Mary for Management. I'd be a mature student (23) when I started but I intend to stay in halls and go out partying and everything :yep:

Would I fit in as a mature student? Does Queen Mary have a good SU/societies/clubs etc.? Do they hold Balls like other uni societies do? What's it like in halls? Are there a lot of international students due to it being a London uni and are they less likely to want to go out? Would you say it's a "party uni"?

Thanks
r-t
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by NickEgg)
I'm thinking of applying to Queen Mary for Management. I'd be a mature student (23) when I started but I intend to stay in halls and go out partying and everything :yep:

Would I fit in as a mature student? Does Queen Mary have a good SU/societies/clubs etc.? Do they hold Balls like other uni societies do? What's it like in halls? Are there a lot of international students due to it being a London uni and are they less likely to want to go out? Would you say it's a "party uni"?

Thanks
I say uni life is what you make of it. I can't comment on queen Mary specifically because I don't know but every uni will have societies to a certain extent and people who enjoy partying like yourself. Even if they don't have any societies that interest you or you don't meet any party animals then you can easily meet people in night clubs etc. it's your attitude that matters not your age. If you are fun, kind and outgoing then you'll fit in better than someone who is younger but rude and boring.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Spacecupcake
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by NickEgg)

Thanks
As someone who is about to graduate from QMUL, I'd say it's brilliant. The student union is brilliant and there is a society for everyone. You are automatically part of the SU the minuet you enrol into the university, but you don't have to be part of any societies if you don't want. Like everyone says uni life is what you make it.

There is a student Union bar called Drapers and you will develop a love-hate relationship with it. I say this because you will pass in happy on a Wednesday night at 'pound stretchers' and have the worst hangover on a Thursday morning from all the red beer you drank. If you are a little punk or indie or whatever alternative you are, 'mondays calling' will be the one for you. It plays Oasis to block party to queen to bands I have never heard of BUT I still go because it's cool to be chill, talk to awesome people and be outside in smoking area (this is where you will make all you friends and other acquaintances :cool: ) ALSO, on the last Wednesday of the month 'HAIL MARY' happens. I'm not going to tell you because you have to be there. Does this answer your question ' is it a party uni?' ?

Also the uni is on the central line which means you have access to central London, if you have money, then be there to your hearts content. ALSO Bricklane is 25-30 mins walk, and Shorditch is a short bus journey away.

Depending on what department you are in, some do balls. Physics definitely do, I'm a chemist and I have gone to them but chemistry dont do them. Alot of societies do balls such as ACS (african and Caribbean society), Iranian society, Pakistani society, Sports club awards. Any big society does a ball.

As for fitting in, you will do just fine, I know a 35 y/o student who is just about to graduate from his masters. Everyone loves him and he is just so lovely to be aroud. I really don't think this is an issue. I am 23 and is about to leave.

As for Foreign students - if you are living in halls you will find American students everywhere, and you might meet a few Europeans. All in all the uni is populated with a lot of British Asians because the uni is situated in East London.

oh and the library is super fun on the first floor as I bump into all my mates for a chit chat then I go up stairs to the quiet area to study.
elfess
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
literally this ^
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Queen Mary University of London
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 5 Oct '19

Are you tempted to change your firm university choice now or on A-level results day?

Yes, I'll try and go to a uni higher up the league tables (131)
19.12%
Yes, there is a uni that I prefer and I'll fit in better (68)
9.93%
No I am happy with my course choice (390)
56.93%
I'm using Clearing when I have my exam results (96)
14.01%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed